SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are preparing to launch a new site this spring and Im not sure what we will need in a host.
    The site will (initially) be comprised of around 450 pages (50-100 new pages/month) and will use ASP to interact with several Access databases.
    We're looking at an initial 75-100K users, with an increase of between 20-30K a month.

Question 1:
    Approx. how much bandwidth/month will we require and at what point will we need more? We do NOT want a slow site, especially when users interact with the databases.

Question 2:
    We are not going to have the capitol to make our launch on a dedicated server. When finding our host what should be our lowest amount of sites per server.. 150..300?

Last Question:
    We would like to be running from an in-house server within the next 12 months. Where are some good places online to find out what we will require in terms of hardware, cost, etc.?

Thanks for helping us out,
    Randy McKown

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want the site to react quickly and to support that number of user, you will probably have to skip Access and move directly to SQL Server. Access can only support a very limited number of concurrent sessions.

So, when looking for a host, make sure they support MS SQL Server.

Christian

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know a lot about these servers, but Matt uses them, so they must be good! Dedicated Nation.

------------------
    Webmaster's Network
    The Ultimate Webmaster Resource Center

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can get access to use Visual Foxpro 6 Enterprise to build our main database. Would this be a noticable improvement in speed compared to using Access?

Does anyone know exactly how many concurrent users Access and/or Visual Foxpro can support? I haven't been able to locate this info on microsoft yet (surprise).

Thanks again,
    Randy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would go with MYSQL ( http://www.mysql.org/ ) because it is free and I know of at least a few extremely high traffic sites ( 800,000+ pageviews daily ) that use it for their database software.

Also, I wouldn't go with a hosting company that puts more than 75-100 accounts per machine MAX.

As for later having an in house server, you will need connectivity (T1, etc) and some sort of router, preferably a cisco router, for your local network.

As for bandwidth, a good rule of thumb is about 20 gigs per 1,000,000 pageviews. Thats assuming 20k per page ( i think).

[This message has been edited by LuZeR (edited January 20, 2000).]