SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: NoMonthly.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I have seen the posts for NoMonthlyFees.com. My question is for NoMonthly.com.

Has anyone used them? Also, I am looking for multiple domains, preferably for NO additional cost. That is, I want to buy 1 account, have several (about 7 domains) mapped to separate folders in that 1 account. All sites will have diferent content. My current host does do this, has great speed, allows cgi bins for each domain, and does not charge for bandwidth. I currently pay 14.95/mo for 60 megs. I want something similar, but without all of the problems that I am having with them.

Can anyone help? Most important things are multiple domains, cgi, and relatively low monthly cost.

Thanks,
    Chad

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, Matt sent out a newsletter re: virtual server vs. virtual hosts. Does anyone know the url of the archive?

Thanks again,
    Chad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out this thread:
    http://www.webmaster-resources.com/f...ML/000107.html

It talks about Vservers.
    http://www.vservers.com i think this is what you are looking for.

------------------
    Eric Jones
    http://www.quixtar.com
    IBO# 1121278
    E-mail me for a 1-1 talk about setting up your dream business.
    mailto:jonese@gci-net.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Eric,

I did read that post, and have looked into VServers website.

Anybody know of other companies that offer similar services as vservers?

Also, I refered to an emailed webmaster-resources update that had a comparison between hosts, virtual hosts, virtual servers, etc. It was just about a month ago that I got it, but cannot find it in Matt's Archives.

Any resources to help explain the differences between hosts, vitual servers, etc, is something I could use.

Eric, do you use VServers? If so, how is the speed? Do you have a control panel, and is it good?

Thanks again,
    CHad

P.S. Just thinking about VServers again...It says that each Vserver can handle 30,000 hits a day. If I have an VServer, and someone else has an account on the same server (let's say it's really popular), couldn't their traffic slow my site? VServers says they would encourage someone with that much traffic to upgrade to a dedicated server, but 'encourage' doesn't help if they are taking resources from my site.

[This message has been edited by Chad J (edited January 16, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the host comparison thing.

As for VServers i have the UNIX box with Vadmin etc. It's a cool proggy and is fast. i have not had problems with speed as of yet and even if i do i can contat support and they will resolve the issues for me.

From what i undertand the way the Vserver works in a rotating perfromance cycle. you basically have the machine and when you site is accessed it casuses your Vserver to become active. when there is no ativity for a period of time it "shuts down" to conserve resources etc. this allows busy sites to pull resources from slower sites etc.

as for the 30k hits i'm not sure what actions would be taken. i'm sure that if someone is getting that many hits that they are feeling the drag as well and would wantto be bumped up. also from what i have seen with VServers support they would try to make things work good for everyone.

i wouldn't worry so much about. and keep browsing the site they have a demo of the Vadmin up somewhere.

i'm extremely pleased with it and should have gone here earlier.

------------------
    Eric Jones
    http://www.quixtar.com
    IBO# 1121278
    E-mail me for a 1-1 talk about setting up your dream business.
    mailto:jonese@gci-net.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eric,

Thanks for the review. This is very important to me, as I don't want to keep jumping around with hosts. Just reconfiguring the cgi scripts on my sites is going to take quite a while, when I change. So I very much appreciate your input!

Chad Jensen