SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to 'sign-up' it isn't the Navy. I don't have to send out the 'press gang' men either and force you to compete. The more the merrier; I want to see what you all can do to impress me or show what skills you have learnt from the SP forums so far.

It will all become clear in February, we'll set you the Challenge and when you've completed it there will probably be a thread where you can submit your work or answers, etc.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RyanReese,

I would say not to give up so easily. As they say, nothing worth having is easy. If you're not getting work from the people who come to you first, you should try to assess why. If you can find out why they aren't coming to you first and fix whatever it is then you'll be in a better position to get work.

It's also important to remember something that I didn't know when I was just out of college in this field. Just being talented at this isn't good enough. Most people who could potentially hire you don't know the difference between someone who is a good web designer/web developer and a bad one. It's not about how good you are at this work, it's about how good you are at convincing people that you're good at this work. If you pay attention to exactly what the client wants the most and you make them happy, then they will work with you more and they will find you more clients. If you're great at this but you do things in the wrong order or in a way they client doesn't understand, then they may not see that you're good at it.

More important that being a great web developer is being great at convincing people you're a great web developer. I had a teacher for a single day class on social media marketing once who, although I feel bad for saying it was really not good at this. She refused to learn CSS because she didn't understand why she needed to and her designs didn't show any sign of professionalism. Despite her complete lack of skill in this field, she was regularly getting 5-7 new clients a month and teaching at a very well respected school because she was good at convincing people she knew what she was doing.

Whether you're good at it is less important than whether you can convey that you're good at it. Clients are people which means they're subjective AND they're not web professionals which means they don't know whether the work is good. The skill you might need might not be development, it might be the ability to sell yourself.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well depending on my workload next week I might just have to give this one a try, haven't been around much lately ... might be a good way to jump back in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No programming allowed within the applications? What about HTML5?
    Blake Tallos - Software Engineer for Sanctuary
    Software Studio, Inc. C# - Fanatic!
    http://www.sancsoft.com/

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    Really? I thought it was really competitive out there, price wise as well as customer/work-wise.
    It might be really competitive where you are down south but up North it might not be so bad, although it still is really competitive of course. It all depends on differing factors though, so many different things it depends on, but I seem to be doing pretty good for myself. Don't get me wrong, it isn't easy, it's far from it, but I'm not really one to complain about it. If the work doesn't find me then I'll go out and find the work, you have to work for the work. And BING - You've just inspired me to start a new thread about something Thanks for that!

Andrew Cooper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really interested in this! And I'm pretty new around here, but I've bought some books from SP and I love them.

RyanReese, I just graduated college in May 2010 and was lucky enough to get a job in late September. There are jobs out there, you just have to apply like crazy to finally get the attention you deserve.

Also, when looking for freelance, pretty much anywhere! Get some business cards (I usually buy from OvernightPrints.com) and just hand them out when you meet someone new. I even got a client from a bar I frequented when I was in college. It's all about getting to know new people.

You could even try to see if some small businesses in your town have a site or not. If they do but it definitely needs some help, then drop a business card with them. If they don't, then offer to do one. Having a site to put on your business card would probably help. I know how it is to be a poor college student, I'm $54,000 in debt with student loans. For cheap hosting, I suggest http://holeinthewallhosting.com/, which starts at $19/year... That's a great deal!
    ♥ Jennifer
    JenAshley.com

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    ..., haven't been around much lately ...
    No kidding

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm game!
    Simon Pieters

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm game!
    W00t!

SitePoint Enthusiast PenguinsRock's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might well do this just as a challenge for myself - I am certain there are better people out there than me, but I might give it a crack for the heck of it anyway!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No programming allowed within the applications? What about HTML5?
    HTML5 is HTML, so, markup. So, HTML5 should count as the "HTML" part of the contest. But no Javascript, keep in mind.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, if you really want to you can choose from several versions or variations of markup and CSS for the competition (sorry, no SVG). Because we want to give you as much flexibility on offer without alienating hobbyists, etc.

Although you have to remember I won't be just looking at the semantics, markup and CSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert's Parrot
    The Parrot squaarks loudly! 'What sort of a sword do you call that?'
    Though like I said it's up to you how you use your weapons and how you apply them...

Some will give your more 'advantage' than others when you look at the full criteria we we'll be judging against. Choose wisely, or even if you are doing it "just for fun" and experience; just have a go!

We've made it fairly straightforward so even an amateur can submit something to be proud of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    HTML5 is HTML, so, markup. So, HTML5 should count as the "HTML" part of the contest. But no Javascript, keep in mind.
    Yeah, hopefully they allow it. Haha, who says we cant use another language besides Javascript. =P
    Blake Tallos - Software Engineer for Sanctuary
    Software Studio, Inc. C# - Fanatic!
    http://www.sancsoft.com/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking the same as catmackay. A Challenge for myself!
    Looking forward to this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tempting. I might give it a shot.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Haha, who says we cant use another language besides Javascript. =P
    I'm pretty sure no PyJamas or Ruby-whatever will be allowed either...
    now XSLT I'm not sure, but I'd guess no : )

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I like the idea of pure on those works. I'm on.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they'll be no server-side anything or any type of client side scripting allowed as it suggests in the title and the rest will become apparent when you are all given the task.

Is this all we can muster? Surely there are more of you just lurking and longing to compete in this competition but daren't speak up. Don't be scared off by the professionals or big names on this forum.

It is the entering that counts; some of you'll be able to say to your children or grand children 'I was there; I stood-up to be counted, took the challenge and competed in the very first SPF Pure HTML & CSS Competition!'

Anyway, HAWK will probably fire me... if I don't get some more of you to say YES you'll compete! Behind scenes we are wrangling for more than just one amazing prize if the numbers are high enough!

The Parrot squaarks loudly! 'Polly want a win I ♥ HTML SP Mug!'
    That mug is certainly a good enough reason to compete to win - better than any tacky trophy. You can at least drink out of it and don't need silver polish or you can just admire its beauty. I am so envious that I cannot compete.

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even drink coffee but I want a chance of getting that mug, probably use it to drink my apple juice .
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    I don't even drink coffee but I want a chance of getting that mug, probably use it to drink my apple juice .
    Neither do I haha, I use it to drink my Orange juice

February is so close, yet it feels so far away!

Andrew Cooper

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I'd drink freshly roasted code from it, always tastes good in a morning.

Whistles suggestively!
    Paul O'B, are you hiding in the crow's-nest? May we ask if you going to submit something 'just for fun', come-on impress us with your CSS wizardry!

If we don't get some more competitors I'll start PM'ing people there's plenty of talent out there.

Some of you call yourselves 'professional' web developers or designers don't you? But I'm not so sure, I want to see 'proof', show me your stuff (ENTER your name here) you can talk-the-talk but can you walk-the-walk?

By entering this competition on a level playing-field.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xhtmlcoder View Post
    Personally I'd drink freshly roasted code from it, always tastes good in a morning.
    Paul O'B, are you hiding in the crow's-nest? May we ask if you going to submit something 'just for fun', come-on impress us with your CSS wizardry!
    lol - as many of you know my design skills are zero (just look at my site) so I doubt I could produce anything eye catching.

I am interested in the code underneath so I'll have a go "just for fun" and while it may be clever under the hood it will still look like a wreck from the outside.

Hmmm now was it "blue and green should never be seen" or is it "red and green" ............

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B View Post
    lol - as many of you know my design skills are zero (just look at my site) so I doubt I could produce anything eye catching.

I am interested in the code underneath so I'll have a go "just for fun" and while it may be clever under the hood it will still look like a wreck from the outside.

Hmmm now was it "blue and green should never be seen" or is it "red and green" ............
    Likewise, I'm in it for the code but rubbish at design!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently struggling my way through a sitepoint course, and trying to keep up with about a million or so other things as well - but I will jump in to the competition here if I can find a little time, it sounds interesting.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those that don't know staff members, i.e. those people coloured in orange (Mentors), green (Advisors), dark blue (Team Leaders) or red (Galactic Overload) can only submit material 'just for fun' so don't worry you won't be competing against them.

Some people's lack of enthusiasm for this competition disturbs me...

Although I really commend all of you that are 'willing to try' even though some of you may only have modest skills. I understand some of you consider yourselves only at 'beginner level' and feel embarrassed; competing shows true courage.

I am going to be brave (foolhardy) here. Let's see if I can get the attention of our most beloved Capt. Sarah HAWK Taylor?

I know she can see this as nothing escapes her beady hawk like eyes and her left hook is legendary so I'll have to be careful that she doesn't wallop me.

So Captain HAWK, although I know you need more arms than an octopus, what is the possibility of you showing your stuff and entering a competition piece just for fun?

I feel you have a secret burning desire to do so; it doesn't have to be in pink so you'll be glad on that aspect.

HAWK, what say ye? (please don't say Robert, you're fired!) ;-)

Remon (ScallioXTX) I know you are mainly into server-side technologies but surely now you want to flex your muscles. See how far you've progressed with front-end design?

Come on give it a go, it will be less scary submitting than talking to me and you've survived the former on several occasions.