SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes, I was surely thinking of giving this a go Robert! I haven't done much with CSS3 yet, so I'd like to go all out with that and see what I can do with it. I can't promise it will look pretty, but I'll certainly try my best!
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xhtmlcoder View Post

I am going to be brave (foolhardy) here. Let's see if I can get the attention of our most beloved Capt. Sarah HAWK Taylor?

I know she can see this as nothing escapes her beady hawk like eyes and her left hook is legendary so I'll have to be careful that she doesn't wallop me.

So Captain HAWK, although I know you need more arms than an octopus, what is the possibility of you showing your stuff and entering a competition piece just for fun?

I feel you have a secret burning desire to do so; it doesn't have to be in pink so you'll be glad on that aspect.

HAWK, what say ye? (please don't say Robert, you're fired!) ;-)
    Haha, you're definitely not fired and it's a great idea but one that I'm going to have to say no to. We are launching a new site this week (that's all I can say right now ) so I am way more than swamped with work.

Sorry. I hate saying no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a total newb amongst you beasts but if I have time, I may try too. This is going to be embarrasing.Will I be allowed to use my Sitepoint books? I so love them and I have to pace myself and not buy all of them at once.

Oh dear, what am I getting myself into ... and this is where I regret not signing up for the Sitepoint courses

Que la compétition commence!
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will throw my hat in the ring. Bit of a n00b around these parts but will give it a shot.

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa, wait there will be CSS3 involved in this (it could be used?)

What will the judging criteria be on? I hope it is thoroughly explained when it is released)

If CSS3 is involved, I'll have to read through all the modules and brush up on a few subjects..
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    All the rules will be posted tomorrow but I can tell you that you can use any CSS version you like
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice to hear our Administrator is busy at the SPF helm, it's a shame she won't have time to compete. As you could see she was very disappointed; she wouldn't have the spare time, since she knows just how great this competition will be. So she will be probably offering more than just one mug as a prize.

Yes, use your SitePoint books if you want. Anybody who is a newbie, don't worry if what you produce looks less appealing than what some of the veterans produce. It's probably one of the greatest ways to learn (entering this competition) and perhaps one day you will get really good but this competition will tax people of all levels.

Ryan Reese have you been slacking? Go scrub the deck, I want to see gleaming CSS3 from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert's Parrot
    The Parrot squaarks loudly! 'Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!'
    Ryan and others, if you have been listening to what I have been saying in this thread and cryptic clues given out by my Parrot. You would know CSS3 would be allowed but remember choose your weapons 'wisely'.

I expect every one of you here that have said 'YES' or 'maybe' to have a go regardless of skill level. Anybody who has survived more than one PM from me knows I may show some respect for people 'brave enough' to let me judge their work. Albeit I won't be the only Judge for the Competition and Shaun(OfTheDead) wrote the rules, not I.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Robert you talk the talk, but we are yet to see if you walk the walk. Is this competition truly one of the mind boggling revolutionary types that you so advertise that it is?

Off Topic:

in topic but off topic too, personally I had no clue this competition existed until Paul pointed me at it, so the problem with numbers does not come from enthusiasm, it comes from the fact that currently the thread is "invisible", even with all the signatures (that are blocked to the non-registered visitors). Also it's the time of the year when everyone is still ultra busy after the holiday break, first they are busy relaxing, now they are busy catching up, while the few that know of this but don't take part, likely because they won't spend time guessing if it will be interesting or not! so expect to see a increase in activity after it goes live and people start to tweet and spread the word if it is truly interesting!

p.s. where is Eric J?

p.p.s.
    It's probably one of the greatest ways to learn
    It IS the greatest way to learn.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Is this competition truly one of the mind boggling revolutionary types that you so advertise that it is?
    Let's not turn this into a Google Wave now...

otherwise all the hype will have people wonder where the rest of the competition is. It's just an HTML/CSS competition where you cannot use scripts or images for a web page.

I expect people to have creative submissions.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriKolovsky View Post
    p.s. where is Eric J?
    Erik has been in China for a while now but is recently back and spreading his genius around the forums once again.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My HTML & CSS skills are modest. I picked up good stuff from CSS Live & Practical CSS. I keep referring back to figure out stuff when I try to apply outside of the class exercises.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what is involved & giving a go - even if I don't submit anything.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dstevens
    I keep referring back to figure out stuff when I try to apply outside of the class exercises.
    Awesome, I did that for a long time too. And when you stop doing that, you find yourself still googling stuff : )

I would say this contest is pretty open to anyone who knows some basic CSS. After all, creativity isn't limited by tool knowledge.

Design Your Site Team bronze trophy Erik J's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriKolovsky View Post
    p.s. where is Eric J?
    I'm over here.

If I have an opportunity I'll give it a try. Staff doesn't win any of the prizes, we do it for the fun only.
    Happy ADD/ADHD with Asperger's

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's not turn this into a Google Wave now...
    it's a joke... because of all the promotion of this contest. :P
    (Although personally I'll be happy with anything at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik J View Post
    I'm over here.
    Oh hi there! Can't have the competition without all the pro's taking part. Now I can't wait for it to start.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hay it's Feb 1st in New Zealand... where's my competition?

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your competition is waiting... We didn't say at what time of day we would release it onto the public forum - hopefully soon. Staff live in various locations and timezones and need to agree, and talk with the SPF 'powers that be' first about one or two items and possibly setup the facilities to accept your submissions.

In either case you get nearly a month to think about what you'll submit so think deeply if you want.

It's the competitors that will hopefully make the competition a 'success'.

I'd like to thank everyone for their time and effort and for those who will be competing for whatever reason they choose.

Hopefully it lives up to many peoples expectations. Even though it will be very simple by design - it can be cunning with regards to how far you can push yourselves with the task.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha NZ - first to see the sun. It's okay I was just being silly really, I know full well that I live in the future :P

...but I'm just so darn excited to see the details and get stuck in! Our designer says he's already started (I'm not sure how though!)

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The competition is live !!!

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730215

Let's resume the discussion over at that thread and close this one to avoid confusion
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree