SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to apologize in advance for my newbie questions. That said...

How do I register a domain name and use it? Suppose if I want to register my domain with TotalNIC, and I know that this certain name is available. What am I supposed to do after I register it with TotalNIC?
    I'm kinda confused about the DNS thing. What is it? do I have to have one already? or do they provide it? how do I move that DNS from their server to one of my choosing? And what am I supposed to look for in a server hosting plan that should let me transfer my domain/DNS to their server?

Some hosting plans say they will host your domain for free. Will they charge anything related to the DNS? or better question, what am I supposed to look for in a plan about DNS?

And if I'm forgetting something, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    kankohi

Chicken
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Registering with totalnic is fine. When you register a domain with them, you have the option of parking the domain for free (not using it now, but just using the info they supply on the form), or using your own DNS.

DNS lets every computer in the world know where to find your site (in layman's terms). When you sign up with a host, they will give you (or have the info available on their site) the DNS info you need.

You can change this from the totalnic site.

First step is to register the domain (you'd be surprised how quick someone else can snag the domain), and either park it or enter DNS info for a host you have chosen. The host will provide you with this info (or as I said it might be on the site).

Start here.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

hope my domain is still available

-kankohi