SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Demographics

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by HyperBaseball:
    I mean, I doubt that a lot of women use these Forums, at least from what I've seen (only 1 or 2).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There must be at least *3* by now...

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey--
    I was just curious as to the demographics of users of SitePoint and the SitePoint forums. Not really interested in advertising or anything, but just for knowing. I mean, I doubt that a lot of women use these Forums, at least from what I've seen (only 1 or 2). Most of seem to be some sort of 'computer nerd,' even if it's not Data from the Simpsons. Yeah, you all know who I'm talking about.

Also, myself included, a lot of young people are on here. It doesn't surprise me when some of the most intelligent conversations are coming from teenagers (I'm 17) who know so much about computers and design, promotion, and whatnot.

Just wanted to see if anyone could tell me.

Later.
    -------
    Jason Unger
    http://www.hyperbaseball.com
    Baseball at the Start of the Century
    "If you aren't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem."

---or, the chemist's version---
    "If you aren't part of the solution, then you're part of the reactant."

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I'm 14! I have noticed there are a LOT of young people here. I think that at least 25% (if not more) of the forum members will be under 18.

------------------
    Pedro Brandao
    Coming soon: TweakPro.com
    Visit the SitePoint Chat!

[This message has been edited by pedro_gb (edited August 23, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18/f/uk... sorry, wrong boards

I don't really know much about computers, whatever my relations might think when theirs breaks down, I just know html and Photoshop
    ------------------
    www.rotax-max.org
    the world's fastest growing race category

[This message has been edited by superbird (edited August 23, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 17

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 24.
    Not really young, not really old. Depending from where you look at it.

I'm happy to see that there is some women around there.
    I'm just curious to know if they have some problem at home regarding their husbands being mad because their wifes is uploading some files instead of spending time with them?
    Just talking about that because i have the problem at home. My girlfriend would prefer to find me home with 3 girls than to see me in front of my computer!
    Even my cats come lay down on my keyboard, like if it is the only way to get my attention!
    Perhaps i should begin to look for single women in this board!
    Did i'm the only one having this kind of problem???
    Do you think that our job, by the fact that we are connected with so many different interesting source make us forget about what is around us?

Damien
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks."

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    f/usa

yep, its 3 (known) f with superbird... girl power!

i always wonder, why is it that a lot of guys tend to think that computers/programming is not a job suitable for a female?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I think it really matters how many males or females there are that post but I know of at least 10 different women who post on these forums. These are the ones that make it known through their user ID, in direct emails or through heavy use of the forums.

The point being is you can't really tell by the member ID who is male or female, the members age or any other personal information and it shouldn't matter anyway.

As for the Demographics of the SitePoint.com network of which these forums are a subset, here you go.

The largest age group is 25-34 comprising 24% of the SitePoint audience. The next biggest segment of SitePoint visitors are between the ages of 18 and 33.
    51% rate their Internet ability as Advanced while 28% consider themselves Experts.
    83% have shopped online, with 42% making 10 or more online purchases. The most popular products purchased are: Software, Books/Magazines, CDs/DVDs, followed by Hardware.
    50% have been on the Internet for over three years
    19% have been online for 1-2 years
    60% spend more than 20 hours online each month, compared to the 8 hour average (source: Nielsen/Netratings)

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    wayne@sitepoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 16...

I don't see the point of making a difference between male or female members. They're all members, right?

Christophe

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's about the brains you've got and how you use them...
    There's no difference between a male and a female webdesigner. For example: many on this forum thought that I am female, while I'm 100% male (or alien if you prefer), so the difference between male and female is very small.

BTW I'm 17 in about a week
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what you are saying elledan is pretty interesting ("It's about the brains you've got and how you use them...") since it is recognized that men and women do not use the same part of their brain even doing the exact same thing.
    Do anybody think that seeing a web page they could know if it have been designed by a woman or a man?

Damien

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cyberbrain
    what you are saying elledan is pretty interesting ("It's about the brains you've got and how you use them...") since it is recognized that men and women do not use the same part of their brain even doing the exact same thing.

Damien
    I knew that...
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that everybody knew that men and women when using different parts of their brain even doing the exact same thing.

What I'm interested in would be to know if some of you think that the scheme of thinking is important to respect?

Do you see what i mean? Yeah I agree it's not clear

We all have some stuff that we do easily and almost naturally. Like some will have no problem planning the navigation of a web site, when other will have the design of a site poping up in their mind in few seconds...
    Whatever we can do easily, we still see it from our point of view(women or men), and perhaps what sound pretty clear to us is not to others (women/men).

It sound to me that women are more critical and sensible to things.
    When i did take some friends around me who have absolutely no knowledge in web design, and made them visit a web site, i have see that women are more sensible about the colors and shapes that have been used...when on the other hand the guy's just want to find the information they are looking for and do not really care about the color or details.

People say that women can not read a map! I know that most of the women around me are not able to find their way even with a map. (like guy's are too stupid to ask their way when their are lost!!!!hehheheeh we can not accept to be lost!)

Do you think that we can see the same thing in the navigation of a site?
    Do you believe that a site who will be mostly visited by women should be designed by women so it will be closer of their way of thinking and sensibility?

I would love to know what you think about that.
    And if you have some exemple of things to do or not to do, do not forget to share with me!

Damien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jason (hyperbaseball)! Good to hear you finally found the great resource that SitePoint is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I'm using a site, I want to be able to find the information very quickly (masculine tendency) but I just cannot stay on a site that uses Times New Roman or has un-antialiased graphics.(But then again I'm the sort of girl who wears glitter makeup and watches Vietnam films!) I try to reflect that in my design.
    ...KartLink...