SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I've cable, it's not necessary to have a big cache memory. The loading times are already fast enough, even so fast that in the time I pull one image from my HD, I can easily download the same picture again and it still goes faster than my good ol' crappy 56K modem

BTW I've also configured NS in Linux to not use a cache and browsing still goes there much faster than in Windows
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warning about the numbers here...

Please note that this chart is in kilobits NOT the normal kilobytes. Divide by 8 (I believe) to get kilobytes/sec.

I had dual (128kbps) ISDN and was lucky to get 10kilobytes/second. With DSL I get 100k/sec which would put me on the second DSL bar, though it is advertized at 384kbps DSL.

Owen

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually you divide by 10 to get kilobytes per second. With error correction you have 1 bit for that and one stop bit. hence the old "8N1" or "7E0" that you had to set your modem to accept back in the days of BBSes. In the examples above 8N1 would be ten bits per character, 8 bits for the actual character, a null for parity checking and 1 stop bit. The second one would be 8 bits, 7 bits for the character, an even bit for parity checking and zero stop bits.

This is why when you connect at 56,600 K, you only get an average of 5 - 7 K (with compression) in transfer speeds. Transmissions are always measured in bits per second instead of kilobytes per second because the first looks larger.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh... in my area, the best connection I can is ISDN (bar leased lines of course)... I can usually get 15 - 16 kilobytes /sec.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elledan: why would you do that? No matter how fast your Internet access is, it won't be faster than the cache.

If you have a little free space, you might as well have a cache, its there to help

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by trcfreebies
    Elledan: why would you do that? No matter how fast your Internet access is, it won't be faster than the cache.

If you have a little free space, you might as well have a cache, its there to help
    Dunno exactly, I believe I read it somewhere... But I must say that it goes very fast and absolutely not slower than with cache, so I don't see a need to use a cache.

Besides, the cache is most of the time stuffed with things (pics, scripts etc.) of sites you'll probably visit once in a month/year, so no advantage of the cache then...

BTW I like to way you can configure the cache and other things in Netscape, very easy.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.