SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am considering starting a web site which will target webmasters from around the world. Would I be better off chosing a company to host my site located in the US or choose one which is located near where I live (Brisbane, Australia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be moree of a benifit to find a host that will provide you and your site with the services that you need. where it is hosted is as important as how well it is hosted.

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there Wilmot.

I too am from Brisbane Australia. Good to see fellow webmasters from down under.

If your website is to be targetted at people worldwide then I recommend that you get your site hosted in the US. This is because the largest percentage of your visitors are likely to be from the US.

Also, hosting here down under is very expensive. Look at www.webcentral.com.au the best in my opinion hosting company in Australia. They are VERY expensive.

You'll save money and get a better response time for most of your visitors if you get your site hosted in the US.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about Australia, but for where I live (Lithuania) hosting worldwide targeted site on local server wasn't an option just because biggest ISP here has only 10mbps to Sweden, etc. Also competition in north america is very high making the prices very affordable. I personally have no need to be able to come and kick the server hosting my site if the support team can do this

------------------
    Alan Mendelevich aka ailon
    New! ArticleCentral.com - The content directory for web professionals. Monitoring hundreds of web development related sites, daily.
    Visit MEGOPhotos - Quality photos for FREE