SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Form Submissions - newbie confused.

Hi!

I was playing around with the features in Dreamweaver MX. I am trying to make a form that users are able to submit, in order to give me feedback about the site.

I read on macromedia.com that i need a script such as a CGI script in order for the information submitted to be processed properly.

My problem is that:
    (a) I have no clue how to set this up
    (b) Where to find such a script
    (c) Being able to customise it to my liking

I'm probably asking too much by wanting a script that is easily customised without the knowledge of the CGI language.

I already have a webhost package purchased, and it contains a 'cgi-bin'.

The form that i had made up (without it being processed) was in the form of post - i am sure the form is set up correctly and that i just need a script.

If anyone can help me out by giving me instructions, or providing me with an easily customisable script, i would be very grateful.

You can probably tell i am pretty new to DWMX, so any help is appreicated

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You need to contact your hosting company and see if they can give you this information - they usually have a 'sendmail' script or similar pre-configured on their server and will provide you with the details that you require to enter as your form 'action'.

regards,

Stuart
    a crank is an enthusiast without a sense of humour...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stuart!

I've decided to learn ASP. I figured i would need this later on anyways, and plus that way i can make my own scripts.

I am hoping ASP is able to do these functions (such as forms), among other things like setting up forums.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

want2design

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn PHP, not ASP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Darin
    Learn PHP, not ASP.
    why is it that so many BIG sites use ASP? it looks to me as if it holds more advantages than PHP.

but since i have no clue what either can do, if you would care to convince me i may change my mind lol.

pretty much i just want something that can do all the following (view this thread).

if php can do all that and more than ASP, i'll be very interested lol

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by want2design

why is it that so many BIG sites use ASP? it looks to me as if it holds more advantages than PHP.

but since i have no clue what either can do, if you would care to convince me i may change my mind lol.

pretty much i just want something that can do all the following (view this thread).

if php can do all that and more than ASP, i'll be very interested lol
    AFAIK you can do pretty much everything that you list in that thread with PHP as you can with ASP - the thing is, PHP is open source, and ASP is Microsoft - both languages perform the same tasks. If you do a Google search on any of requirements in PHP, you'd be able to find it - I'm sure that some of the other PHP guru's here can provide you with a more compelling argument.

I think that one of the reasons (if not the main reason) that so many BIG sites use ASP, is the same one big businesses used in the past for buying solely IBM machines - I can't remember the exact line that they used, but it was something like: No-one ever got fired for buying IBM...

cheers,

Stuart
    a crank is an enthusiast without a sense of humour...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i didn't mean to come across as being a smart alec

i just mean alot of big corporate sites i visit use ASP more so than PHP.

i have nothing against either language as i do not know enough about them to have arguements for/against.

i really just wanted to learn ASP based on that i saw it might be the way to go when getting into the big business end of web design.

trying to get an unbiased opinion about ASP vs. PHP is very hard.

i did not mean to seem like i am being ungrateful, i really do appreciate all the help, and replies that are given.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you'll ever get a truly unbiased opinion. I use php personally, but in my day job farm out work and suggest solutions that cross all server-side technologies. Sometimes .asp is simply a better "fit", sometimes php, occassionally perl or even coldfusion for whatever reason may be preferable. I you wanna go with .asp, go for it. Although I'd strongly recommend looking at the .net model.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS