SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with HOW to build my site

Hello guys. Since a couple of months I've been working on a players vs players website. The idea is to provide crutial informations to help players to improve their game play, tactics and such of things. So I built my site with dreamweaver and then offered hosting for quality websites dedicated to the type of game I want to cover. The fact it that there's not much ppl who have such of quality website and most applications I received were not even close to be related to the topic of the site. So I got tired and decided to rebuild the whole site to be more professional.

So now I will have to find a way to let's ppl update the site by posting content and news. I wanted some idea on how to manage this stuff because I looked at some CMS but I didn't find what I was looking for. I'd appreciate to get some feedbacks from anyone who have some experiences on how such of gaming network are managed. The main problem is that ppl who play the game and are interested in working on a site sometimes don't know much about HTML so I can't just tell them to use dreamweaver.. they need something easier to work with.

So If anyone have some ideas please let's me know because I'm about to give up.

Thanks a lot

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was talking to this person about it...first, it started out he wanted a news script..then the he wanted the script to be able to have people comments, then that escalated to he wanted people to login/register. at that point, he also said if there was ways people could do other stuff..and he wanted me alone to do it..i was like WTH! oh ok ok..
    so to make a long story short, i said it could be done, but i'd go with a forum backbone. making a seperate forum for news and announcements and using PHP to pull from the MySQL tables. he had also mentioned the fact that he wanted to have people to be able upload pics so that they can post their 'A' game; which is still a frontier for me.
    so that's my 2 cents, use a php backbone, which will also include for you a pre-configed-content-management system
    InQuE

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I doubt I could do it that way

Look at this site:
    uo.stratics.com

It's one of the most famous site for MMORPG. They have a lot of ppl working on the site who manage the content.. but it's not using any forums stuff.. Anyone got an idea?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, using PHP is what you need to do.

Not a forum backend, just a regular MySQL database would do it.

You can easily create a CMS and allow people who have no knowledge of HTML update the web site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've heard of a few ppl who did it but I'm clueless on how to do it by myself..

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy yourself a good book on how to do this.

I don't personally own it, but I have heard good things about Kevin Yank's book. Look around SP, I'm sure you will find the link.

Start browsing through beginners tutorials on PHP on the Internet. If you need help with any specific function in PHP - check out PHP.net.

If you still can't figure it out, the SP Forums have a PHP sub-forum where you can post your questions. There is lots of experts there who will help you with any questions you may have.

And don't be afraid to experiment with PHP.

Good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found exactly what I was looking for.. at least I hope because I didn't install it, only tryed the demo script..

http://www.snippetmaster.com/

There's no way a script could be more simple. It let's you update from browser with a HTML newb proof interface and if you need xtra scripts for news and such of things you can add them.. simple and great!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking at the script I see that users cannot create new pages using it. Anyone know where I could find a script similar to this one but with the ability to create new pages?

Thanks

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn PHP. Scripts won't help you in building a quality web site. But then again its up to you the quality you want.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm ok I guess I will have to give it a second try then..
    Thanks