Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
Hate to break it to you ds, but computers have more than 1K of memory these days. There's saving space, and then there's useless pedantry
No, but there are overloaded servers from the "cheap" hosting companies that slap far too many sites on each server to keep their overhead low. So, simple optimization is never a bad idea.

I think DS's point is simple - if the comment makes sense, then by all means, keep it. But if the comment is something that can be figured out with half a brain, then why keep a comment that doesn't add value.

The start and stop of blocks he posted were a prime example - though to be honest, Ive used this if there was complex looping or if logic occurring until I had time to refactor it later...

Another would be commented out code - in the era of source control, why would you ever place code in production that's commented out unless it was only going to be gone for a day or two? I've seen code that's been commented out that is still in production code 4-5 years later - needless to say, when I'm done, that code is no longer there....