SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone ever used it? I downloaded it on a 33K connection using GoZilla (thank goodness) and installed it. Now when I try to run it though, it gets to about the BeOS logo thing and then jsut stays there forveer and won't do anything. does anyone have any suggestions?

------------------
    Timothy
    http://www.mybizhosting.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded BeOS over a 26.4 connection, with GoZilla.

I think I remember waiting a bit for BeOS to work...maybe you should wait a little.

If that doesn't work, quit ALL programs you have running, and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL once. Select any running program (besides Explorer) and choose "End Task". Repeat this until all of these do not display.

Now try installing.

Let us know how this works out!

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've downloaded BeOS PE5 too, but over my cable connection using Getright although that wasn't really necessary with 56K/s.

Ok, I presume you try to boot BeOS from within Windows. Let me give you one tip: DON'T DO THIS!! It made my computer crash once too. You'd better boot BeOS using the bootdisk.
    You can create the bootdisk this way:
    1. In Windows go to the BeOS directory
    2. You'll see an .exe file of which the title has something to do with a bootfloppy, maybe it's called 'createbootfloppy.exe' or something equal
    3. Execute this file and follow the on-screen instructions. BTW you'll need one blank formatted floppy for this
    4. Reboot your PC with the bootfloppy in the drive

PS: make sure you've enabled 'booting from floppy' in the BIOS.

Good luck!

Last note: I've uninstalled BeOS after two months since I couldn't find any really usefull software for it, but the OS itself is great!

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    http://emudreams.tsx.org
    TriAxis (Still Alpha!)
    Everyone has a destiny in life. Some just never reach it

[This message has been edited by Elledan (edited August 14, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by trcfreebies:

If that doesn't work, quit ALL programs you have running, and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL once. Select any running program (besides Explorer) and choose "End Task". Repeat this until all of these do not display.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhm... I'd suggest you don't 'End' Systray either. As many know, Windows consists out of two main parts: Explorer and Systray. Close one and you're facing a very nasty experience.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    TriAxis (Still Alpha!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just applied both suggestions at basically the same time and it worked! I uninstalled and deleted BeOS from my hard drive. I rebooted and closed everything using the end task suggestion... Then I reinstalled it. I made the little boot disk and rebooted. Now I'm in business. I went in and within minutes I was on-line at Sitepoint from within BeOS. The funy thing is I have a winmodem. I wasn't expecting it to work. Now if I could only figure out how to get it networked I might give BeOS a try for a few days. I just need a few programs especially and ICQ clone that works in it. I want to try out a few other OSes. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm on a modem (snail) so I can't downlaod much, but I can do some with the help of gozilla. If someone happens to have an extra CD with an OS or flavor of UNIX on it, I'd be happy to take it off their hands

Thanks for the help Aidan and Elledan.

------------------
    Timothy
    http://www.mybizhosting.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elledan: I have heard exactly what you have stated. However, I have quit Systray several times without any problems.

I never had to make a boot disk, BeOS launches just fine from Windows. I like BeOS more than any flavor of Linux I have ever seen, and in many respects more than Windows.

Timothy: Check out http://www.tucows.com/ it has loads of BeOS software.

You can download Linux from the Internet, and you can buy it from the store. I bought RedHat Linux (around 100 bucks) and Linux Mandrake...but I have seen flavors of Linux in stores for around 10 dollars.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like Systray isn't so important after all!

About an ICQ clone for BeOS: Try hard and maybe you'll find one, but I couldn't.

PS: I've made BeOS crash four times

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    TriAxis (Still Alpha!)