SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting a Community

I have decided to start a personnal interest site mainly as a basis for my portfolio of web design. I really am looking to make this site a comunity based site on the same sort of scale as sitepoint. At least that is the 12 month goal to get it to that sort of size based on articles and the likes, once that is sort of running and working well together i want to start the community building.

The Dilemma i have is that i want to get off on the right foot by implementing the whole site from the start. I dont see the point in building it in components along the way.

This brings me to my main problem. I dont have the programming skills to build the backend of a forum or the likes. And have spent endless hours searching for a good forum/content management system that doesnt cost a fortune i mean i have seen some simple forum packages that cost anywhere upto a few thousand.

What i am looking for is a package that will if nothing else do a decent forum (similar to Sitepoint, or vbulletin) I dont know where to look to find somthing like this or weather i should be looking at PHP or ASP as the coding what platform or anything, if anyone can offer any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.

If also does anyone know of any free packages that will do this.

a00010001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phpBB I think is the best, it's open source based on php & mySQL. Very powerful, lots of support, and of you're new to php, you'll probably pick up quite a lot looking thru/trying to edit the code....
    X

The Dot Com Boom - Loose a Dollar on every sale, but make it up in volume....
    When does a shed become a Barn?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey!

I think you might be being a bit optimisitic on the size of sitepoint in a year lol

It takes longer to build something as big as the sitepoint network. I set my site up about 18 months ago and its not near the size of sitepoint but hey I will get there!

I will say focus on content. Don't even worry about a community to start with. Focus on a well put together web site with reguarly updated content. This is what I did and then launched the forums 3 or so months after and they picked up well. I would suggest this for anyone starting a forum. You need a content site to be the front of the network.

You might want to look into phpnuke which is a content management system in php. Go to www.hotscripts.com and see whats about in terms of cms's and forums.

Good luck!
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent 3 days downloading and installing CMS's (Content Management Systems) and finally decided on Php-Nuke. I must have looked at around 20, and PHP-Nuke was the best, not to mention it's free!

As far as forums, there is no reason to build your own, there are plenty that are already written, some good free ones, and of course the best one is vB, which will cost you $160, but well worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my SitePoint article on the basics of community building, hope this helps. http://www.promotionbase.com/article/858

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    james

the link to Jelsoft's vBulletin in the first page of your article links to http://www.invisionpower.com/ instead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not my doing ... I'll let SP know ASAP.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies all. I will definatly check out php-Nuke. and have a look at hotscripts.

Also Cloughie i think i may have mistyped it but i meant the content not the forum side up to sitepoint size and i am not really sure if that is really possible but i am going to give it a shot.

Thanks again for the help

Joel

P.S. The article is great mjames!!!

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, have a look at www.postnuke.com - similar to phpnuke