SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hint mjames86 - One too many http's were used to link to the signature's website URL and just needs to be edited (your email link works fine!)

Check out SitePoint's Forum FAQs (link at top of page) where you will find tips about using the forum and also "What is UBB Code", which will give you information about how to use UBB when composing forum messages and signatures.

Everyone should frequently check out the Forum Guidelines and FAQs to keep up to date...any questions, always ask!

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

[This message has been edited by WebKat (edited July 18, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had a few. They were not run, and i contracted them by downloading them. I did not purposely do this, but I got them in some "Security" related articles which had virus prevention articles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like have no virus program running and I have never got any virusses on this computer. I don't open weird exe files, and office docs I didn't create that's all...

Christophe

------------------
    Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
    WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're running only Linux/FreeBSD or an other non-Windows OS or you are so 'lucky' to work on a Mac, then you're quite safe for viruses, 'cause the most viruses are written to work only on a Windows system. The fact that Windows 9x is very vulnerable to viruses helps too, of course.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet-engines

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows is no more vulnerable to viruses than any other Operating System. Any Operating System that writes to the disk (read all of them) is vulnerable.

90% of the viruses in the wild effect Windows OSes but put that up against the fact that 90% of the computers in the world run Windows OSes. If Macintosh had 90% of the market then the most viruses would be written for it. Same for Linux or any other operating system.

Viruses are usually written by vengeful programmers with a few problems with society. The larger your population of users the larger proportion of these individuals you will encounter.

Personally it is my opinion that anti-virus companies created and released quite a few viruses of their own in the late 80's and early 90's to increase paranoia and sales of their products.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is only two good ways to stop yourself from getting a virus and eliminating viruses

Zonealarm as the firewall that smokes it on contact and Norton Antivirus as the antibiotics for the virus.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.supernovanetworks.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:
    Windows is no more vulnerable to viruses than any other Operating System. Any Operating System that writes to the disk (read all of them) is vulnerable.

90% of the viruses in the wild effect Windows OSes but put that up against the fact that 90% of the computers in the world run Windows OSes. If Macintosh had 90% of the market then the most viruses would be written for it. Same for Linux or any other operating system.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's different from what me is told. Maybe it's the fact that I was referring to Win9x?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
    Personally it is my opinion that anti-virus companies created and released quite a few viruses of their own in the late 80's and early 90's to increase paranoia and sales of their products.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Serious? Well if it's true, it certainly has worked

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Elledan:
    That's different from what me is told. Maybe it's the fact that I was referring to Win9x?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people won't get that EVERY OS is volnerable to virusses. And that every OS has the same chance to be struck with a Virus.

Christophe

ps: hollanders zijn precies dan toch de dommere van de lage landen

------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not me who is stupid! I'm just saying what I've heard so many times before: "Windows is more vulnerable for viruses"

Nobody has ever told me something different, so that's why.
    Maybe it's just like that I thought that Win98 only supported 128 MB RAM since that was told me, too...

But it makes sense in some way: Windows 9x has more 'soft spots' where viruses can attack, while Linux, for example, is written without a million bugs, only a few hundred
    A Linux PC can even be used as firewall since it's extremely safe when you've set up Linux chains.

Or is this, too, 'false' information? I don't think so, but correct me if I'm wrong.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elledan you should not listen too much to people than. If everything would be right what ppl say we would now live on Mars eating giant apples desroying other planets population etc etc

You shouldn't be making conclusions before you have really experienced that Win is more vulnerable than others. And virusses do not use 'bugs' (oh man I'm going to be sick if I go on this way) to 'work'. As long as their are 'deleting' and 'renaming' features in any OS virusses will remain deleting and renaming files.

Christophe

ps: since the last weeks my systemp is running so smoothly. Not one real crash. Would this be the copy of IE5.5 I have installed? Probably therefore you should update your system regulary.

------------------

[This message has been edited by freesources (edited August 07, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the fact that you don't need a firewall in Linux say enough? Linux is secure, Win 9x is NOT secure as probably everyone knows and that should be enough to use it never for critical processes.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com
    Everyone has a destiny in life. Some just never reach it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, Windows is more suspectible to viruses then Mac or Linux. Linux doesn't have viruses because of strong permission controls: in order to spread it needs the permissions of root which are very difficult to get - Trojan horses infact are the closest form of virii for linux. (I think there has only been one or two viruses ever for linux - remember "the worm"?)

Macs on the other hand, are also very secure. It is very difficult to break into a Mac since the only services that can be shared are printers and network drives. There has been 20 or 30 viruses for Macs total. One in the last 2 years or so (it was a bug with the autorun with quicktime and cds.) Macs are also more difficult to program for: the saying goes that if you are good enough to write a virii for Macs, then you would be good enough to get a real job...

Windows on the other hand, has 10s of thousands of viruses. (Though most of them are Outlook/OE and IE vulnerbilities.) Windows is fairly easy to write viruses for thereby making anti-virus companies very happy. As long as you have a good anti-virus program and use common sense, you should be fine.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man that's crap... You don't need no expensive Antivirus crap that slows down your system to prevent your OS to get struck by a Virus. I turned of mine one year ago. Never got problems. Why:

- I NEVER open any .exe file that was sent to me

- I NEVER download stuff from http://geocities.com/etcetc or other sites which seem suspicious and don't have any contact names on them

- I have ActiveX components turned off in IE. why you need them anyway?

- I ONLY open Office files I created myself. When ppl send me text they HAVE to put it in .txt format.

That's about it... That saves you 100$ for a virus program.

Who needs Linux and Mac virusses anyway? They are already full of them. Yikes, did I hear some weird stuff happening on a Mac drive....

Christophe

------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the only virus you've got to worry about in Linux is a virus with root permissions... Not very likely thus

freesources: I haven't used a virusscanner for a long time until I got myself a copy of InnoculateIT and I've never had a virus. With virusses it's just like with Russian Roulette: Sometimes you're just lucky and else...

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com
    Everyone has a destiny in life. Some just never reach it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,

I also have PC-cillin 2000, its great. The one time I did download somthing with a virus it told me right awy befor I even opened it up. If it wasn't real time and automatic I would have been to lazy to scan it and my computer would have been gone. I forget what the virus was called but I looked it up in the program listing of viruses and it said that it delets haLF of all files that are acsesed!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

well ... I had CIH virus once , but I got rid of him using some CIH cleaner ... it was pretty fast ... sometimes I scan my hdds with AVP(www.avp.com) ... by the way , why don't anybody using it ? ... it's a great antivirus ... and as far as I know , it's most popular antivirus in Russia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may be referring to "KILL_CIH", a very tiny EXE program released by Norton AntiVirus...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer chris@mycoding.com
    MyCoding.com: Visit for Launch Notification!
    DomainMailings.com: Who Says All The Good Ones Are Taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk About Your Favorite Flicks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey

i had the back orifice trojan on my machine. i managed to catch it before any damage could be done.
    i think people who have the skill to write viruses and trojans are wasting their time. they should do something more useful.

- goter

http://www.tophatmonkey.gq.nu
    tophatmonkey@tophatmonkey.gq.nu