User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who uses Linux?

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by richjb:
    I know it is a little off topic, but I just have to comment, considering Owen's last post.

<OL TYPE=1><LI>Out Look Exress = Out House Express
    <LI> Microsoft = Microshaft or Microsucks ( http://microsucks.com )
    <LI> Netscape = Netscrape
    <LI> Network Solutions = Network Pollutions (I thought of this one myself )
    </OL>

Have any others??

Richard

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure!

Windows = Windoze or Winblows
    Internet Explorer = Internet Exploiter

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann
    http://www.icosmoss.com - The Open Source Community

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True scenario:

We have a computer with no current OS; windows boot disk, ect can't find CD-rom, says it does not exist (this seems to happen a lot when upgrading, ect). Yet, Linux finds CD-rom, and is able to use it. Interesting...

DIMA: Forgot the winblows one

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get rid of lilo type "fdisk /MBR" at the DOS prompt. Older versions of Linux (RH 6.1 for sure) had to be installed as the FIRST partition of your hard drive. (meaning incompatable with Win9x on the same hard drive.) This is well documented. It's a bug in lilo. It may run and boot but would be instable. Also, you don't need drivers for a network card. About 99.5% of them work without any special drivers (my linksys works fine...) Many businesses install linux over a network partition - boot up with a floppy and mount net drive and install from there. Sound drivers sure are underdeveloped - i couldn't get my sound blaster to work for a long time.

I do agree that Linux isn't ready for the mainstream - I find that it is a hit or miss type of OS. Either it works perfect or it hates you.

I find the main (only?) reason to run linux is if there is something in specific you need to do (Apache, firewall, etc.) I think Win is a better platform for day to day use, though Linux is gaining...

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by DIMA:
    On Windows you can almost run every game. But for serious working you better additionally install an OS.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You name ME one OS who has got support for all those graphic programs and HTML editors for Windows????

Oh man, warum müssen jetzt al die Leute aus den Länder rund mir andersdenkend sein... Ich glaub ich muss mal irgendwo anders hinziehen, wo die Leute noch nicht verführt werden dürch irgendwelche grüne Legoblöckchen (MAC) oder Blöde OS (Linux).

This was German and I would be happy to translate it. But because this was meant to Mattias I wrote it in German =)

Christophe

------------------
    Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
    WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by richjb:
    <OL TYPE=1><LI>Out Look Exress = Out House Express
    </OL>
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I thought it was LookOut! Express...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey ppl. OE is the only totally free email program with advanced features and graphical interface... If you're not happy go and buy you some expesive program or use crap like Netscape Messenger.

Christophe

------------------

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook seems to be ok (I would recommend it for many)...but your statement that there are no other good free programs is blatantly false. Pegasus Mail.

BTW, Microsoft Outlook Exress IS NOT FREE. It is bundled in the Office package, which costs quite a bit of money.

Most people don't need to do much, so they are ok with Windows; it does anything and everything they want to do. But, some people want more control, ect...

I'm still on a Windows machine at home, I don't need more power. Anything that I would want to do that consists of using "power" I do with my host and PERL.

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft Outlook EXPRESS is free and included in the download of Internet Explorer or as part of your Windows Installation disk.

Microsoft Outlook is part of Office Suite and the bigger of the two programs. You can also purchase is separately for about 80 dollars.

I am sure if you look you can find other free email programs of varying quality.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I came back to the forums I was thinking about that, and realized that I had Outlook Express and Outlook mixed up.

Yet, that does not change the fact that their are other good email checkers.

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never install OE; I use the mail client of Netscape, and I LIKE it. I've reduced the big pieces of MicroJunk software on my PC to Windows 98 and MediaPlayer 7 (which I'll uninstall today, 'cause it Sucks!) and those other standard Windows programs (That means IE too).

In Windoze 98 I get at least five errors a day (programs who tried to access kernel32.dll (no .dll file in sight with Linux) and more fancy things, with the regular BSOD and systemcrash). Linux is for me a way to calm down and regain my trust in my PC

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet-engines

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Owen:
    I got one for you: "The box said Windows 95 or better, so I got a Mac."

Owen
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I really needed. I've got this in the German translation: "Auf der Packung stand 'Windows 95 oder besser', da kaufte ich einen iMac."

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann http://www.icosmoss.com - The Open Source Community

[This message has been edited by DIMA (edited August 05, 2000).]

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Elledan:
    I would never install OE; I use the mail client of Netscape, and I LIKE it. I've reduced the big pieces of MicroJunk software on my PC to Windows 98 and MediaPlayer 7 (which I'll uninstall today, 'cause it Sucks!) and those other standard Windows programs (That means IE too).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, you can replace Media Player with QuickTime 4. Produced from a company i love: Apple

The next step would be to replace your windows with Mac OS or Linux

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very typical procedure of Windows; one more joke:

"Your mouse has moved. In order for the change to take effect, Windows must be restarted. Reboot now?"

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Elledan:

In Windoze 98 I get at least five errors a day (programs who tried to access kernel32.dll (no .dll file in sight with Linux) and more fancy things, with the regular BSOD and systemcrash). Linux is for me a way to calm down and regain my trust in my PC

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to say, but when you get the same error 5 times a day, and you still haven't asked what you could do to Microsoft Support you must be kindof stupid. And if you don't want to use Microsoft products uninstall Windows now directly and fiddle around with your Linux. See you in a month or two!

Christophe

ps: sorry but I had to say this. some people deserve this kind of texts in order to LEARN. I did this only for his best.

------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by freesources:
    Sorry to say, but when you get the same error 5 times a day, and you still haven't asked what you could do to Microsoft Support you must be kindof stupid. And if you don't want to use Microsoft products uninstall Windows now directly and fiddle around with your Linux. See you in a month or two!

Christophe

ps: sorry but I had to say this. some people deserve this kind of texts in order to LEARN. I did this only for his best.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd rather remove Windoze right now, but then I won't be able to use DreamWeaver, Paintshop Pro and all those other magnificient pieces of software
    And I HAVE asked Microsoft Support for help, but that didn't work. I've found out that the best solution for a problem with Windoze still consists out of the following steps:

1. Back up important files
    2. Format c:
    3. Reinstall the whole piece of junk and
    4. Everything works again (for a month of eight)

This method has never failed me

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chances are if you could post the message here, I cn tell you what the problem is and how to fix it. Microsoft's outsourced technical support is behind and pretty pathetic when they are caught up. This is the "Free support" you get. If you call Microsoft directly you get much better options. My guess is your installing updated software such as Windows Media Player, IE 5.01 and DirectX 7 but have not installed anything off of Windows Update on your machine in order to update the OS to handle them properly. All three of the features listed above are operating system level upgrades.

Or you could find out yourself with the built-in diagnostic utilities like Dr. Watson and Automatic Driver Skip Agent.

Be careful when you uninstall Windows Media Player and make sure to keep any codecs it installed or you won't be able to play MPEG compressed .WAV files. The media player is much more than an interface like Quicktime (on Windows), it updates your Sound Drivers and Codecs to make them more efficient otherwise Microsoft would sell it for $30-$50 bucks a copy just like Apple and RealMedia sell their simple players for.

------------------

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited August 05, 2000).]

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is far off-topic, but I want to know:

In this forums I always see string like: "your having trouble" or "theirs no way out". Is it grammatically correct? At school (German) I've learned these versions: "you're having trouble" and "there's no way out".

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, that is is absolutely NOT correct!
    That's why I recommended an automatic spelling check util for this forum

If you see such grammatical errors, just look where that guy/girl comes from and you'll see that they come from non-English countries 80% (or more) of the time. But even those guys who DO speak English as their primairy language make HUGE errors

Just for the record: English is a secundairy language for me. My primairy language is Dutch and I speak/write proper English for almost two years. Last note: I'm terrible in German and even worse in French so I'm glad this forum is in English.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:
    Chances are if you could post the message here, I cn tell you what the problem is and how to fix it. Microsoft's outsourced technical support is behind and pretty pathetic when they are caught up. This is the "Free support" you get. If you call Microsoft directly you get much better options. My guess is your installing updated software such as Windows Media Player, IE 5.01 and DirectX 7 but have not installed anything off of Windows Update on your machine in order to update the OS to handle them properly. All three of the features listed above are operating system level upgrades.

Or you could find out yourself with the built-in diagnostic utilities like Dr. Watson and Automatic Driver Skip Agent.

Be careful when you uninstall Windows Media Player and make sure to keep any codecs it installed or you won't be able to play MPEG compressed .WAV files. The media player is much more than an interface like Quicktime (on Windows), it updates your Sound Drivers and Codecs to make them more efficient otherwise Microsoft would sell it for $30-$50 bucks a copy just like Apple and RealMedia sell their simple players for.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My system is ALWAYS up-to-date with the latest drivers and such things (exceptions occur ), so that can't be the problem.

BTW Before I saw your post I removed MP 7 and I only removed the player and NOT the other stuff (Heh, I may look/talk stupid, but that doesn't mean I AM stupid ).

Next time Windoze gets problems, I'll post them here, ok?

Good night, I'm going to bed now... *jaws*

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elledan, I thought you UNINSTAL Windows? Proove us YOU can live without it. Uninstall it today, plz.....

Christophe

ps: Elledan you go sleep at 12PM? It's 3AM here now...

------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to use a dedicated Linux PC, but I must get the money first to buy a new one...

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm... I thought Linux was a free toy you get if you buy 2 packets of Pepsi Cola in your local grocery store, which breaks just after when you arrived home

Christophe

------------------

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much approx. would it cost to setup ones own server? Linux is "freeware" but the hardware etc. all the other server software.

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann

Need some source code?
    icosmoss.com - The Open Source Community

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends.
    All depends on the hardware and such. The most notable server hardware provider I could give you would be: http://www.Sgi.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have an old Pentium or 486 laying in the closest somewhere? Do you know someone that does? If so that is all the hardware you need to run Linux at the command line level which is how you would use it for a webserver.

You could buy one of those $500 dollar bargain systems without a monitor, get a Belkin OmniPort switch ($80 bucks) so you can share the monitor, keyboard and mouse among the two computers and have a decent Linux Setup for less than $600 bucks.

Now if you truly want a server then you can get server quality hardware from IBM, DELL or Compaq that starts around $2000 dollars a machine but increases with your options. At work I have two servers on my desk. One is an IBM Netfinity with a 650MHZ P-III, 384 Megs of 133 Mhz Ram, 30 gigabytes of Harddisk on two SCSI drives. It cost approximately $5000. The second is an IBM Netfinity with DUAL 650 MHZ P-III, 640 Megabytes of 133 Mhz RAM, and 100 gigabytes of diskspace in a 4 disk SCSI RAID-5 array. It cost approximately $20,000 dollars.

Compare this to my two workstations at work. One is an IBM with a 500 Mhz P-III and 128 MB 133 Mhz Ram, it costs $50.00 per month under a lease. The second is a Compaq Prolinea with a 400 Mhz P-III with 128 MB 100 Mhz Ram and cost the company $1800 dollars.

------------------