SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been battling for a long time with the idea of doing a dedicated server. I really don't have the traffic yet to justify it but it wouldn't be that much more money (as I'm already shelling out $100+ in virtual host fees for several domains).

What I'm thinking about doing though is trying to host my sites myself. DSL is available in our area and quite cheap (768K both ways for $78/month). All told it seems to be quite cheaper than doing a dedicated server but there's something telling me that I don't have all the info.

Is there something I'm missing here? Has anyone else had problems being their own host?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For just $21 more a month you could get a dedicated server. That will save you all the trouble of running a server.

some problems that you may face.
    1. Will your dsl provider let you run a server? Static ip?
    2. Will you be able to look after it 24/7 to make sure its running smoothly? And if there are problems be able to fix them fast.
    3. Power backups? Hard drive backups?
    4. Can't host multiple domains on dsl because you only get 1 ip(i think).
    5. I had so many other reasons to not do it when i started typing this... but forgot them.

If you do decide to run a server your self and have any questions contact me and I will help you out.

Running your own server is very fun i must admit :-)

------------------
    If you need more info contact me.
    AIM: Intserver
    E-Mail: mike@interserver.net

Michael L.
    Sales

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I don't know of a better way to include another quote in a UBB message

For just $21 more a month you could get a dedicated server. That will save you all the trouble of running a server.

***Where can you get a dedicated server for $100 a month and what do you get for that price? I was specing them out at more like $300 a month.

some problems that you may face.
    1. Will your dsl provider let you run a server? Static ip?

***Not a problem

2. Will you be able to look after it 24/7 to make sure its running smoothly? And if there are problems be able to fix them fast.

***This is a potential issue I agree.

3. Power backups? Hard drive backups?

***I can do this and although it will be more money, anybody who was hosting my dedicated server would also charge me more for it.

4. Can't host multiple domains on dsl because you only get 1 ip(i think).

***This is no problem.

5. I had so many other reasons to not do it when i started typing this... but forgot them.

***The biggest other thing I can think of is that you're at the whim of your DSL provider which will definitely be less reliable that a dedicated server provider.

If you do decide to run a server your self and have any questions contact me and I will help you out.

***I'm interested to hear more from you.