SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I signed up with jumpline.net yesterday and 24 hours latter I have not receive any email yet, and they said it would be in four hours.

Does anybody know how long this process will take??

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it took around 24 hours for them to respond when I signed up about a month ago. However, they had some kind of 'meltdown' over the weekend, causing my service to be terminated and all my files deleted
    I tried to get through over the weekend, but was unable. When I got through Monday, they fixed the problem very quickly (as they should!).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ChrRmr,
    I am considering using jumpline to host a site I am developing and yours is one of the few negative posts regarding jumpline I have come across. Would you reccommend them? Thanks for your input.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just which from jumpline to digiweb.com

Jumpline just don't offer enough for $15 or the $25 package. I recondmen you go with digiweb at only $19.95 per month you get 100MB of storage and Unlimited Bandwidth.

------------------
    KHN
    Looking for Webmaster Resources??
    Click Here Now!
    www.thefreeguide.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That depends on what you want to do, i notice that digiweb makes a charge of $25 to setup mSQL database - not the best database MySQL is better and free with jumpline.

Jumpline offers everything that digiweb does. Jumpline will do unlimited email pop boxes for a $10 setup fee, not $35.

Most companies that offer unlimited bandwidth usually don't have the bandwidth to cope with it. Jumpline most certainly do.

Digiweb also does not mention if your site will have it's own ip address or wether it will be shared with multiple sites. Jumpline gives your site it's own IP address which means even very old browsers can find it.

BTW I don't work for jumpline either - I am just a satisfied webmaster who has multiple sites on jumpline.

I must admit that they did take over 24 hours to send out the login details for our account, but that was due to stupidity on my part (I typed the email address wrong).

------------------
    Karl Austin
    Webmaster - http://www.lincs.co.uk - Giving PHP a fair chance.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digiweb do offer and IP address and one of my friend have already used 200 gigs of bandwidth with not extra charge.

Jumpline said they charge $10 extra per gigs, which equals to $2000 at jumpline for 200 gigs. Digiweb do also you to have more than one web site which is an $10 extra charge.

------------------
    KHN
    Looking for Webmaster Resources??
    Click Here Now!
    www.thefreeguide.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey kehena,
    sorry for not replying sooner, but I just came back from a serious snow-shooing trip in Colorado

True, I did have that one problem with Jumpline, but that is the only bad experience I have had with them. Once I got hold of the service department, they promptly fixed the problem. So, yes, I would recomend them. You get everything you need to set up a site (especially if you are planning on doing some php3 & mySQL coding) at a price that is hard to beat.

Christian

Matt Mickiewicz
    SitePoint Community Guest
    More on Jumpline.net at:
    http://www.webmaster-resources.com/f...ML/000123.html

------------------
    http://www.webmaster-resources.com
    Articles, Reviews & Resources for webmasters!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jumpline has been so good to me over the last 1.5 years, that I did not tell anyone about them, except for special friends or customers. (Guess I didn't want them to get too over-crowded)
    Well, now I would not recommend them to anyone. I have always known that their customer support was terrible, and luckily, I did not need much support from them.

Within the last month, their servers have slowed way down. What used to be the fastest web host I have ever found, is now terrible. They must be overcrowding their servers. The server loads are never below 1.00 anymore.
    Recently, they upgraded my control panel and when they did that, all files that start with a . dot do not show up for me anymore. All of my .htaccess files disapeared, via FTP and Telnet, however they were still there and working, I just couldnt edit them. I contact them, and they say to use the control panel to do all password setups. Yeah right! You can do alot more with .htaccess than just passwords! Their support pages even tell you to modify the .htaccess file for various thins. Ugh.

To make a long story short, we went back and forth for over 3 weeks, and they finally put me back to normal.

But still remains the terrible customer support issue, slow loading pages, and high load averages. Ahh well.. it's no wonder that so many people hop from web host to web host. Boing Boing Boing..

Jumplines average load times at this moment:
    12:15am up 9 days, 55 min, 3 users, load average: 0.69, 1.43, 1.71

[This message has been edited by Katana Man (edited January 20, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been with Jumpline sence the Netquest days and I will have to admit that the customer service does bite a bit. A person use to be able to phone them up to have questions answered and now everything has to be sent in by a form and then there is a 1 to 3 day turn around time.
    They are going through what they are calling a "major upgrade" from their server. I tried to upload some files on Monday morning and my password didn't work. I called up the sales office and asked them what the deal was and that's when I was told about the upgrade. All passwords were changed to what they wanted them to be for the upgrade but a person was able to change them back through the new menu option.
    As for upload and download times, this past month has been slower than normal every now and them but that's from what they are calling a temp. upgrade problem. If they stop playing with there system, I always seem to have a decent upload and download time.
    I'm always looking for a bigger and better deal when it comes to a server. The way I figure it, for the money, Jumpline is the best out there for my site at the present time.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason that jumpline probably don't know what is happening is because they are not a proper ISP, they are a virtual ISP. All of jumplines hosting is done through Alabanza.

If you want better support than jumpline give you on there web site then I usggest you visit : - http://knowledgebase.alabanza.com/ and have a look round.

I hope that this clears a few things up for some people, it certainly enlightened me.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    Webmaster - http://www.lincs.co.uk - Giving PHP a fair chance.