Greetings,

My company has millions of documents on a Windows 2003 Server and is currently indexing them with the good old Microsoft Index service. Yes, it is old but we hate Windows Search and rebuilding the server is pretty much out of the question.

I wrote up a classic ASP query page and threw a link on our SharePoint site so folks can easily retrieve whatever docs they want without having to remember titles back to 1979. Everything works properly but I'd like to give the users an idea of how many documents are being indexed by displaying it on the query home-page. The DLL that the query uses to do its thing (ixsso.dll) doesn't seem to have any methods that I can use to get what I'm looking for. I'm pretty confident that I can get what I want since just about anything that you can see in the MMC can be obtained by some form of script.

I've tried a couple of different things that provide the right count but are unacceptable for end users. For instance:

I implemented a "phantom query", if you will, that basically does a search for documents above 1byte - it find everything but it takes about 3 minutes to do the whole phantom query and the real query and then display the results.

That's not acceptable.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and has attempted to actually get a document count out of the Indexing Service catalog(s). I've been thinking about rewriting the whole thing in C# or VB or something but I'd rather work with what I've got first and rewrite as last ditch effort. I've been all over google but all that I've really come across is listing the size in bytes/megabytes and that gets me close but not where I want to be.

If anyone can provide some insight that would be swell.

Thanks,
Mike