SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple 6 page layout website from scratch;no prior experience

Only making some amendments here and there.

This is my very first attempt to create the micro niche website and I have no prior experience to doing it.

Do tell me how I can improve the layout and the heading though.

I am interested in just using the current layout for selling some amazon products and some advertisements though.

However,the click through rates hasn't been quite impressive and I have to agreed that the writing for the website has been hard.

Here you goes the website link
    http://staplelessstapler.net

Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would start by making the page a bit wider; 750 pixels is quite narrow.
    The second thing that all text in the header is too close together for my taste. Give the header as a whole some padding, and create some space between the different lines in the header to let it "breathe" a little.

The gradient on the left side of the main content is okay, but it looks a bit weird that there is a gradient on there, while the header and the footer are both solid; there is too much of a cut off where the content ends and the footer starts.

The yellow side bar isn't working in my opinion, I'd take another color or remove the sidebar entirely and incorporate the links that are in there in the header (or footer, or both).

The footer looks really unorganised; I'd lay out all those links in a grid to create some harmony in there. Just make sure the logo's are sitting right beneath each other and the text after the image are also in one line.

And no offense, but the Site map looks like a spam page (or one of those "parked domain" pages). I'd really consider redesigning that one from scratch if I were you.

But, for a first site, not bad!

Good luck
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second that the site is way too narrow, my guess is that you are most likey running a monitor with the old 800 by 600 resolution? If not my appologies.
    I would suggest grabbing a few templates that you like and having a good old poke inside them to see how they work. Brush up on your css skills I noticed you capitalized alot of your css and its the norm to keep things in lower case now.

Check out colour combinations and colour pallets online to see what works and how they effect different peoples moods. I hate yellow lol.

For a first time hand coding its a job well done however, its just a case of brushing up on yoru skills and moving in the right direction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want search engines to find you, you need a "h1" tag on every page. But especially your home page. I'm not seeing any h1 or h2 tags on it.

The h1 tag should enclose your keywords "stapleless stapler". The keyword "stapler" is more popularly searched than "staplers" according to Google External Keyword tool.

SitePoint Member satyabhramandita's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggybiggysmally View Post
    Only making some amendments here and there.

This is my very first attempt to create the micro niche website and I have no prior experience to doing it.

Do tell me how I can improve the layout and the heading though.

I am interested in just using the current layout for selling some amazon products and some advertisements though.

However,the click through rates hasn't been quite impressive and I have to agreed that the writing for the website has been hard.

Here you goes the website link
    http://staplelessstapler.net
    1. too dry in your web colors blending (suggestion: use grey or black the menus background & white for text menu foreground ; black for content & blue for sub heading)
    2. Do not waste your website space.
    3. Better to use wide website space (980 px)
    4. Place your social & bookmark widget to the right menu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site could be wider

The font could also be larger. I find it quite hard to read @ 1080 on a 24"

The copy needs some attention. I got as far as the heading "Does stapleless stapler works?" which is pretty early in the page for a grammar issue.

The next sentence isnt any better. (Punctuation. Its missing a full-stop).

On selling the product, which seems to be the goal of the site, I would have liked to have seen a photo of the result on some paper one of the units has fastened. Describing it in text is inevitably going to be less effective than an image

Also on each heading, 'cat shaped stapler' an image would also be nice to see. Again, pictures sell products. Text is only part of the way to achieving this IMO.

There is a lot of blank space in the right sidebar. There's real-estate there for ppc or whatever. Its a bit vacant-looking atm though IMO.

The only other thing I dont like (apart from the copy, which needs attention!) is the footer. The jumble of social bookmarking logos looks really messy. Dont know if you're getting clicks on them or not (my guess is not, as they are a bit of an eyesore), but I think there a less is more approach might actually achieve better results. (Its an easy theory to test in any case, should you choose to do so)

Good luck with it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is too narrow as others have said.. ditch the bookmarks stuff at the bottom as nobody will be using all of those social media buttons for this site.. I gather your concept is to pick up some adsense clicks and not repeat visitors..

The writing needs some work.. and show me a piece of paper that has had the stapleless stapler treatment to demonstrate how it works.. I don't want to read too much text, but a picture would instantly tell me "wow, they just might work!"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The my category thing at the bottom, I couldn't even read it long enough to figure out if it was just a bunch of bookmarks or what....all those tiny white words kind of hurt my eyes.

I think the staplers for sale should be separated from the home page. they need a place of their own.

Definitely needs some organizing, good luck :]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site doesn't feel like a retail site. It feels a little unorganized and there is too much text, links, and ads for non related items. If you want to sell staplers that should be the main focus on the front page. Direct our attention to your primary goal and I think you will do fine. Good luck!
    - Sarah

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a first site, congratulations. But of course it needs work—many people posting here are professionals who like myself do this for a living so don't be too hard on yourself when you will inevitably receive a lot of criticism. It's good criticism.

I think most have been said, and will probably be said again below this post. Personally, I'd definitely look over the copywriting soon. After a period/full stop, there should be a space. Work on writing copy that sells, if that's the purpose of the site, and correct grammar and spelling. Since selling is the main goal, you may want to prioritize SEO adjustments. Make it an iterative process to constantly improve what's most important.

Polishing the design may seem like the obvious immediate way to go but other things may be more important for you at this moment.

Keep it up.

EDIT:

I checked Google and your description is currently:

"Stapleless Stapler - It's pretty cool because we can stapler up to 5 piece of paper with stapler free stapler.See how we review about stapleless staplers."

I'd work on that immediately—it's what's supposed to convince people to click the link to visit your site.
    Daniel Nordstrom. of. Nintera(ctive)
    -- Featured post: Part 2. Writing NI.JS JavaScript
    ----- Follow me on Twitter. Got project? Contact me.
    -------- SitePoint: Community GuidelinesBe A Great Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am overwhelmed by the content. Make the site wider or more liquid.