SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to set up a PHP server???

I was hoping there would be someone here that could help me setup a server to run a HTML site with a PHP forum (therefore a server that runs PHP).

The thing is, there's 1 server, and 2 people including myself. I do the web design with no knowledge of hardware, limited knowledge on software. The other guy is a hardware guru, but knows nothing about software. I.E 2 people who have no clue about software issues.

A site has been designed totally in HTML, but it has a PHPBB forum that runs in PHP. This site needs to be hosted on a server within the NHS hospital I currently work at.

I've set up phpdev4 on my PC to use it like a local host to test my site. Is it a simple case of uploading such a bundle to a server to host a site, or is phpdev4 only suited for personal use.

If so, what would be needed to actually have a server set up to make our site go live? I have no idea what software is on the server at present, but if you make a suggestion of what may be required then I'm sure I could find out somehow. I know phpdev4 includes MySQL and Apache server, but would these be adequate software to use?

I was hoping to go to an outside host to save all the hastle, but due to red tape, we have been denied

Any help what-so-ever would be appreciated as this is an area I really have not got a clue about.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of is the server running WIN or *NIX? if it is running WIN, then use PHPDEV. It should install like it did for your comp and will work the same on the server. If it is for *NIX, make sure the appopriate modules needed are installed.
    Net-Trend.com - Full featured multi domain hosting solutions.
    RevoServe.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. (Legal adult content acceptable)
    Providing quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi net-trend

At a guess I would say the server runs Windows. I say this because I visited the server room once, and the monitor used along-side the server had the Windows OS desktop on it.

Then again, I have no idea what the desktop looks like on a *nix machine, they may be identical, I don't know.

If it is Windows (fingers crossed), then I can't believe how easy it is to set up. When I installed phpdev4 on my PC, I had it up and running in seconds.

Can you offer an insight into maintenace, though. When I say this, I mean is it ok to leave the server running 24/7, or does the server need reseting every now and then? This would not be my job, but if it is required, I need to make sure someone is assigned such a task (points finger to person number 2).

Thanks again for you help.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, if its even a *nix machine then its not that difficult to install PHP. Just run a search on google.com and you would find tons of tutorials teaching you to do so.

If you even have some problems installing it on either OS, drop me an e-mail and I will help you out.

--Omair
    36Host.com - $36/year web hosting [affiliates earn 30%]
    * Affordable Small Business Web Hosting since 2003! *
    "500mb space, 10gb bandwith, 50 pop/ftp accounts, php,
    mysql, pre-installed php scripts, 24/7 support & more...."

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Decoy,

There will be no need for reboots unless something goes really wrong. But it is advisable to check for updated version of PHPDEV as they might include important patches.

But really you do not have to do much since you are just using it for some PHP pages, a forum and not much more.

Just treat the server like the PC you are using at home. All should be fine. So in summary, required maintenance should be very low.

Just make sure the server is a healthy one.

Regards,
    Adrian.
    RevoServe.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. (Legal adult content acceptable)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you even have some problems installing it on either OS, drop me an e-mail and I will help you out.
    Thanks for the offer Omair Haroon. I'll hopefully be able to work out how it's done, but if I get stuck I'll be sure to ask.

And net-trend, it's good to hear that there may be minimum maintenance required. From what I've been told, the current server is a bit old, but there may be a chance that the inhouse IT dept may give us a brand new one that is just sitting on the shelf. Then again, the NHS aren't known for their generosity

If I may just ask one more question, though. We were actually trying to get the web site hosted by an outside host, but the IT dept said that the IP address of the domain name we have had been registered to the NHS. This is just one reason along with a load more red tape that was preventing us from hosting it else where.

If we did decide to host it else where, how hard would it be to transfer it to another server if the current domain is pointing to the IP address in use at the moment?

I hope that makes sense because I don't fully understand the network side of things.

Thanks again for you comments.

Take care.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Decoy,

Transferring your site to another couldn't be any easier. I can also help you with that if you want. It's just as easy as copying what you have to the new host.

And about the IP situation, all you need is to have the domain point to the hosts DNS servers. That is basically it. No red tape. It should be done by the NHSs domain registrar and is very easy to do.

After that is done, the domain will point to the new location.

Regards,
    Adrian.

Alt+F4= User Control ;-) rabmurdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decoy

It would be very easy to move the contents to a private web host, you could have it up and running in a couple of days.

Pointing the domain at the nameservers is the 'only' complicated part of the process, and even thats easy enough.

If you want a host for the site have a look at the ones I am using for now ...Barefooting.

Rab
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a bit of info.... if you want to run phpBB you'll have to have MySQL as well as PHP installed on your server...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I'm sure he knows that because the package he is using(phpdev4) includes everything needed to run a full blown php site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by beley
    Just a bit of info.... if you want to run phpBB you'll have to have MySQL as well as PHP installed on your server...
    i love php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks net-trend and rabmurdy, we were told it would take 2 weeks to have the name registered with another host company by our IT dept. It's good to hear that it isn't a difficult process at all, but there is still 'other' red tape that is preventing the move at the moment.

PHPDEV will be installed either today or tomorrow on the hospital server. The last site was constantly going down, and if the same happens with the one I've developed for them, then I'll insist on it being moved as it is unacceptable for it to go do at all. So this will basically be a trial period for them.

Thanks again for clearing that up for me, I'll see how this goes with the install. If all goes pear-shaped then I'll be back again (fingers crossed).

Take care.

P.S. Thanks for the info beley.