0 Thread(s)
    Sounds interesting , I am game to it

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm game!
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    I thought you were leaving in December!
    Me being in colllege and not having class from 12-4 leaves me 4 hours of dullness. I can't cube around these college people without getting annoyed the **** out of .

I think I'll be back for a bit, who knows, I might even get motivation to stick with CSS again. Me not being able to get a job outa it really killed what motivation I had for it, that and unthankful brats here
    Always looking for web design/development work.
    http://www.CodeFundamentals.com

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Me not being able to get a job outa it really killed what motivation I had for it, that and unthankful brats here
    Mozilla's looking for a technical evangelist!
    http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/...j=oWCyVfwL&v=1

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Me not being able to get a job outa it really killed what motivation I had for it, that and unthankful brats here
    Really? Keep trying man, there's plenty of work out there for talented web developers. You really need to know Javascript as well to be a flexible front-end dev. Additional skills like SQL & PHP will make you a more desirable employee. Maybe you were too specific?

How awesome is working on the web? This Awesome.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    Work for yourself, that's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    If Mozilla had -any- of those positions available here in the United Kingdom I would have applied to around 10 of those. If only the UK was that tad bit better...

Still looking forward to this HTML + CSS competition though!

Andrew Cooper

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    Off Topic:

Really? Keep trying man, there's plenty of work out there for talented web developers. You really need to know Javascript as well to be a flexible front-end dev. Additional skills like SQL & PHP will make you a more desirable employee. Maybe you were too specific?
    100% agreed. If I was as good at JavaScript as I am at HTML & CSS I'd be swimming in money. Not literally, but you get the drift. It's just practicing and practicing and memorising and memorising that is the most tedious work. Once you've got that covered...BAM - You're in the game!

Andrew Cooper

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCooper View Post
    100% agreed. If I was as good at JavaScript as I am at HTML & CSS I'd be swimming in money. Not literally, but you get the drift. It's just practicing and practicing and memorising and memorising that is the most tedious work. Once you've got that covered...BAM - You're in the game!

Andrew Cooper
    It's not that simple but if it's what you want to do you - it just requires work.

http://www.andyrutledge.com/the-empl...b-designer.php

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese
    Me not being able to get a job outa it really killed what motivation I had for it
    Don't give up so easy.

You're just out of school, right?

Sorry to tell you, you'll be hard-pressed right now to find any work in any field without work-experience.

You might have to bite the bullet and flip burgers for a year or so. I used to sell VHS tapes in a video club. Yes, VHS tapes. I'm 25 and I sound ancient, jeez.

Whatever you do, stay focused. Use the time and the little bit of cash from whatever-work-you-can-find to refine your skills and send out resumes to EVERYWHERE.

If you do, in about a year or so you'll start getting call-backs. At least, that was the turn-around in Trinidad. Maybe where you are will be different.

And don't fret over the small-jobs. Bide your time. When this phase is done, you'll slowly realise you learnt a whole host of skills (and maybe gained friends too) from that small-job that are super-valuable to wherever you end up afterward.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that simple but if it's what you want to do you - it just requires work.

http://www.andyrutledge.com/the-empl...b-designer.php
    I realise it isn't that simple, Mark I was just taking it from a different angle, the angle of not really going into the finest details because if I had 1 for every time I seen that link that you posted I would actually literally be swimming in money Also "it just requires work." It isn't -that- simple either

Andrew Cooper

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only really know HTML/CSS/fair bit of JS, PHP and SQL. I know a good bit of Java too though..I don't see me fitting in anywhere there
    Off Topic:

I searched for about a year, along with seeing if I could freelance but I get no customers. I have about 2 steady customers who use me as a last resort to fix something their other designers can't (I don't see why not just start with me to begin with)...

Work for yourself, that's what I do.

If Mozilla had -any- of those positions available here in the United Kingdom I would have applied to around 10 of those. If only the UK was that tad bit better...

Still looking forward to this HTML + CSS competition though!

Andrew Cooper
    As said above, I try, just not enough clients. I don't know how to find any

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Don't give up so easy.

You're just out of school, right?

Sorry to tell you, you'll be hard-pressed right now to find any work in any field without work-experience.

You might have to bite the bullet and flip burgers for a year or so. I used to sell VHS tapes in a video club. Yes, VHS tapes. I'm 25 and I sound ancient, jeez.

Whatever you do, stay focused. Use the time and the little bit of cash from whatever-work-you-can-find to refine your skills and send out resumes to EVERYWHERE.

If you do, in about a year or so you'll start getting call-backs. At least, that was the turn-around in Trinidad. Maybe where you are will be different.

And don't fret over the small-jobs. Bide your time. When this phase is done, you'll slowly realise you learnt a whole host of skills (and maybe gained friends too) from that small-job that are super-valuable to wherever you end up afterward.

I'm actually still in college, I started doing CSS freshman year, getting seriously into it end of sophomore year. I currently am a manager at Dairy Queen, "biding my time" so to speak

But we are getting off topic..

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I searched for about a year, along with seeing if I could freelance but I get no customers. I have about 2 steady customers who use me as a last resort to fix something their other designers can't (I don't see why not just start with me to begin with)...

As said above, I try, just not enough clients. I don't know how to find any
    I honestly don't see how someone like yourself who has the knowledge, technique, and experience can't get a steady stream of clients through freelancing! Either the economy is really bad in America or you just need a little bit of help. I can't help the American economy but I can give you some help - Right here. Order it, go through it all, modify the documents to your own business, and watch your bank balance go sky high!

Andrew Cooper

P.S. You seriously need to get yourself a personal and / or business Website.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then stop moping. Let's see how you can impress me with your competition entry. You never know, when they see what you can do regarding this 'amazing competition' something good may appear.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown
    When Chris Heilmann showed us that at Fronteers I was like, whoa, my job could be like that??

Then I came home and saw what it really was : )

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code CSS:
    competition {
        subscribe:1;
    }

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

When Chris Heilmann showed us that at Fronteers I was like, whoa, my job could be like that??

Then I came home and saw what it really was : )
    Even better?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert's Parrot
    The Parrot squaarks loudly! Who's a good boy, then?
    So I have at least several people that have said YES! Let's impress people or at the very least have a go. Even if your skills are modest it will be a learning experience for you and everyone else so you'll be able to learn from one another for the greater good.

I would actually compete "just for fun" myself but alas I am not eligible (so you can breathe easily) but you'll all enjoy the experience if you just give it a 'good shot', I can guarantee that.

Anybody seen Gary (gary.turner) or Simon (zcorpan) lately? I am sure they'd be interested.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriKolovsky View Post
    Code CSS:
    competition {
        subscribe:1;
    }
    Sorry, invalid CSS, you fail :P

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sorry, invalid CSS, you fail :P
    Ja, you're s'posed to put a boolean unit on the end; you can't just go around adding random numbers to things like that!

line-height excepted

Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by markbrown
    Even better?
    No, I realised my job will never, ever, EVER be anywhere near the awesome of that image. I have a boss who is excited about an "app" for iWhatevers that, if you click it, it takes you to our web site. I kid not.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me being in colllege and not having class from 12-4 leaves me 4 hours of dullness. I can't cube around these college people without getting annoyed the **** out of .

I think I'll be back for a bit, who knows, I might even get motivation to stick with CSS again. Me not being able to get a job outa it really killed what motivation I had for it, that and unthankful brats here
    Hi RyanReese,

Just a few thoughts from reading your post.

Selling to people who aren't web designers isn't just about being awesome, it's about projecting that awesomeness to people who can't tell otherwise. A non designer can't look at your work and say, hey, he's good, so it's got to come from you.

That might be tough if you're still at college but I would have thought there are ways to project yourself as super mature and experienced in the way you look, the literature you give out, even little things like the pen you keep in your pocket and the file you keep your portfolio in.

I used the Sitepoint web design business kit when I went freelance a few years ago. It's got some good ideas in it and I'd recommend it thoroughly, though it isn't cheap. http://www.sitepoint.com/kits/freelance2/

Hope things pick up for you soon.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove the quitting reference for starters it exudes negativity even if it is meant to be in jest. You are going to compete and do well in this competition if you focus yourself.

That is one of the reasons this competition will be good because it covers several aspects. And NO you don't fail if you make a CSS error. As there is a lot more than just CSS and HTML going to being assessed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly don't see how someone like yourself who has the knowledge, technique, and experience can't get a steady stream of clients through freelancing! Either the economy is really bad in America or you just need a little bit of help. I can't help the American economy but I can give you some help - Right here. Order it, go through it all, modify the documents to your own business, and watch your bank balance go sky high!

Andrew Cooper

P.S. You seriously need to get yourself a personal and / or business Website.
    Completely agree. I definately know enough to have clients but it just isn't happening. The economy isn't too bad really, I just don't know where to find clients. I can sell myself to them but the problem is finding them. My pet peeve on here is people posting easy problems they get from working on clients sites..I agree sometimes people blank on answers to bug fixes..but if you don't know how to complete a clients work (bug fixes) then don't take the job! Give to me )
    Yeah I do need a site but I had to pay for college so I'm a bit broke now. I'll try to get a site online soonish.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfidget View Post
    Hi RyanReese,

Just a few thoughts from reading your post.

Selling to people who aren't web designers isn't just about being awesome, it's about projecting that awesomeness to people who can't tell otherwise. A non designer can't look at your work and say, hey, he's good, so it's got to come from you.

That might be tough if you're still at college but I would have thought there are ways to project yourself as super mature and experienced in the way you look, the literature you give out, even little things like the pen you keep in your pocket and the file you keep your portfolio in.

I used the Sitepoint web design business kit when I went freelance a few years ago. It's got some good ideas in it and I'd recommend it thoroughly, though it isn't cheap. http://www.sitepoint.com/kits/freelance2/

Hope things pick up for you soon.
    Again, once I find clients I can project my 1337ness.
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm super excited for this competition. I'm going to give it my all. I want to win this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try it, how do I sign up?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTC View Post
    I'll try it, how do I sign up?
    I assume no signup, when they release it you can do it if you wish .

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? I thought it was really competitive out there, price wise as well as customer/work-wise.