SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are frames good or bad?

Hi,

I've always read that using frames in HTML/DHTML/XHTML and web design in general is bad practice and should be avoided. I've usually used the PHP template method to keep a menu bar and footer (i.e. include('header.inc')). But I've noticed that more and more sites are using frames for their layouts. These aren't small sites either but big sites with Flash and DHTML effects.

I was wondering what others had to say about this topic. Are frames a good thing? I admit that although I've made some pretty complex web sites using either Flash ActionScript, DHTML, PHP/MySQL or any combination of the three, I've never used frames .

The only appeal of frames, for me, is the use of the < iframe > for using JavaScript to communicate with the server without having to reload the page.

Opinions wanted
    The reward of a thing well done, is to have done it.

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    generally they are frowned upn but thats only cause no one uses them right. When used right, they aren't that bad.

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The iframe is becoming more and more popular. I personally wouldn't use one unless there was no other way at all, and even then it would only be with explicit agreement from the client having presented them with the issues that would arise from its use.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I wouldn't call them bad. Used properly they are fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation To do frames or not!

My humble meaning is that Frames is a old method there is badly out of fashion.

They are not as flexible as Tables are and one of the things I miss most with frames is the full URL in the adresse bar...

I can't stand when it's just show the same adress all the time - but that's just me...

Iframes is another topic... They can be quite smart - sometimes - but i'm trying to avoid them as good as i can - because I don't like that scrollbar ther is in the middle of the side...

But I most say: Some websites can be quite nice to look at if you can master frames accurately... but I like Tables most
    Best regards
    Emil aka Public2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the consensus is:
    Frames are fine if used correctly.

I tend to agree with TheOriginalH, that you should use Frames only when all else fails.

Public2:
    one of the things I miss most with frames is the full URL in the adresse bar...
    Yeah, I can't stand that either especially when you are dealing with large sites and you want to bookmark/link a specific section.

Thanks for your opinions
    The reward of a thing well done, is to have done it.

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remain fundamentally opposed to frames - they break the web. I don't like iframes either :P

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: To do frames or not!

Originally posted by Public2
    My humble meaning is that Frames is a old method there is badly out of fashion.

They are not as flexible as Tables are and one of the things I miss most with frames is the full URL in the adresse bar...

I can't stand when it's just show the same adress all the time - but that's just me...

Iframes is another topic... They can be quite smart - sometimes - but i'm trying to avoid them as good as i can - because I don't like that scrollbar ther is in the middle of the side...

But I most say: Some websites can be quite nice to look at if you can master frames accurately... but I like Tables most
    They have their uses. I used to be the same as Skunk, as i would never consider the option of using frames at all. That has now changed due to one project i am/will be working on in the future, as this will not only increase usability by using frames, it also allows us to over come other issues, which would make things extremely long winded to do other than using frames. Now I am still against using frames at the moment as i have never come across any other need to use them like i have now. So keep them as an option, and maybe you will find a need for them eventually.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um..

ok.

* i want a header, 795 wide and 25 high, with just flash in in it..

* i want a menu, 195 wide and 400 high, on the left side of the page with a flash menu in it - and i NEED it to remain on the screen at all times...

* finally i want a main section that is 600 wide and as high as the content needs it to be... it will contain all the content.. oh yeah, i also want only this section to scroll..

* the whole page is to be 795 wide and centered on all browsers..

how the hell do i do this without using frames? i make use of div and tables in all sections and and know css and div inside out.. my idea is that frames are the only way..
    Last edited by mattyg; Aug 23, 2002 at 23:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FRAMES ?? well frames aren't bad at all, unless used in the right way. i mean if the frames make the site design look good. then its excellent. For eg - checkout sparkie.net ( i think its offff now ).. but a beatuiful use of frames makes the site look good. but i still try to refrtain myslef from using frames. without frames, u can come up with better prospects !
    Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frames are great for creating dynamic Web site because you can store variables in one frame and update another frame. For example say you wanted to create an adventure game using HTML and JavaScript. You could store variables like health and gold in one frame. The actual game areas would be in html and would get updated from the main frame.
    Thomas Oeser - Blueprint Software
    Web Scripting Editor v 5.2 One cool Web editing tool.
    3dcomputergraphics.com Coming Soon!

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: um..

Originally posted by mattyg
    how the hell do i do this without using frames?
    Like this, baby. Like this:

http://www.intellected.org/temp/frames_suck.htm
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm

but what if i dont wanna have a set height?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: hmm

but what if i dont wanna have a set height?
    Eh, you said you wanted the main content area to scroll. It can not both be of dynamic height and scroll - that's a paradox.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um.

well what is the best sized width and height for such a "setup"? and can i align it to the top and horizontally centered on a page..

basically my version is frames based and the main section's height is determined by the user's screen resolution.. yes, the width is fixed, but obviously a 1024x768 user will see more content as opposed to an 800x600 display.

800x600

1024x768
    Last edited by mattyg; Aug 27, 2002 at 01:59.

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: um..

ok.

* i want a header, 795 wide and 25 high, with just flash in in it..

* i want a menu, 195 wide and 400 high, on the left side of the page with a flash menu in it - and i NEED it to remain on the screen at all times...

* finally i want a main section that is 600 wide and as high as the content needs it to be... it will contain all the content.. oh yeah, i also want only this section to scroll..

* the whole page is to be 795 wide and centered on all browsers..

how the hell do i do this without using frames? i make use of div and tables in all sections and and know css and div inside out.. my idea is that frames are the only way..
    read up on server side includes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: um.

well what is the best sized width and height for such a "setup"? and can i align it to the top and horizontally centered on a page..

basically my version is frames based and the main section's height is determined by the user's screen resolution.. yes, the width is fixed, but obviously a 1024x768 user will see more content as opposed to an 800x600 display.

800x600

1024x768
    So you want the height of the main section to be determined by the surfers resolution? That can all be done just as easily (and better) with CSS - just read up on it a little. There is absolutely no reason to do that using frames, besides your own laziness (which is the number 1 reason frames are used).

I personally just fix these kinds of sites at 760x420, so that they fit in a maximized 800x600 window.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one last question

ok.. so if i switch to using css. Wont each time i wanna go to a new page via the left side menu options.. the header and menu will also have to reload? this would mean that my flash header will have to reload.. sure, its already cached, but still.. wouldnt it make sense to just make the content frame load and leave the header and menu sections as they were?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IFrame is flexible.
    i like it
    GoSuRF WebBrowser (http://www.mmjd.com/gosurf)
    - Smart spam control
    - Magic mouse gestures

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: one last question

ok.. so if i switch to using css. Wont each time i wanna go to a new page via the left side menu options.. the header and menu will also have to reload? this would mean that my flash header will have to reload.. sure, its already cached, but still.. wouldnt it make sense to just make the content frame load and leave the header and menu sections as they were?
    good point actually

this is a common problem that seems to be cropping up - flash menus loading up etc

i will be designing a site in a month or so which will have a flash header and ill be in the same boat as you - hopefully frames arent the only soloution