SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face table tag still king!

Well for the last 3 days I have tried and tried and tried to convert my site from tables and HTML 4 to DIV tags, style sheets and XHTML...

after sleepless nights and dozens of cans of Coke I came to the conclusion...it can't be done!

Well okay it might be possible in the long run... but I can do it far quicker, better, and have it show "exactly" the same in all current and past browsers just by using tables!

current (so called "standards compliant") browsers show things more differently with the same code than the old NN4.7 vs IE6 problems

All I wanted was a simple page layout of a double header then a 3 column main area and a footer. Done far easier in tables then anything else...

I will probably move away from the use of tables but not for this re-design.

-just my 2 cents worth...

-Jeremy

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: table tag still king!

it can't be done![/i]
    yes it can...

I can do it far quicker, better, and have it show "exactly" the same in all current and past browsers just by using tables!
    Not true. Not all browsers display tables. And of those that do, not all display them exactly the same.

current (so called "standards compliant") browsers show things more differently with the same code than the old NN4.7 vs IE6 problems
    That's actually far from true. IE 6 and Netscape 7 (Mozilla 1.0) have much more in common than IE4 vs NS4. For instance, IE4 used <div> while NS4 used <layer> !

All I wanted was a simple page layout of a double header then a 3 column main area and a footer. Done far easier in tables then anything else...
    That depends on who's writing the code. I can do that much easier with CSS and a few DIVs than you can with tables!

The bottom line is this: (x)HTML+CSS is far easier once you understand it as it was meant to be used. However, if you don't take the time to understand it, then yes... you will be more confused with CSS than with TABLEs and FONT tags.

Keep it in perspective... when you first started learning HTML, it didn't all make sense either. But you played with it and got the hang of it. Same thing here...
    ----Adopt-a-Sig----
    Your message here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can't wait to figure out css

I also recently tried to make an all css/xhtml layout. I really like the power of presentation you get with css, but for me, its WAAAAAY easier to do it with tables.

i spent 3 days trying to figure out the styles for a site and it looked like i vomited all over my monitor (which i almost did a couple of times out of frustration). then i said screw it, and did the whole thing in less than a day.

i do realize however that this was my first attempt at a css layout. although it was a miserable failure, I WON'T GIVE UP!!! i'm going home tonight and i'm going to start coding fake websites till i understand what's going on.

i remember being this frustrated when i started learning tables too.
    Ladies and gentlemen, Shaggy Higgins
    "Almost there. Only a couple of more times over the horizon."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    randem,

I do agree that tables are on the way out, and that once you know div and css it is probably better.. my point is for the here and now it's not worth it.

as for learning anything.. tables are much a much simpler tag, so there is no comparing them. (tables I knew in less then a day, and coded them by hand for the last 6 years with-out a problem *okay maybe a few problems but nothing major over the years)

I can get a table to span 100% with a logo aligned top left and a navigation alinged top right.. in 2 secs... with DIV and styles 3 days later and still nothing that looks the same in IE6 as it does in Mozilla 1.0

and yes I know this is not the standards way or the accessabilty way.. but that I can live with-out for now.

I have read tutorial after tutorial and specs and standards and other css sites.. still the closet I can come is IE6 showing it the way I want and Mozilla being unsuable

and I hate IE so..

anyway..rambling on now...hahhaha

I would love to get CSS to do what I need for my site.. but there is no time left in this project to get it to work right...I have to go table base for now...and convert later...

just my 12 cents worth now.. and I'll take the liberty of shutting-up now...and go pout in the corner of the room.
    Last edited by novatrails; Aug 22, 2002 at 11:32.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

*....emergers from the corner and says, "okay, One more night of trying...*

I'll let you all know how it turns out tomorrow....

*....turns around and walks out the door... *

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so far I'm leaning towards retracting my above statments about tables...

just a few glitches to work out with my new div lay-out and I could leave tables behind for the most part.