SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver 3 experts, please help!

I just purchased and installed Dreamweaver 3 and I am going through the manual to learn how to use it. Currently I am in the "links and navigation" chapter.

I am at the part where it tells how to "create a link from a selection in an open document." It says to select text in the Document window, shift-drag from the selection (the point-to-file icon appears as you drag), and point to a document in the site window. But every time I select text or an image the site window minimizes! It's impossible! Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you
    Carolyn

PS: How would you point to "another open document"?

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you your site window open alongside your document window the you can simply drag (theres now shift involved as far as I can remember) across to that site window to one of the file icons. Its been a longtime since I used DW3 but I think thats how it works.

Unrelated but I do not think most people bother using that method anyway, much simpler (it sounds like it anyway) for you just to click the little folder icon and select the file manually.

Can I ask why you bought version 3 of the software? Not being funny, I just want to know if you realise there are versions 4 and now MX (5) that have superceeded that version.

Heres a small screen shot in version 4 (closest I have, sorry) to show you what I mean.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It still doesn't work for me. Every time I select, the site files window minimizes and every time I restore the site files then the selection deselects.

I bought an older version because its really all I can afford at the moment. I figure I'd learn on the older versions and, if I like them and am getting a lot of use out of them, then I'll buy the the more recent versions.

Carolyn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did finally make it work when dragging from the HTML source window (but still not from the document window) like you show in your screen capture.

Carolyn

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by leswhaley
    I did finally make it work when dragging from the HTML source window (but still not from the document window) like you show in your screen capture.

Carolyn
    Ah yes but my cursor is active in the source window at the time (dual view). However that shouldnt make a difference though. Stange.

Dan