SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Editize Software Help

I just saw an ad for Editize here on the forum and did a took a quick look at the on line demo....pretty cool!!! This might be what I need..

Thoughts? Anyone using this?

Is this something I can install or can I pay someone here to do this.. It so easy to use ...no FrontPage and no html.

Thanks

Kimberly

Forum Mathematics Geek Agent Dwarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kimberly,

I'm not trying to sway you away from Editize, but I don't think it is meant for you.

Editize is meant for web developers to include it in a CMS they have already developed.

From what I gather, you seem to want to use it yourself. If this is the case, download the latest version of Internet Explorer (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp) and consider purchasing HTMLEditBox. HTMLEditBox is almost as good, but is browser dependant. As long as you have IE5.5+, it should be OK.

Please note: I think editize is a great product, but I don't think it's what you're looking for. Also, I am in no way affiliated with Labs4.com.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Content Management Systems - Etc

Thanks very much I see what you mean ... well then I suppose what I need to ask this forum is where can I be shopping for a CMS at...and the editing system you pointed me to seems to work as well.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to know what it Kimberly's post indicated that htmleditbox is more "for" Kimberly.

Editize is a superior product in that it is cross platform, doesn't rely on a particular browser or even on Javascript. And yes Kimberly, you most certainly can get help installing it here!

Have you tried installing the trial on a local machine yet?
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Content Management Systems - Etc

Originally posted by kimberly
    Thanks very much I see what you mean ... well then I suppose what I need to ask this forum is where can I be shopping for a CMS at...and the editing system you pointed me to seems to work as well.
    If you're after an easy to use, pre-built cms, take a look at http://www.phpnuke.org/ which is free .
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kimberly,

The posts above are quite right. You will need a CMS of some sort to use Editize with.

At the most basic, a CMS is just a script that allows data to be saved using a form, and then displayed later in a website. It may be saved as a file, or in a database.

I highly recommend Kevin's book "Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP and MySQL". It will teach you how to build a CMS. You can download the first four chapters for free here:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/books/

Even those four chapters will teach you how to get a basic database driven website going. It uses jokes as an example. You could use other types of articles, other than jokes.

You might also find free CMS scripts at http://php.resourceindex.com/

Before you install a script, it's good to have some programming knowledge, so give the book a try.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CMS - Editize

Many thanks everyone for the help. A collected lots of opinions and decided to have someone build a CMS just for the site and will use Editize. It's a $200 solution but it fits well and I can learn Editize.

Forum Mathematics Geek Agent Dwarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    I'd love to know what it Kimberly's post indicated that htmleditbox is more "for" Kimberly.

Editize is a superior product in that it is cross platform, doesn't rely on a particular browser or even on Javascript. And yes Kimberly, you most certainly can get help installing it here!

Have you tried installing the trial on a local machine yet?
    Here's why I said this:

Kimberly is looking for a solution for herself. The reason Editize is great is because although it is more expensive than htmleditbox, htmleditbox isn't cross browser/platform. It's wonderful if your clients have a macintosh and can't get that kind of thing to work. But if Kimberly herself is only using it, that isn't a problem. So why spend $100+ more if you can get what you need for $10?