SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image maps, messy or clean?

I am currently working on a project that allows users to submit information for each state in the United States. To make a user friendly GUI I decided to make an image outline of the US and make it into an image map.

A couple problems I am having with the feasability of this. #1 it requires a TON of code, each state has jagged corners and as such the image map coords get very complex. I am using Image Ready.

What are everyones thoughts on this? Are image maps a clean way to go these days? I could do this in flash and make it clean and simple but then I have to code for flash detection and make an alternative and all of that. (flash isn't the best medium for my audience)

I always get fustrated with image maps because they just don't seem like a clean efficient way to go. Also, although I haven't done much usability with them I am skeptical on their effectiveness for GUI design.
    Feel free to e-mail me any questions, jobs rants, whatever...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd work in one of two ways. Either go the flash route with a "text" based alternative, or, if you will use image maps, divide the states up into bigger "chunks" first. Remember to give all anchors names and id's to help with the usability aspect.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, yeah I'm probably going to go with the Flash and Text alternative on this one. I always hate to go through the extra work but in the end I am never satisfied with Image maps. They look ugly when you click them too! It just seems like such old technology! I remember first using them back in 95' or something!!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using a db for the data? If so, the text based alternative really shouldn't be too much work...

I haven't messed with Flash and DB access, but have heard that it is very efficient as of MX.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and on top of it I am using Cold Fusion for my backend, so it all works together nicely!