SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian criminal record service...

Thought I might post this site up to get some opinions on the general design and layout, useability etc.

http://www.federalpardons.ca/

Thanks in advance.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe consider changing the image of the guy in a suit to a judge with a hammer? :-)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is easy to understand and appears to be easy to use (e.g. apply through your firm for a record purge). The three column layout looks a little old fashion to me, but I don’t think you’re going lose any potential clients because of that, so it’s not something to worry about. The same goes for the use of tables for the layout, rather than using a CSS layout. Tables for layouts are out of style, but it shouldn’t impact your business. There is some difference in the layout (column widths and cell heights) between IE7, FireFox, and Chrome, why may be because you’re using tables instead of CSS. The only problem I noticed was that there’s a large gap between WHY CHOOSE US? and the first reason why in FireFox.

I’m not sure why you’re using the Spry Menubar instead of something like Suckerfish. I found the delay for the drop-down under Canadian Pardons to be a little annoying, plus when I moved my mouse over the menu quickly, the menu wouldn’t drop, so it’s possible to miss that there was something there. The drop-down submenu has a gray border around some of the menu on the left and doesn’t align with the with the menu item above. Also, the drop down might look better if the text lined up.

I would recommend some change to the top background image (federal-pardons2.jpg): move the crest to the right four pixels so it better aligns with the text below it; shift the gentleman towards the left slightly so he’s more centered between the Law Society and Guarantee; and if you have a large version of the gentleman, smooth out the top of his hair (looks like he has a cowlick sticking up) and lighten up the five-o’clock shadow (makes him look less trustworthy). Also, the image in the website’s cutting off part of his left arm, which looks a little strange.

Using just the RSS feed symbol as the link the blog makes it a little hard to find the blog. You might want to add the blog to the top menu bar.

The center column has a mix of text colors and underlining, which makes it a little confusing what’s a link and what’s not. It might be better to use bold and italic to show emphasis, and use red, underlined text for links (use the normal practices as that’s what people are use to).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is clean and has an interesting design. But: I would suggest: adding a full width table background, optimize it, because it took more than 30 secs to load the all images, especially the banner, it is too big, try to resize it. My overall score for the website you created is 4 stars out of 5.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good - I immediately knew what services you were offering and the prices.

The bad - it all seems a little flashy and dated.. lots of images, big large bold text (but not in a modern web 2.0ish sort of way).

As someone else said, the 3 column layout is probably what is turning me off a bit.. I think there's more effective layouts that could be used for this landing page.. what you've essentially got here is a "squeeze page" - if you search around for squeeze page examples, you'll find some tips on what is effective and what isn't.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first impression was that this seemed a bit spammy scammy looking. Things like ***URGENT NOTICE*** and all that underlining and capitals puts me on the defensive - it's the same kind of thing that turns up in my inbox telling me I've won a lottery I didn't enter!

Also, you have a home button that takes the user to the 'why choose us' bit.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good responses, thanks everyone who replied.