User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

South East Creations, Eh?

Hi,
    I design and code (but don't own) this site, www.mp3sfinder.com. I do it free, cause I plan to use it a as a porfolio site when i go to university, my friend who runs it has just been approached by a new company, they want to redesign it free, as a portfolio site of their own.

Can you check out there site and tell me what you think of them:
    http://www.southeastcreations.com/

Personally, I reckon their a bit dodgy, the porfolio they have isn't exactly amazing, and their charging $500 for 5-9 pages, which seems a little extravagant for a new company.

We asked them to show us a basic design, I'll let you know what they come up with.

Their portfolio includes:
    http://dreamcoders.tripod.com/
    http://www.virtual-atomix.com/

Thanks,
    Craig

Ps. The current design at www.mp3sfinder.com is new, your opinions on that are welcomed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your design looks fine - and also better than the sites South East has shown you. IMO you should just keep the design you have so as to not face any future disappointment.
    kyle//at//retorikmedia//dot//com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your design is fine. Loads quickly too. The sites in their portfolio load slower than molasses in winter on my DSL connection.

Personally, for a site that already uses a lot of bandwidth, I'd avoid doing anything in a redesign that would increase the bandwidth usage. Their designs seem to be very large graphically (even when 1x1 pix or bgcolor could be used).

Diana

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're better doing your own redesign. Look at coolhomepages.com and see how some of the professional designers do it. Work on refining what's already there and show your friend that you can do just as good or better job then what they can offer.

I think it's important in your case, to keep the site in your portfolio, not southeasts.

Palmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, southeast designs had better be good coders Their site looks pretty average for a so called 'company'...

But that said, the current design of www.mp3sfinder.com is alright, and escpecially for free it's a great deal! It is a bit messy, not something you'd want to show off in a professional portfolio for a job or somthing like that

Also, if you'd like the site reviewed properly, you'll have to submit it for review in the website reviews section

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    <!-- ImageReady Preload Script (newsec4.psd) -->
    They're not good coders
    kyle//at//retorikmedia//dot//com

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you go to http://www.southeastcreations.com/ don't you feel like you're tilting out of your chair? It feels like half the text is in italics. Makes me dizzy. :\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Impulse
    Code:
    <!-- ImageReady Preload Script (newsec4.psd) -->
    They're not good coders
    For the record, just because they use built-in scripts, doesn't make them good or bad.

Also, for the record, IMO any "design company" that shows a site that has a tripd URL should AUTOMATICALLY get disqualified!
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    thanks for your input, you've more or less confirmed my suspiscions. I think it may just be some 13 year old kid, I also expereinced the load times, saying that I'm only 17.
    Netscape reported my site taking 17 seconds, theirs 64, which is a damn joke (I'm not sure what molasses is, but I'm pretty sure it can do what ever it does faster than 64 seconds.) I reckon even average is a bit much for what they've shown me.

On the other hand we'll see what they come up with, I only hope they do suprise us, but if they come to me with that bloody javascript thing that dances around the mouse, jeez.

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I'm not sure what molasses is, but I'm pretty sure it can do what ever it does faster than 64 seconds.)

Description

Now you know

Palmer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I still think it can ooze faster than 64 seconds, and know I'm not sure of the official speed measurements for oozing.