SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Property Reference Syntax Question

I've inherited a project to convert an ASP Classic web application to ASP.NET. I haven't worked with ASP classic for quite a long time and I was hoping someone might be able to clarify a syntax question I have. I've searched the web extensively for an answer but have not been able to find a definitive answer.

The question I have is simply what is the significance of the following statement:

Response.Buffer

(with no assignment, simply a line with the above text.)

I understand the use of this property, what I don't understand is functionally, what does the above line without an assignment do?

I've performed some tests by setting and printing the property value and can not discern any effect by this statement.

Also, I've been writing a asp/vbscript parser to automate the migration of some aspects of the application, it would be very helpful to understand the semantics of such a statement and why a statement like this without an assignment does not generate an error.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mactb

Response.Buffer. Basically it processes everything on the server and then serves it unless called earlier with Response.Flush. In my experience it isn't used much (happy to be wrong). The only time I've used it is when supplied with a third party script and all those had to do with saving and serving images.

It doesn't generate an error because it is a server command, not a function with arguments. (Hope that made sense.)
    Joe
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
    is that good men do nothing."