SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I noticed that as well. I wrote the article, but I can't do anything about how Sitepoint designs their site

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to use Italics is a golden rule of web design? How odd, it's part of every "effective use of typography" book in the world.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends where you use the italics. Using them to highlight particular words within copy is great. However, when they are placed on headings that are larger in size anyway, they sometimes become harder to read and are absolutely unnecessary.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, I'd love for you to write a book or something, as that would contradict every typography course I've ever been on, and every typo professional I've ever met.

Italics are for emphasis. Choosing how you want to emphasize the method, based on your audience and the requirements, is the key. What you use to do that isn't.

To say a certain typographical style is "wrong" is way too simple, even when you quantify it. To say it is only "right" when surrounded by like-minded text is to limit the purpose. That would be like saying why bold when text is already larger, as it "could" be harder to read.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever, Jeremy. We all have the freedom to hold our own opinions. To each his own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually J, ive read other sources (none that i can think of in my current state) that tell you to avoide using italics, as italics go against the natural flow of pixels on a monitor, making the text harder to read.. ill try to find the source for you that explains it a bit more indepth tommorow when im not so tarashed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's okay mate, I leave for 10 days very soon (6 hours).

I'd be interested to read these sources though, so feel free to pm them to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (italics removed ) Originally posted by sdnet
    However, when they are placed on headings that are larger in size anyway, they sometimes become harder to read and are absolutely unnecessary.
    "Absolutely unnecessary"?? That's a bit of a sweeping statement, isn't it? While I wouldn't generally use them in headings, I have faith in people's creativity.

Certainly by now we've realised that we can assume nothing about the Next Site that goes online...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by iTec
    Actually J, ive read other sources (none that i can think of in my current state) that tell you to avoide using italics, as italics go against the natural flow of pixels on a monitor, making the text harder to read.. ill try to find the source for you that explains it a bit more indepth tommorow when im not so tarashed
    When improperly used, of course. It's tricky, because you have to find the right balance of font face, size, weight, spacing, etc, in order to get it to look right. I've experimented with italics lots of times, and every time is different because of the context.

To avoid using italics entirely is too drastic. They're too dependant on context-specific factors.

(Who wants to start the next thread: "Scaling Small Fonts in Italics!" )

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please keep in mind that I'm not advocating the elimination of italics on the Internet. In many cases, esecially in general body copy, they are especially useful. What I am arguing is, when using italics in headers, which are usually already larger than normal copy, it may be unnecessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by sdnet
    What I am arguing is, when using italics in headers, which are usually already larger than normal copy, it may be unnecessary.
    I know, that's what I was commenting on. That's my opinion as well, especially the "may be unnecessary."

I think part of the problem with big italicised headers is that they're usually too long, whereas italics work best with fewer words. I've been trying to use italics for random author quotes on my site, and because of the amount of text, I might just scrap the idea entirely. I may just use a smaller sans font.

Tiny italics are worse. <Shudder>
    Last edited by Arkham; Aug 23, 2002 at 11:42.