SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to start a thread to see who else here has had virus troubles...

- What virus did you have?
    - How do you think you got it?
    - How did you attempt to fix it?
    - What happened in the end?

I (over a year ago) was bitten hard by Chernobyl (sp?)...W95.CIH...nearly screwed up my computer, but I came out alright. No idea where it came from, probably some random forwarded joke email, or something along the lines.

The virus was apparently still on my system afterwards, but my computer still ran fine, and the virus was only set to operate each April 26th...

I recently tried to install a network card to connect to a cable modem, and the virus basically prevented us from getting anything to work properly. I backed up my infected data onto 3 zip disks, did a quick-restore with that handy little CD my computer came with, and tried installing some freeware version of Norton...it wouldn't run.

I quick-restored again and this time I bought Norton AntiVirus 6 online, downloaded it, and made a Resuce Disk Set. I tried to run a scan but could not...so I used the Disk Set and 3 and a half hours later, it had scanned through my hard drive and picked out the culprits...apparently the quick-restore doesn't wipe out all files.

I still can't run Norton's general system scan (an error about the NAV32.DLL file being moved or altered - or something like that), however my computer is on the network now and everything seems alright.

What a nightmare...it's so sad and pathetic (and maddening) that some people choose to use their skills in such an evil, destructive way...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    DomainMailings.com: Who says all the good names are taken?
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

[This message has been edited by TWTCommish (edited July 17, 2000).]

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once got a virus called Wazzu.X from a corrupted disk. I always scan the disks I have, but for some reason this virus got through.

It would replace random words in Word files with the name "Wazzu" so it was a real pain when I'd have to type out essays or other important papers.

But then it really got mad. Decided to rename every directory and file on my computer, delete all the master boot up files, and generally cause insurmountable havoc and destruction.

And I -COULDNT- get rid of it. Reformatting the hard drive didnt work, copying the files from a backup didn't work, norton antivirus or macaffee didnt work. So needless to say, a 12 GIG hard drive was now a big paperweight.

What a nightmare!

Sparkie

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got hit by the CIH virus also (same as Chris), but I didn't have as much luck. It reformatted my computer, so I had to start all over again. Pain in the butt. But at least it's gone. That's about the only big virus I've gotten...

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    WEB: http://www.j.cx
    EMAIL: justin@j.cx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that: how much did you lose? Everything? Anything that wasn't backed-up/restorable?

I stupidly used McAfee VirusScan to try to deal with the problem...I learned the hard way that Norton AntiVirus is the only quality program available...McAfee failed to clean even ONE infected file...Norton's record is perfect, it sucessfully cleaned every file it found to be infected...

------------------

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Chernobyl to, the nasty version that bites every month. Luckily it didn't get me, I got it first.

I have had various boot sector viruses, I had one which lead me to believe my hard disk was faulty, i got it in the end though - It was a pain because it infected files as they were executed and it got my virus scanner .exe which meant I couldn't run the virus scanner and every time i re-installed it is got it again.

I've only ever had 3 viruses in 4 years and 2 of them came from the net, and I never have a virus scanner running on my machine so I consider myself quite lucky.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services
    "Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film."

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I've been lucky: I've never had a virus, not even a small one (and I'm glad for it!). I agree with you, TWTCommish, creating a virus is just senseless, a waste of skills and time, but it are viruses who made MacAffee and Norton what they're now, so you won't hear them complain, except when they're 'hit' with a virus...

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I lost EVERYTHING. I typed dir in DOS right after I got hit, and it said something to the effect of "0 files found." I knew I was screwed at that point. I have no clue how I got it...

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    WEB: http://www.j.cx
    EMAIL: justin@j.cx

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got CIH too last year but nothing ever happened. Luckily I had Norton Antivirus so it booted up and said it found CIH and just clean the computer. Pretty handy, eh?

I recieved the ILoveYou virus and opened it but of course nothing happened, I was on Linux. It was fun scaring people around me, though

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never gotten a virus on my personal computer. At work is another story though. I have been hit with Word Document viruses numerous times and once the entire company I was working for at the time got the "monkey-b" virus or something similar. 3 servers and 96 workstations were lost. They implemented their first virus protection program shortly thereafter.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At home, I have never experienced a virus. My dad brought a disk for me to work on once, and it had a virus.

Even if I was hit by a virus, I would not be worried at all. I have all of my important stuff (about a gig or so) on 3 physical hard drives (on two seperate computers). And if it was a serious virus that physically broke my computer, I would not be upset. It might let my parents consider a new one, and I could really use that.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I use email only with my Mac, I'm usually fine. I've gotten a bunch but since there hasn't been a real mac virus since 1990, I'm fine.

Owen

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knock on cyber-wood but I have haven't had any type of virus on my PC (now that I have said this, a virus is slowly creeping through!)...I use another virus protector called PC-cillin 2000 and update the pattern# and scan frequently. I'm not about to chance having a virus hit me if I can do something about it...

I still know people that don't use any virus protector - they won't realize the importance of taking the time to install one AND updating it regularly until a virus penetrates their PC and they lose everything!

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

[This message has been edited by WebKat (edited July 18, 2000).]

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankfully I've never had a virus. Hopefully it will stay that way. Since I use my computer to run my business I try to be pretty careful, so I've got all of Mcafee's scans running, don't accept attachements unless I know exctly what they are, keep updated with MS's critical updates, get CERT's newsletter, etc. But is that enough. TWTCommish commented that Mcafee isn't that great. What other opinions on virus software are out there? I'm happy with Mcafee, but maybe it's the same as with the anti-tiger pills I've been taking (never had a tiger problem, but then I live in Northern Minnesota ).
    --Bill

------------------
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews
    Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    www.smokinbrews.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill,

I've only had problems with one virus, but McAfee could not seem to repair any of the files infected with that virus...I don't think of it as a conincidence.

Norton released a tiny program to disable the bug and was able to "clean" EVERY file it attempted to clean...no problems there. It wins some sort of software award virtually every year and is (from what I've seen everywhere) the most complete program of its kind, easily dominating the competition.

McAfee might be okay for some things, but if you're data is business related and important, Norton is the only way to go.

------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a virus... at least I don't think so, so that's a good thing. However, I have at problems in the past where I deleted some application the wrong way and it wouldn't let Windows startup - we ended up having to call support and it was a nightmare! Luckily, we finally got it work through safe mode.

My question is, how do so many people like you get these viruses? All you need to go by are three simple rules:

1.) Run Norton Antivirus 2000 and update it weekly.
    2.) Don't open attachments from anyone! (not counting graphic attachments, which are no harm)
    3.) Scan files you've just downloaded before you run them.

That's what I do and I've never gotten anything.

------------------
    Marc James
    Sports Central - All Sports, All The Time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could someone PLEASE tell me why my dang signature is messed up? It looks right to me...

------------------
    Marc James

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI: This forum can't format your email using UBB the same as it can with URLs to include your name/text, but...

At the top of your message are icons for your "Profile/Email/Edit/Reply with Quote" and you can (as many members do now) use the Email URL (or Profile URL if you prefer) to make a hyperlink...

Your Name

...and it will create a link to the page where it lists your email address (the same as if clicking on the icon).

Such as eMail WebKat

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

[This message has been edited by WebKat (edited July 18, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the time I got my computer virus, I had norton antivirus (always updated), AND McAfee Viruscan continuously running. Neither of them found the virus I got, so I "assumed" the disk was safe. Oops.

------------------
    Sparkie - SitePoint Moderator
    www.pawsitronic.com - The Site to Suit your Style!
    MSN IM: sparkiecat@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone heard of InoculateIT? It's a (free) virusscanner and it's comparable with Norton and MacAfee, at least that's what in the computer magazine stood that tested them.

Note: best cure for viruses who activate only on certain days: format your HD about each six months or so and triple-check the back-ups you've made of the files. It's not only good against viruses, but speeds up your PC if you're using Win9x.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparkie - Choose one anti-virus program and stick with it. Running two doesn't give you added protection and in fact can lower your protection to nothing as they conflict with each other trying to scan files.

I personally use Norton Anti-Virus now. Norton's software has definately improved since they were bought/merged with Symantec. They have some of the best utilities on the market. Their tight integration with each other is a big bonus. I currently use Norton System Works, Anti-Virus and Personal Firewall and they all behave as one seamless application.

I used to use McAfee but their software has only gotten worse since they were purchased by Computer Associates. The current version of McAfee is second rate at best and I wouldn't install it if they paid me two because it interferes with core Windows processes and slows down your computer. Want proof? Run ScanDisk with it running and you'll be lucky if it finishes.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:

I used to use McAfee but their software has only gotten worse since they were purchased by Computer Associates. The current version of McAfee is second rate at best and I wouldn't install it if they paid me two because it interferes with core Windows processes and slows down your computer. Want proof? Run ScanDisk with it running and you'll be lucky if it finishes.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember that... I once installed a try-out version of MacAfee (more than two years ago), after installing I had to reboot my computer. The first program immediately crashed, followed by windows (95)... In the safe mode I uninstalled MacAfee and the problem was solved. Since that dreadful experience I've never used anything with 'MacAfee' on it.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wluke: I only have one virus scanner program now and that's norton antivirus. It does everything I want it to, and has the best virus protection I've seen.

At the time I had two, I was mistakenly "informed" that it would boost my computer's virus scanning capabilities.

------------------
    Sparkie - SitePoint Moderator www.pawsitronic.com - The Site to Suit your Style!
    MSN IM: sparkiecat@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Sparkie (edited July 18, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it helps to have two (or more) virusscanners, but since the 'big ones' like Norton are so good, it's not really necessary to have multiple scanners running on your system.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I finally got my signature fixed, LOL. Good points, Wayne. McAfee VirusScan was on my computer when I bought it, but I recently decided to delete it and run Norton Antivirus. I've been VERY pleased with it thus far.

------------------
    Marc James

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    &lt;offtopic&gt;
    No, your sig still doesn't point to the right URL
    &lt;/offtopic&gt;

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.