SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do other teens do it?

I'm just 17, and that prevents me from joining many companies like FastClick, CJ, 2CheckOut, et. al...

I've seen many teens in here, and most HAVE signed on with these companies. I was just curious as to how they did it. Parents? Partnerships? I'd like to get some of my sites online, but I need Merchant Accounts, Aff.Progs., and other things, which I can't get.

My parents dont like the internet, I've tried convincing them before, but no go. So they're out of the question. So the only other option I have is partnerships? Finding someone else who will sign up for me?

Does being 17 really mean I can't sign a contract?? Arg...

(Hmmm. I guess I don't really have a clear question Anone want to sign me up? )
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I remember when my father didn't trust the Internet. I needed his credit card in order to get a PayPal account and I had to print out the entire FAQ and he read everything. He was still reluctant but finally gave in as long as I paid him a percentage of 5% of what I made.

Perhaps you can strike a deal like that with your parents?

- Tom of JokeFunny.com

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember being in your shoes...

Alot of teens will lie on their age. I do not recommend this. One of the guys I did some work for had about $800 lined up from an affiliate program and they found out he was under 18 and used that reasoning to not pay him.

The easiest solution is parents, but you said that won't really work out in your case.

I would suggest you think of other people you know closely, like relatives, friends you can trust. See if you can work out an agreement with them, but cover your behind and get a contract signed, no matter how ackward it seems at the time. Wait... you can't sign a contract

Find someone you can trust and then try to document everything, just in case. I would avoid finding some random guy off of the street.

Its a fun situation you are in... the official best answer might be to just wait, not sure how much longer you have...

Best of Luck,
    Dan
    Dan's Site
    Some Current Sites:365 Puns! # Joke It! #
    Pride & Joy!
    Current Projects: ArcadeRat! # Scouting News # yW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just turned 17 in july. I've been waiting too long already. Hmmm... I'll have to go to the next family reunion i guess

I had about $80 in a CJ account once, but when I told them I was only 16, they wiped it all clean (I didn't lie, I just didnt know you had to be 18 )

Thanks for the responces
    Mike

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, sux to be a minor. they require you to be an adult, because if anything illegal occurs during proccesses, they have to have someone to blame, they cant blame minors because we're not mature enough to know how to balance checks, and to use money responsibily. at best, use your parents, if that doesnt work make older friends.
    InQuE

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use places like StandardInternet.com that don't require you to be 18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, guess I was lucky then... Just turned 18 when the internet took off

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by CompuTwin.com
    Use places like StandardInternet.com that don't require you to be 18.
    Actually, since I'm Canadian, SI requires me to be 18
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by InQuE
    yeah, sux to be a minor. they require you to be an adult, because if anything illegal occurs during proccesses, they have to have someone to blame, they cant blame minors because we're not mature enough to know how to balance checks, and to use money responsibily. at best, use your parents, if that doesnt work make older friends.
    Well, that's not entirely true. You can't sign a contract unless you're 18, and because of that, you can't agree to their terms. They also do it for tax purposes.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [advisor edit: commending or recommending of illegal activity is against sitepoint policy]
    Last edited by Jeremy W.; Aug 21, 2002 at 14:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TDNetworks
    [advisor edit: commending or recommending of illegal activity is against sitepoint policy]
    I wouldn't be telling people this as SitePoint doesn't condone this kind of activity. Please keep this kind of information to yourself.
    Last edited by Jeremy W.; Aug 21, 2002 at 14:15.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TDNetworks: I've edited your post becuase the recommending of illegal activities is, in and of itself, illegal and since you are now 18 I'm pretty sure you don't want to go to "real" jail for something so small
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Nah, I don't need any jail time now

But like everyone else said you should get someone to do it for you. If you can't find anyone I will be willing to help you out for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that this can help you considering you are worried about agreeing (sp?) to agreements, but you can infact get your own credit card once you are 16. This would enable you to do various things online if your parents were uneasy about using their cards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And through which company? I have never seen a CC company offer that.....
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, I have nver seen a credit vard for 16's. You can get a debit card....
    X

The Dot Com Boom - Loose a Dollar on every sale, but make it up in volume....
    When does a shed become a Barn?

You wanna' peice o' me! Automated's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Wes DeMoney means something like a direct debit card, as i dont think you are allowed to go into debt unless you are 18.

Matthew Taylor
    FreelanceForums.com - Do you Freelance ?
    Visit the Freelance Forums and participate in all areas of Freelance Chat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your not allowed into fastclick unless you are 18? wjere does it say that? im a member an im 14.
    Companyreviews.net - Webmaster Reviews And Resources
    Companyreviews.net Webmaster Forum - Come Chat
    2FunnyPictures.com - Huge Humor Archive
    A4B.cc - Free Redirection Service With NO ADS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by D4M00S3
    your not allowed into fastclick unless you are 18? wjere does it say that? im a member an im 14.
    Maybe you should start reading the agreements you have to agree to when you sign up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ermm, oooops, ill go delete account, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No actually you can. I have a Capital One card in my name and I am under 18. You have to have a parent cosign the application so that they won't potentially lose their money, and you can get a credit line up to $999. They sent this deal to me knowing that I was underage and it says in the terms that you must be at least 16.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, the keyword there being parents. Mine dont trust the internet, so they wouldn't cosign a card to be used on the net. I'm just screwed.
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just wait til your 18, good things come to those who wait

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem here when I was starting up my site. I'm just 14 (15 in about a week) so I can't legally sign contracts either.

Then the next problem was that when I had advertisers write checks out to me they would need to be written to "Tim Rooney" instead of the company name and deposited into my personal account, and I couldn't open a business bank account because the company didn't technically exist legally.

My parents are really business-savvy (my dad's a partner in a CPA firm), so, at least for the banking issue we set up a partnership. (I own 90%, each parent has 5%.) So now I have a business account and checks can be written out to "Computertim Technologies". Additionally, I have an ID number for the company, so I don't need to provide my social security number to all of the ad networks I use. (Providing your social security number to so many places really isn't a good idea.)

As far as signing contracts go, the only way I see for this is to convince your parents that there is nothing wrong with the Internet. They probably don't understand how the Internet works and what it really does. Of course there are unsecured areas on the Internet, but there are also many web sites that are secure and should be trusted. If someone doesn't trust the Internet, they're just naive.

Bring them to the computer when they have some free time. Show them what the Internet can do, how secure it is, and what exactly you want to do. Let them know that what you're trying to do can help you with success in the future.

Just an idea...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 15 and own a wholesale company A.G.S. Wholesale (link in my sig.) I started that company when i was 13, you say wow how'd you do it??, A very understanding mom and grandad, my mom let me sink about $6,000 into it and my grandad put in another $1,500, but has it paid off? OH YEAH!!

My point if your parents are understanding great!! If not you may have problems. Best advice I can give you is make friends in your community, thats easy for me because I live in a small town it may be harder for you, right now I can name about 30 people who would be willing to partner with me that ranges from the bank manager (always a good friend to have) to the CEO of a major plastics company thats localy based to the owners of the local pharmacy,my point you can never have to many friends for example the bank manager i spoke of he ok'ed a $2,000 loan for me just last week he also ok'ed a credit card for me a few months ago, Also I hold 2 checkcards on the same bank which in my state your not supposed to get till your 17.

How do I do this? Firsly and this is important Don't act like a teenager Act like your grown,don't talk about childish things, talk about politics and world events, b careful who your friends are you'll be jugded by them.

Second dress for success, it is more common to see me in a suit and tie than casual clothes and when i'm in casual it's khaki pants or shorts polo shirt, or clean cut tee, winter time it's fleece pullover usualy (and guys girls love this trust me) my point: you won't be taken seriously if you dress like a kid.

Thrid and most important,Keep Your mouth shut !! any new people you come in contact with if they don't ask your age don't tell them and make them think your older than you are for example when you lost that $80 if you'd kept your mouth shut you'd have it today .

Fourth be active in your community it will help make friends faster, you said in another thread I was in your sort of agnostic but if you'd start (i'm not trying to convert anyone just giveing business advice) going to church at a respected church it's a great way to start makeing those friends.

Fitfh, it takes tim to build have patience, especially if you have a reputation as "just another teenager" you'll have yo undo the rep and build a new one and better one.

Hope this helps, any questions fire away or feel free to email me.

Oh and for online stuff (and this may get deleted) I just hit o.k. when it ask if i'm over 18 and then keep my muth shut, may be against policy but I've never lost anything.

Good Luck,
    Wesley
    Last edited by rapio; Aug 26, 2002 at 19:55.