User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who uses Linux?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think part of the problem with Windows is that third-party applications modify DLLs, change key registry entries and do other things that can potentially destroy a working system.
    If all of the third-party software companies cleaned up their act then Windows would not crash nearly as much. I am not saying Windows would never crash, but it would crash a lot less.
    That doesn't really apply to Linux because there are comparitively few software programs for Linux, and the fact that the programmers of Linux software really do know their stuff.
    People will now tell me that Linux is great because it has no DLLs, but apps could still modify other parts of Linux which could remove all stability from the system.

------------------
    James Ussher-Smith, jamesus@lineone.net
    640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually James is right Elledan.

Third party software does crash more often.

We shall see in 7 years from now how Linux will be... Than they will have to get backwards compability too. Users DEMAND it. A stupid example but anyway: PlayStation2 has much more success than DreamCast because it has backwards compability.

It's all just a matter of time, Elledan... Wluke also showed you that it was YOUR fault your Windows did crash so much...

Chhristophe

------------------
    Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
    WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    freesources: Backwards compatibility in Linux?!? For what? Linux has always been 32 bits so there's no reason it should have 16 bits code in it. Maybe you should read a good Linux book: it seems that your knowledge of Linux is unsufficient.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    http://emudreams.tsx.org

Everyone has a destiny in life. Some just never reach it

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as Windows was around before 32-bit technology was really possible/common, it had to start with 16-bit. Linux was lucky enough to be invented at a time when everybody had 32-bit processors, so the 16-bit support is not entirely the fault of Microsoft.
    Very soon, 16-bit support will be eliminated from the new versions of Windows (ie Windows Whistler) - that means no DOS prompt, no command.com, etc. Until that happens, Windows users have to put up with the occasional crash, many of them caused by either rogue applications or old 16-bit proprietry code.
    Already, Microsoft have improved the stability of Windows by a huge amount.
    I have had my Windows 2000 Pro machine running non-stop for nearly a month, and the server has been running for just over two months.
    So by the time Windows Whistler comes out, crashes should be nearly eliminated (until 3rd-party apps come and ruin it again).

------------------
    James Ussher-Smith, jamesus@lineone.net
    640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by java:

Im agree that one thing microsoft did real good is IE. Simply the best browser!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've to tell my brother: he isn't able to use this 'magnificient' piece of sof(t)ware. He has just got to start IE up and it crashes within half a minute (average between 5 and 10 seconds )

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    TriAxis (Still Alpha!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compared with Windows 9x, Win2k is almost as stable as Linux

I'd like to have Win2k on my PC too, if I had the money for it

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im using Slackware Linux 7.1, and also I have win98 on my other box. When you get into linux, you will understand its not just other winblowz, renamed, and has differ GUI. It's whole other system (other world lets say). That was one of my best computer days when i installed Slackware on my box. First I had dual boot, then I got new kick a$$ box (500Mhz, 256RAM, 32MbVRAM, 19"). So now my Slackware box rocking right here...yeah! I can feel it!!!
    Blah...it took me a while to configure it, reinstalled about 6 times. But now it ROCKS!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh forgot to say that LINUX DOES crash. Not like winblowz of course. but it does because of this application called Netscape!!! If you dont know, thats worst peace of software ever made. U must download/reinstall netscapa if u have fresh/clean linux box.
    Coz that what goes with linux (mostly) peace of junk!! Argghhh!!
    Im agree that one thing microsoft did real good is IE. Simply the best browser!