SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Classic ASP and online business card designer ?

Hi,

I'm new here and here we go:

I'm wondering what the best approach would be and if it would be possible to create an classic asp online business card designer with the aspJPEG component (http://www.aspjpeg.com) or imgWriter (http://www.softartisans.com/imgwriter.html) and which one would be then best to use.

Should i use dhtml/ajax/javascript scripting to make flexible or moveable elements for the user's input or would flash / flex be the right approach.

I think it would be possible but which one is the best, in my eyes it has to be with the aspJPEG component, only due to the fact that they have not pushed it away in the background behind their other products and aspJPEG are still updating their component. I also have worked with this component for many years now, but with an far older version.

please share your view on this topic, cheers for any replies or feedback

Iwan

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should i use dhtml/ajax/javascript scripting to make flexible or moveable elements for the user's input or would flash / flex be the right approach.

this is a classic ASP forum - what is your ASP question ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi webber123456,

sorry was brainstorming on.......
    i meant the components of course silly me

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which is "best"?

There's only two options from your post. They have different prices and features.

Only you can decide which is "best" for you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what never mind, this is pointless as I just ask for other programmers their views on which one they would use or suggest in order to build a online business card designer, I have no experience what so ever with imgWriter, and pricing is not a problem, I just wanted input from other developers that might have done something similar in the past.....

Have you got any experience with these components ? and if so, which one would you use if you had to build a online business card designer ?

Replies like: 'There's only two options from your post. They have different prices and features..' are no use, as they are the only 2 components for classic ASP that count.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS: stop shooting the thread down and be a bit more helpful by sharing your views.....

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they both have trial periods - you already have experience with one .

try the other and decide which is preferable.

not so tough...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, that was very helpful, i couldn't have thought of that myself......cheers.

TOPIC CLOSED.........has no use....

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You never know when another member may happen along.

Until then please remember

Respect yourself and others
    Be courteous and polite at all times, even if you disagree with someone.

* Keep your language family-friendly. Some words are censored to enforce this requirement.
    * Do not make personal attacks against another member.

Think before you hit submit.

If someone annoys you, don't respond -- report the post to a moderator.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    You never know when another member may happen along.

Until then please remember

Respect yourself and others
    Sorry, webber12345678910111213467etc....... that i might have offended you in some way or another, however i have been just as polite as you have been helpful towards this thread/topic

Be courteous and polite at all times, even if you disagree with someone.
    * Keep your language family-friendly. Some words are censored to enforce this requirement.
    * Do not make personal attacks against another member.
    Think before you hit submit.
    If someone annoys you, don't respond -- report the post to a moderator.

You don't annoy me, you just don't give useful advice regarding this topic, however if you do feel offended by this please report me to the moderator......

If you have any useful comments or advice please help, if not please loose your interest in this thread/topic.....

Again my question was did you had any experience with any of these components and what would you suggest ???

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I'm going to pipe in here for a minute and provide a bit of backup for iHekkenberg as well as anyone else who happens to come by as a new member looking for some help from the "Experts" in the ASP forum.

I don't see anything wrong with your initial post requesting help and hoping to prompt more discussion about aspJPG and imgWriter. The question was definitely about ASP and therefore rightly belonged in this section. If I had some experience with these particular products I would have joined in to provide some useful discussion. As it was I decided not to clutter up the thread with noise.

I must apologize for the "welcome" you received in reply to your quest for help. I've been here for about 10 years and I can tell you that it is not typical of the type of help you'll usually see in the forums here.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yes - this is definitely an ASP question...

and trying to ask someone which of two products is the best choice for a specific intented use, which only the OP has a clear vision of, is a lot like asking for someone to pick your favorite color.

There's no good answer for that product question. Especially since the OP has been using one of the products for "many years"! He probably knows more about it than anybody.

The other product has a trial download. The correct answer here is in fact to download the second product and compare its usage to the one that's already known.

The only bad behavior here is being offended by the correct answer.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, to reiterate what Mitt said - let's stay away from the personal attacks. Keep it polite and courteous. No need to attack each other.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi awasson,

Thank you for your warming welcome, I must say I was wrong in asking about the various other scripting languages to give a overall view/inside of a project, baring in mind that there are evaluation versions of these components available, the time span that is given would be far to short to try and find out with one would be better and give the best result.

I would indeed love to see a discussion appear between people with experience in/or with these components and as a result of that see which one is the better of the two.

In the original post I forgot to mention that I have been working with aspJPEG 1.2, just for resizing and creating thumbs, not to create a full blown designer. now I'm able to upgrade the component on a dedicated server to a newer version 2.2 which has more support and features build-in and therefor was the question also raised.

I have done some research today regarding the aspJPEG component and like the fact that you can use custom font types (TrueType/OpenType and Type 1, which don't have to be properly registered on the system), which I couldn't find in the imgWriter component.

Reference:
    PrintTextEx, a more versatile alternative to the PrintText method, has been added. The new method supports high-quality text anti-aliasing on any background, word wrapping, text alignment, and adjustable opacity and line spacing. A font is specified by a physical path so it does not have to be properly registered on the system. Both TrueType/OpenType and Type 1 fonts are supported.

Again sorry for any upsets i may or may not have cause but let's stay on topic, i would love to discuss ASP and it's possibilities, as this is my main income as developer.

With kind regards,

Iwan Hekkenberg
    DevCentral

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi iHekkenberg,
    I'm glad to hear you are on the road to success with your project.

I've always found these forums a great place to get advice on how to approach various web programming challenges and good place to prompt discussion. There's nothing wrong in fact with asking about how you can integrate different scripting solutions (client/server) because in the real world we often have to include them in our solutions.

Again sorry for any upsets i may or may not have cause but let's stay on topic, i would love to discuss ASP and it's possibilities, as this is my main income as developer.
    Great! Hopefully you'll join in the discussions and help provide helpful answers as questions come up in the ASP forum. There aren't too many old school ASP developers around these days. These days 99% of my work is in other technologies but I still take comfort in looking for solutions with my old friend ASP
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There aren't too many old school ASP developers around these days. These days 99% of my work is in other technologies but I still take comfort in looking for solutions with my old friend ASP
    YES, I know I should move to .net but can you teach of old dog new tricks

Yes, that's indeed awesome that aspJPEG component supports custom font types, as i would like to give the user a different font style then the default system ones.

I have found a company (b2cprint website) in the USA that has already build this in classic asp (old school) and this give me a idea off how to approach this, and currently I'm in a dialog with them regarding their product pricing, source code, rights etc...before I start inventing a square wheel again, the application looks OK and could do with more features but this give you a rough idea of what I would like to develop and accomplish.

For a example of a designer visit: (here)

Now, here's another question regarding the 2 earlier mentioned components;

Would aspJPEG do the job or be sufficient enough for a application like this or am I totally in the wrong direction ?

Cheers

Iwan