User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link to skydiving!

Hi,

I own a commercial site and I want to add a link to a webpage at Mencaps site that enables people to do a commercial skydive (assisted) skydive for charity, but I am concerned that people may see it as a 'cheap trick' to use charity as a way on improving my image.

What do you think, would you be apprehensive or owuld you see it as something perfectly genuine.

I thought I would ask for some peoples opinions first.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I've seen a lot of sites that do this to help point something out or to raise awareness, etc etc. I don't see it as a "cheap trick" at all. Though it does depend how you use it, if you write in a way that makes it seem like you're writing it just so I feel impressed, well, that's not the way to go about it . But no, imo, I usually don't find it as a "cheap trick".

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your right about the explanation although I think its a good idea to keep it simple, how about this:

Skydive for Charity for Free.
    Help people with learning difficulties with a professionally assisted sponsored skydive.

The site itself has some info about altitudes but I dont think its appropriate for me to go into this area, do you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Corporate Responsibility" is a big part of business today as it always has been.

If you walk into nearly any store, there are usually many charity coin drops for things like the SPCA, Red Cross, orphanages, etc. I've never looked at it as a "cheep trick" and usually put the loose change I get (I don't like to jingle) into one of them. In fact there are many large companies that have made a name for themselves on the basis of their philanthropy like Ben & Jerry's, Wendy's and even McDonald's. Go for it, I'd say!

As for your description, there're too many "with"s and "for"s. ;-)

~~Ian

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks.

I had a link to charity on my previous design. I had links to all sorts of interests but they didn't suit the site but it would be nice to think I was helping a chartiy very effectively.

I'll go for it and closely gauge the responses I receive.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of Ben & Jerrys but what is Wendy's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wendy's is a fast-food restaurant (3rd largest in the US I think). There was a thread about the owner when he died somewhere in here, too.

Anyway, Dave Thomas was an orphaned child and a high school dropout (got his G.E.D. as an adult) and as such built much of his company on promoting adoption and education. :-)

And, McDonald's of course have the Ronald McDonald Houses for sick kids and their families.

~~Ian
    Last edited by Ian Glass; Aug 16, 2002 at 13:12.

<?php echo(witty title)?> Sal Petrarca's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me not like Wendy's.
    Geeks...Rock...Your...Box
    Sites:Dark Moon Rising:::My Site

You wanna' peice o' me! Automated's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why dont you say that a percentage of a sale (if you sell something) goes to mencaps?

This could not be interpreted as a cheap trick as you are actively donating to a charity.

Matthew Taylor
    FreelanceForums.com - Do you Freelance ?
    Visit the Freelance Forums and participate in all areas of Freelance Chat

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent idea.

Do you mean a pirticular item? Supermarkets usually do this with loo rolls. What percentage would say or an amout of money. I could fit underneath the DVD Front Runner.

"Buy our Pre-Release DVD Front Runner and 50p goes to Mencap"

Interms of the link to Mencaps sky diving fundraising exercise I have decided to create a page which lists the rest of their exercises, I was going to place one on each page but this didn't look right. Let me know what you think to both ideas.

http://www.shopperfect.co.uk/mencappage.html

Thanks so much.