SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do i start advertising?

Im new to the world of advertising sites. And im not sure where to start. My site (http://www.maddogs-asp.com) is a mix of ASP tutorials, scripts and Photoshop tutorials.

So im not sure where or HOW i should start advertising, so my question is where do i start?? Thanks in advanced.
    Drew Gauderman
    ASP/MSSQL/AJAX-Javascript/HTML/CSS Coder
    iPortalX The most secure FREE ASP portal!

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am really surprised that you have never advertised as your site is quite good

the 3 best ways to advertise for free are

1) Search engines
    2) Recipricol links with similar sites (id be more than happy to exchange links)
    3) Your site in your sig (which youve already done)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

advertising....

I started to advertise on search engines and stuff, but im not sure how well thats gonna work cause ive never done it before.
    I used SubmitWolf Pro the other day to submit my site to over 400 search engines, and ive been TRYING to get some kind of banner on other sites. But im still not getting as many visters as i would like.
    Drew Gauderman

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay to get your site listed on 400 search engines? It may be good depending how much you paid for it but not a good choice. Try doing cpc search advertising on google.com, overture.com, searchcatus.com, and any other good search site that offers cpc. Just make sure when you advertise you are making money from the viewers you get, otherwise it will be pointless unless you don't worry about money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt pay anything, my friend paid to buy the problem and let me use it.

I would love to make money by visiters but im not sure how to start off.
    Drew Gauderman

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, you have a great site. If you wrote your own information and not use spoono.com you would be able to partner with other photoshop sites. If you do that, your traffic will increase but you have to be respected by similar sites.

You can make money by selling books related to your site. You may not sell a lot but it is worth a try. Another way if you are very talented and able to do it is charge members $5/month to view exclusive help files and to get help directly.. like asking you how to do a certain thing. I think it is a great idea and if it is put together good can get a lot of members which means a lot of money.

Thats really the only way you are going to make money through that site. I'm not sure if any good networks will accept your site unless you get good traffic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question started as "how to advertise my site" and eventually ended up in "I'd like to make money with my site".

My recommendation is to take a step backwards and start at square one and if you're looking to make money, approach this as a business decision and not a website you're just hoping might do well.

The very first thing I do and recommend is to figure out how to take the traffic you already have and maximize how much they do on your site as well as identifying ways you can make revenue from that traffic.

Before you invest time and money into getting more traffic you need to make sure you're maximizing the traffic you get.

You will need to identify revenue opportunities. The first thing I wondered when I visited your site is why there isn't a clearly identified newsletter. There's money in newsletters. You could easily generate subscribers by doing a give away of an ASP book. Find a $10 - 20 book that you'd recommend to users in good conscience, buy a copy, and put a "win a copy of ..." ad on your front page. The way you enter, joining your newsletter. Set the date to give away the book 3 - 6 months into the future so you have a fair sampling of time to collect subscribers.

I'd also suggest making very specific notification lists on your site. For example, people who like ASP tutorials should be able to subscribe to automatically get an e-mail any time a new tutorial is posted. I'd recommend the same for photoshop. Also a "news" mailer, each time a news item is added an e-mail goes out (or at the end or beginning of each day if more then 1 item is added per day).

See what you're doing is taking a user who found something good at your site today and making sure they keep coming back. The more users you have visiting your site, particularly users who are regular visitors and demographically specific (ASP/Photoshop users), the easier it will be to make money with the site.

The newsletters and notifications are also a great place to feature a "recommended book of the month" which is of course linked via affiliate links to Amazon or your favorite store or provider.

Seek out very specific affiliate programs and advertisers. Who are your visitors most likely to do business with? What about a magazine stand (I know there are a few ASP magazines)? What about a software provider (photoshop upgades/ASP.Net upgrades, could be a news item that adds revenue when new releases come out)?
    What about hosting companies that are ASP friendly? What about sites that sell asp programs and photoshop plugins? What about other asp/photoshop portals, search engines/directories, discussion boards, etc? What other items are people "typically" interested in who like ASP and PhotoShop? Obviously you'll have a lot of webmasters, what about revenue opportunities for them (banner programs, popunder/up networks, affiliate programs, and other things that offer you extra commission to refer other webmasters)? The list goes on (I've just skimmed the surface here). Once you run out of specific stuff, start getting broader, what about freelance sites where users can bid on others looking for ASP projects to be completed and webdesign to be done? What about job search engines especially those which are high tech related (find an ASP job at xyzjobaffiliateprogram dot com). Get creative. Just try to stick to the interest of your typical user.

Then figure out how to get users and fellow webmasters to market your site for you. Every tutorial should have a "send this to a friend" feature. Since you're on a black page, make a "printable version that clearly has your URL in several key locations". What about syndicating headlines.... You could easily do an XML out as well as perhaps a simple JavaScript "dynamic insertion" for those who can't do XML. In fact a great idea for another tutorial on using XML in ASP (and the example is putting your headlines on another site with ASP reading your XML feed). What about another XML feed of the subject lines of the last 10 forum posts? All these things get traffic to your site while allowing other sites to add to their own content.

Once you've done your absolute best at maximizing your users activities on your site as well as revenues, its time to analize data and fix some metrics. Just how many pages does the average user view. How often does the average user return? When you recommend a $20 book in you monthly newsletter, how many books do you sell per 1000 subscribers (this could even be a fraction such as 0.3 books per 1000 members).

There are two key metrics you want. How much money do you make per new user you acquire (this lets you know how much you can spend to get new users (not just visitors) to you site). The second key metric would be what specific activities generate the best revenue (for example, if you sell enough books from newsletter recommendations, you might consider focusing on building up your newsletter as a priority rather then just building your sites member base).

Once you know your specific revenue opportunities you know how much you can spend to market. Obviously marketing is a whole topic in and of itself and there are so many different kinds. What about co-registrations on similar sites for your newsletter. What about affiliate sponsorship to get registered users. What about per click search and highly targeted ads (like on other ASP sites). What about sponsoring other sites that get lots of traffic and have low revenue.

This is one of my golden gems is finding disadvantaged sites to advertise on. Do you know I'm buying opt-out coregistrations right now for one of my sites at $0.012 per. That's about 1/4th the industry standard rate. 2 years ago I was buying banner ads at $0.05 CPM and less. How did I do it? I knew from the structure of their sites which similar sites in the same topic areas or with the right audiences for my site were making money and which ones weren't. I'd write them an e-mail and offer them a very low rate to fill their unsold space or sponsor something. Many balk at low ball offers, but just as many were happy to take it. I had a freebie site and was getting banner ads for $0.05 CPM on greeting card sites and coupon sites and places like that (this was when webmasters could actually get $3 CPM for banners on their sites).

The crazy thing is I've said a lot and haven't even skimmed the surface. The bottom line is to think and indentify your audience. Know what you make and what you can spend.

One of my current sites makes an average of $0.45 per registering user in the first 90 days after registration. I spend $0.25 all day long to get newly registering users. Its a win/win for me. It takes a little time cause I'm using a 90 day cycle, but it works and my site has grown tremendeously. As I started to run out of places that I could acquire registering users for $0.25 per user, I started testing coreg. I'm now buying opt-out coreg for less then $0.02 per average and its not even for a newsletter. The coreg names just get an e-mail that says "thanks for asking to register at xyz while registering at abc... click this link to complete your registration or this link if you have changed your mind" (not in those words of course). It converts very poorly but I register about 1 in 10 - 12 coregistrations and that's an end cost of $0.24. I've completely filled my budget with coreg at $0.02 and less and have several other offers to sell to me at substandard rates I've got stored away. In fact I've done so well with that, I'm piloting a coregistration revenue share program that offers residuals to the coregistering site and doing quite well with that (no up front).

I'm rambling now so I'll stop. The bottom line is to be creative but make certain you know what you're doing. If you don't know what you make per user, you can't possibly know how much you can spend to get a new user or a new subscriber. Don't be afraid to offer other sites rates that are lower then standards and/or lower then what they are asking. Many will ignore you or refuse but many will accept to. Think outside of the box. There should be a revenue angle to everything you do. You don't have to become overly commercial to accomplish it either.

Hope the info helps...