SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast MonsterZero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Does One Learn Web Positioning?

This seems to be developing into a mini-career in itself. There are developers who spend a considerable amount of time doing it, companies making money for positioning services, etc.

What is the best way to learn this? Sure, there's SitePoint as others have pointed out, but I'm afraid my knowledge is so superficial I wouldn't even know HOW TO ASK many of the questions. It takes a bit of skill to start talking to experts asking the right questions.

I heard about fairly expensive online seminars that offer search engine education using websites, e-mail and printed material to explain concepts.

Anything else?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best advice I can tell you is to take anything with a grain of salt. There are plenty of people out there who are all talk about who really don't know what they're talking about.

Also sine this field is always changing you can't really go learn it. Learning should be a constant activity.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Aspen said, you shouldn't believe everything you read. But you can ask how others have learned and go by their results as an indicator of how well they demonstrate theuir knowledge of SEO

SEO is a constant, evolving "discipline", if you will. I wouldnt suggest buying books or attending seminars, as most of the information that is pout out there will be obsolete in a few weeks time.

Read these forums and other search engine related forums out there and you will find a plethora of knowledge. There are basic strategies that most SEO's use to optimize thier pages, i.e. keyword rich domains, title tags, meta tags (debatable), keyword rich content, link popularity, etc.

Stick to the basics and then tweak it until you reach #1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just have to dive in yourself and see, it takes experience. Advice will help but you really do have to have experience yourself.