SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built my current system, and I do build systems for people to earn money; over the past 2 years I have probably built about 30 systems. I am about to order a fast Duron for myself - probably 750MHz and I may overclock it to something near 1GHz.
    Building your own system is not difficult as long as you are careful - don't touch the chips on the components if you can help it, screw everything in tightly but not too tightly, etc.

------------------
    James Ussher-Smith, jamesus@lineone.net
    640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the Pentium 4, aka Williamette, is a server chip, replacing the Xeon's. Uses a 400mhz bus, and needs a completely different motherboard.

Darn..I'll have to e-mail you Aidan.

------------------
    Adam "fibroptikl" Lysne
    adam@motion5.com
    Questions?
    fibroptikl

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The P4 does not use a 400Mhz bus at all, it is going to use the 133Mhz bus to start with and move on to a 200Mhz bus in 2001.

Even with DDR memory a 400Mhz bus is hoping for a lot, and yes I know the Athlon uses a 200Mhz bus with slower memory - which is my point exactly, their is no point going to 400Mhz bus when we can't even use a 200Mhz bus properly.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services
    "Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film."

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Karl:
    The P4 does not use a 400Mhz bus at all, it is going to use the 133Mhz bus to start with and move on to a 200Mhz bus in 2001.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to this article is C|Net, the Pentium 4, code named Willamette, will use a 400Mhz bus.
    http://news.cnet.com/news//0-1003-20...=st.cn.sr.ne.3

There is an enhanced version of the PIII, code named Tualatin, that will use a 200Mhz bus.
    http://news.cnet.com/news//0-1003-20...=st.cn.sr.ne.2

------------------
    Visit the Sitepoint Chat!
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/chat.php3

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 400 megaheartz bus is fine and good but PCI doesn't go that fast, memory doesn't go that fast, AGP doesn't go that fast and those are the faster components.

Of the slower components, Ethernet is the fastest and if used asynchronously you can max at 200 Mhz bursts if you have the proper switching technology. If you use a HUB your limited to 100 Mhz and if one device (say a jet direct card) is 10 Mhz, your limited to that.

You can replace PCI with Firewire, hard disks with multichannel raid controllers (such as Shark Arrays, 1.5 terrabytes will cost you 500 Thousand but it throughputs at 1 gig a second.), AGP 2X can be replaced with 4X or even 6X. But then your left with your ISA bus which is also your keyboard and mouse currently. The switching factor from 400 Mhz (frontside bus) to 16 mhz (EISA bus) is going to kill any performance. Hopefully USB-2 will be stable enough to replace that but who knows.

Personally I don't know if its needed. I have a dual 650 mhz P-III NT server at work with 640 megs of RAM and 100 gigs of diskspace. Today while processing flat files containing spatial data (maps) and over 30 million points, it utilized between 2% and 10% of the processors power using Windows NT.

Our primary and backup Oracle machines are on RS-6000 model S-80's with 12 1 gigaheartz processors and 64 gigabytes of RAM using the above mentioned shark arrays. Each processor gives us ten times the power as a 1 gigahertz Intel or AMD processor.

I would much rather Intel abandon the x86 architecture which is over 20 years old and come out with something new and revolutionary.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    wayne@sitepoint.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this has gotten interesting.

Anyway, I have been talking with my parents recently about building my computer and they have given me two thumbs down. Actually, I don't think I would have the time to build one anyway.

So I am going to get a built system. I have E-Mailed Dell about Athlon procs, and they haven't responded in 5 days. I guess I will wait until WinME ships with new computers, and order a new Dell online. Then I'll buy Windows 2000 on top of that.

Any thoughts?

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not very hard to build your own computer. In one afternoon you can build it if you have the equipment. Perhaps I might write an article about that on my new Website...

But you people are talking about TECHNOLOGY here! Most of that stuff hasn't even come out yet! (If it has it is rather expensive and rare.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the components at my hands, I can have a computer built and running Windows and Office 2000 within 2 hours. It doesn't take any time at all.

Putting the machine together takes about 15 minutes.

------------------
    wayne@sitepoint.com

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:

Putting the machine together takes about 15 minutes.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is, IF you know how to do it... Else it could take a day, or longer or it just won't work and you decided to leave it to a pro...

But if you know something about it, it's not that difficult to built a PC.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    http://emudreams.tsx.org
    TriAxis (Still Alpha!)
    Everyone has a destiny in life. Some just never reach it

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost have built a system before. My dad bought a 486 a couple years ago (a hundred bucks including the monitor). I have changed many many parts in it (new soundcard, new cd drive, new floppy drive, new videocard, more ram, new hard drive, etc) and I have changed a lot in my primary comp as well (new videocard, new cd drive, more ram, new hard drive, more fans, zip drive, superdisk drive, new modem, new soundcard, and probably more too).

I know I can do it. I just don't feel like it.

WinME now ships with new Dell Computers. I guess I'll buy one in the next couple of days.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Install the Processor and Ram into the motherboard, connect the wire for the processor fan if need be.

2. Set the switches for your processor speed.

3. Put those little plastic things in to space the motherboard from the chassis and install into chassis.

4. Slide Internal Drive's into their bays, set for master/slave etc and connect to motherboard

5. Install Cards

6. Plug in Power Cords

7. Attach Chassis cords to motherboard

8. Boot up and install.

Its really not hard at all, in my opinion the hardest thing is the processor into motherboard part, some motherboards have these god awful things you have to set up first and you have to push really hard, so then you're afraid you'll break it, but you still gotta push hard, etc.

Its really very simple, slot A into B sorta thing. Or you can pay %200 what its worth to have Dell do it for you.

Chris

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
    2. Set the switches for your processor speed.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With today's jumperless motherboards you wouldn't even have to do that. Of course it is very difficult to overclock a CPU on a jumperless motherboard.

------------------
    wayne@sitepoint.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where would I buy all these parts? Would I buy them online? At a store?

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's where I bought all of my components...

Directron.com
    Fry's Electronics
    Buy.com
    CheapBytes.com
    Dell.com (keyboard only)
    Best Buy
    CompUSA

And I'll offer a suggestion to you Aidan...
    Build a Dell Workstation (Dell.com -&gt; Small Biz -&gt; Workstations) with dual 633's and a lot of RAM if you plan on buying from Dell. Also Win2k is included in that price.

p.s. if you got a digital camera, take pictures while building your computer!!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use pricewatch.com it's your best bet.

You go there, you find the best price for what you want, you call the store in Nowheresville Kentucky, they mail it to you (helps if you can pay by credit card) and you get your part for 50% of what it'd cost somewhere else. Obviously it's a pain to buy all your stuff this way but for the big money savers, motherboard, processor, ram, hard drive, monitor etc pricewatch is the only way to go.

Chris

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well back onto the topic of the PIV...
    there is an article about it here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/12706.html

------------------
    James Ussher-Smith, jamesus@lineone.net
    640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you have got to admire the cheek of Intel trying to tell us how their chips can make the internet faster - How do they get away with it, if it were as easy as that then nobody would ever complain slow loading times on web pages, CDs would be a thing of the past (We'd pay to download then in fractions of a second along with our 'TV' programs as well).

When will Intel learn that it is starting to loose it's strangle hold on the CPU market and that the rubish it spews just doesn't cut it any more?

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services
    "Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...I won't be able to pay by credit card, and ordering individual parts would be a pain...I have made up my mind to purchase a custom-built Dell.

I think I'll do what Quinn suggested, that would be interesting.

Thanks guys.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[This message has been edited by Adam Lysne (edited August 21, 2000).]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well its done for me.

I ordered a system similar to the last one I mentioned. Total price including tax/shipping: $4,003.96.

I am not sure if it was worth it or not, but I am more than positive that I will be extremely satisfied, and the day the order arrives will be my happiest day ever - and for a long time.

Thanks for all your help guys.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't think you should have done it, but in your case, it seemed like the only logical reason.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well here I am on my shiny new Dell. I couldn't have asked for more, this has been a great experience for me. Everything came without a problem, and I am really enjoying this computer.

Dell included quite a few nice things that I didn't expect, things like a few CD-RWs, a remote for the speakers, etc. I have a few pics uploaded on the 'net if you guys want to see them.

I do not regret my decision at all. These past couple of days have been the happiest in my life.

Thanks for all your input!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by trcfreebies
    Well here I am on my shiny new Dell. I couldn't have asked for more, this has been a great experience for me. Everything came without a problem, and I am really enjoying this computer.

Dell included quite a few nice things that I didn't expect, things like a few CD-RWs, a remote for the speakers, etc. I have a few pics uploaded on the 'net if you guys want to see them.

I do not regret my decision at all. These past couple of days have been the happiest in my life.

Thanks for all your input!
    Link us!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drumroll, please!

http://www.activewm.com/dell/MVC-028S.JPG

http://www.activewm.com/dell/

Some of the pictures are meaningless...but you can see just about everything there is to see on my comp.

Here are the specs:
    800MHz P-III
    256MB RDRAM
    45GB HD 7200 RPM
    ATA 100 HD controller card
    19" Sony Trinitron Monitor
    GeForce2 64MB AGP
    DVD 12x
    CD Burner (8x/4x/32x)
    SoundBlaster Live Soundcard
    MusicMatch Software
    Altec Lansing THX Dolby Digital Surround Sound Speakers
    Subwoofer
    Connextant 56K modem
    Windows Millenium
    MS Office 2000 professional
    Norton AntiVirus
    Microsoft Egro Keyboard (The really expensive one that is bent in the middle and has a lot of shortcut buttons)
    MS Intellimouse
    3 years service
    floppy drive