SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been bothering me for a few months now and no one has any idea. So you ask, what is it??

I turn on my computer and Win2000 loads. The logon screen comes up, I hear a "ding" (NOT the system speaker, just a Windows ding) and if I don't type in my password within say 2 seconds then the computer does a hard restart. Where the power is pulled.

If I log in in time then nothing happens.

Today I checked the "Event Viewer" which shows you all of the logged Windows errors and here are some possible causes:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>The description for Event ID ( 9 ) in Source ( bp32win2 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: \Device\Scsi\bp32win21.

[note: bp32win21 = my Backpack CD ReWriter driver]
    <LI>Unable to get device object pointer for port object.
    </UL>

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple. Reinstall your CD-R device so the proper drivers are there.

The problem would most likely be the second option or a problem with another system service. Without knowing what device the second message refers to it would be hard to track down.

Clear your Event Log and reboot to see what all the new messages are. If Win2K has the Automatic Skip Driver Agent use it to find the culprit. It can't be something in your startup group and has to be a System Service because it happens before login.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    wayne@sitepoint.com