User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

click-trough average rate

Hello!

I would like to know the market click-trough average rates for full-banners, half-banners, 120x60 buttons, and pop-ups. Anyone has this information? Is there any article about click-trough rates?

Thank you,
    Hélio

You wanna' peice o' me! Automated's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for a 468x60 you would be lucky yo get much more than 2% (at a push)

with regard to the other banner sizes i have no idea, why not contact an ad agency of have a "shufty" on google

Matthew Taylor
    FreelanceForums.com - Do you Freelance ?
    Visit the Freelance Forums and participate in all areas of Freelance Chat

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CTR depends on the ad creative more than anything.
    If you limit exposure to once per IP or cookie exposure to once per session you might be able to get 4 to 6% easy unless the setup and layout of your site and its audience are not conducive to high CTR.
    With fastclick I have averaged between 3 and 6 percent consistantly on 468x60

With 120x60 it really depends on the creative, error warning type things probably don't work very well CTR wise for this format. However dancing girls or something like that would, or an ultra targeted ad might perform well.

CTR for popunders is not really that relevant as the viewer if viewing the page is already responding the same as a typical banner Clickthru visitor.
    You really need to compare those who click thru to a second page on a site after clicking a banner to those who click on popunders if you want to have fair and comparable data.

Popunders do generate better CTR than banners though I am sure.

Bruno Delepierre
    SitePoint Community Guest
    firstmark,

I'm really curious how you attained a 6% click trough rate. It sounds almost too good to be true. With what kind of site ( and banners ) were you able to reach this number?

As to answer to helioaug, I agree with automated that a 2% rate is about the average CTR of a decent banner campaign. Unfortunately I know that a lot of sites would be really happy if they had that kind of number. In my opinion there are 4 key elements that determine the success or failure of a banner campaign.

These should be the things you analyse before you even consider starting an ad campaign.

1. audience
    2. banner design
    3. targeting
    4. placement

This would be interesting stuff to write an article on actually, if I find the time, I just may do that

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies!

I use 120x60 buttons advertisements on my site and the CTR is from 1% to 4%. I guess it is much above the market average. Sometime ago I found an article that said the market average CRT for fullbanners was 0.4%, half-banner 0.3%, and buttons 0.2%. I used Google to try to find where I read it, but I couldn't find.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruno I only averaged 6% clickthru on banners for a single month on banners sold by fastclick, usually its 3 to 4 percent via fastclick for an entertainment site. Now of course fastclick has defaults so the CTR does not include the 40 percent defaults or so that I have to use other programs for and get a lower CTR for. But you get the idea.
    Error windows type banners get the high CTR and having few page views per unique and a not so bright audience can help clickthru rates. But CTR is really not the important.
    Having people that visit a page after the initial clickthru is a better indicator of interested visitors.
    You can manipulate CTR via trick links, no content but a single interesting banner and other methods, but by and large 1 to 4 percent is the average CTR on cpm banners which are always designed for clicks.
    CPC banners which are the "informative branding" type ads that everyone thinks would be runnins as CPM ads can honestly get Clickthru rate responses of 1 in 10000 to 1 in 1000 or better depending on page placement. I have seen this first hand.

Bruno Delepierre
    SitePoint Community Guest
    ' not so bright audience can help clickthru rates'

Lol firstmark, that's a really nice one .

As for your remark on the value of a click-trough, I agree with you but it does depend upon the site I guess: a clicktrough on an entertainment site hasn't got a lot of value as a large part of your audience is probably a bunch of youngsters. My guess if you have a banner on a financial services web site you'd have better results.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The type of ad determines the value of the clickthru more so than the type of site. The type of ad determines the demographics of the clicker.
    The type of person that clicks on a you've one 2 million dollars banner is equally worthless regardless of what type of site they come from. But people buy cheap clicks in the hopes that the valuable clickers will self sort themselves out and someoen who wants what you are selling will be at your site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across a popup the other day that used the windows alert approach like the banner ads, it actually looked real enough that I almost clicked on it. I'm guessing something like that could bring in a 10% clickthrough rate very easly, atleast until everybody startes using them.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very relative. It depends...A good site might get upto say even 50%!!!

But, average rate is from 1%-5%