User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who uses Linux?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to use Linux, but without much success. I have SuSe loaded on my P90 but it won't boot. Right now I don't have time to fix it but I might try soon.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who uses Linux reguarly? If so, for what?

I'm using Linux quite reguarly now, but I'm most of the time working on configuring the system (seeking drivers, installing them and more fun) so I'd like to know were others use their completely configured Linux system for.

Freesources: you don't have to react. We all know that you'll rather 'tame' Win98

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet-engines

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Linus installed on my old P166 and I use it as a web server to practice PHP etc.

------------------
    www.gib-online.com
    The Rock of Gibraltar on the WEB
    www.urban-studios.com
    ...for all your IT solutions

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Windows 95 half the time and RedHat 6.1 the other half of the time...

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    WEB: http://www.j.cx
    EMAIL: justin@j.cx

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got it on CD and am really waiting for some free time so that I can install it and work with it.

I guess I'm a Linux wanna be.

Maybe next month I'll be an official 'user'

John
    :P

------------------
    interwovendesign.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by johnnyboy:
    I've got it on CD and am really waiting for some free time so that I can install it and work with it.

I guess I'm a Linux wanna be.

Maybe next month I'll be an official 'user'

John
    :P
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe... That's not the spirit! Who wants to use Linux isn't a 'maybe'-guy, but really does it. And remember that using Linux isn't as soft and cozy as using Windows! You understand, soldier?

Anyway, you must have some characteristic features of a Computer Nerd, else you won't come far. The average Windows user doesn't even know were to think about when he hears the word 'compiling'.

The Ultimate Triomph: A Linux system up and running within a day and it keeps running for more than a year without rebooting (this is possible and not just in theory as with NT )

Greetings,

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rather enthusiastically installed Red Hat to Dual Boot on my IBM P133 laptop, and had it running briefly... but then it stopped working

Its been months, and I've never taken the time to figure out whats wrong. Now, every time I start up my computer, i have to type "dos" at the LILO prompt.

Maybe I'll get serious about it someday again... Although, I'm also excited to see Mac OS X

------------------
    Visit the Sitepoint Chat!
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/chat.php3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never used linux.

At home I run windows 98, but I might do a dual boot soon with redhat if my school has another linux install party.

For hosting I always prefer FreeBSD.

I have also used aix and HP-UX.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW I'm using OSL2000 as bootmanager (Free program, can be found at CNet) and it never fails me. I like it more than LILO, though.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well, elledan, I'll post anyway...

I never used a Linux, but I only read bad things about them... And I don't see the need to change of OS. My Win98 is doing perfect. Maybe the upgrade to WinME YES but Linux or Macintosh NO!! It's like saying: let's go back into time and let's never come back.

Christophe

------------------
    http://freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam - I used to have dual boot and it caused endless amounts of problems, You are better off with a dedicated Linux machine.

------------------
    www.gib-online.com
    The Rock of Gibraltar on the WEB
    www.urban-studios.com
    ...for all your IT solutions

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A firend and I put Linux on a Celeron 466, but because the graphics card was built on the mother board, we never got the resolution and display to show in a reasonable style. Since then, I currently use it as a security feature to protect my computer from the dean, and other students...

(Can't remember if it was Caldera, Mandrake, or Redhate that is currently on it, we installed all of them at once.)

Some day I would like to have a different computer for linux.

Also, I would NEVER host on anything that isn't Linux based with Apache.

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Linux for work, programming, solitare , etc. I run Windows most of the time because it is frankly less work and I like MS Word.

freesources &gt; Linux is light-years ahead of Windows. windows (not including NT and 2000) is simply a graphical interface on top of DOS (from when? 1980s) Windows 95 is simply a bunch of additions to Win 3.1. Same with 95 to 98. Linux is the future: it is much more advanced (but harder to use) then Windows. Those "other" OSs certainly are NOT a step back in time, but a glimpse into the future.

Shoot. Outlook Express crashed. I guess I'm going to have to reboot Windoze.

Owen

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it is a little off topic, but I just have to comment, considering Owen's last post.

<OL TYPE=1><LI>Out Look Exress = Out House Express
    <LI> Microsoft = Microshaft or Microsucks ( http://microsucks.com )
    <LI> Netscape = Netscrape
    <LI> Network Solutions = Network Pollutions (I thought of this one myself )
    </OL>

Have any others??

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost had to use Linux at work but the Data Architects who evaluated it determined it wasn't good enough for "Critical Data". This means our production database has to be up 365 days a year, 24 hours a day from now until the end of time. They chose AIX for our Data Servers instead because it supports the redundancy we need, runs on existing equipment so we aren't limited to X86 machines, is very easy to use within an Oracle and NT environment and probably the most important comes with regular upgrades and service/support.

I was thinking of installing Linux on a machine at home but lately I have been leaning towards using FreeBSD or Sun Solaris as my foray into the home Unix environment. Namely because I can use skills I teach myself in running them to get paid contracts far easier than learning the ins and outs of Linux.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unix does seem to take awhile to boot on the O2s we have here but uptime is measured in months/years. At least the system installation is fairly painless.

I can reinstall linux using quickstart (its a prewritten script which installs and configures all the software) in 10 minutes. This includes boot time. So a user screws up a linux computer. You boot with the kickstart floppy, drink some coffee, an in 10 minutes you're up and running with whatever software you told quickstart to install and configure. I wanna see that on Windows (in 10 minutes or less.) (Note: this was done on standardizd computers all with the same parts, so I don't think it would work as well with normal computers.)

I got one for you: "The box said Windows 95 or better, so I got a Mac."

Owen

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Hypertrophy:
    Here's my beef with Linux: it is too damn static.

However, if I, persay, had an SGi Octane 2 [yeeeah, like I'll get enough] and I installed NT onto it, I'd have to go through about a half an hour switching between the two systems.
    [Also, before you start, yes, I know that the SGi Octane 2 comes with Unix installed. However, it was just an example.]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Owen (edited August 04, 2000).]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
    Wluke - I wish you knew what you were talking about before you bash linux. Almost everything you said is wrong. (I do agree about it not being mainstream.)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can only go by my own experiences. I tried to install RedHat Linux 6.1 on my personal machine. Nothing fancy in it. S3 Video (3 years old), ATAPI CD-ROM, Basic OEM Sound, Linksys Ethernet Card, EFA motherboard, Intel Processor, UDMA/66 Harddrive, Canon Printer, Zoom Hardware based Modem, 128 Megs Ram.
    I was working towards a dual boot system. Everything was partitioned nicely (4 gigabytes for Redhat, 1 gig Swap, 13 Gigs for Windows). Figured I didn't need much space, only wanted the OS, a window manager, and Netscape on it to start, maybe Apache in the future.

The install seemed to go fine as far as user feedback went. Until I rebooted. At first nothing happened so I went back to the install document and was able to get it to boot in a few minutes. Once it booted, there was no drivers for anything, KDE wouldn't load because the video card was in 16-color mode. No Sound. No modem. No Ethernet.

Now I can understand about the soundcard as I haven't been able to determine who the manufacturer is but it works great with default drivers from Crystal. But Zoom is one of the most upstanding and long lived modem manufacturers that I was surprised to find no modem drivers for it. Again with Linksys, I found the drivers but had to compile them and reboot to get them to run, definately not plug and play. Maybe its an isolated incident but it sure caused a lot of trouble for me and required a full install of the machine to fully get rid of LILO in the long run. This is why I won't touch Linux until I can dedicated a machine specifically for it. Its in a waiting list behind a new PC for my fiance and a dedicated PC for my children and probably my wedding.

I do have experience with it and was speaking from experience. If there is plug and play I never saw it while Windows98 recognizes every device in my PC including my Soundcard (installing the generic drivers though).

If anyone wants a Linux disc to play around with, they can email me, I have about 6 or 7 laying around that I had purchased from LinuxMall.com for a buck a piece.

------------------

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Linux close to 5 years now. The last 3 years I have used Linux almost exclusively. I do have Win95 on my computer, but I only use it for testing my web pages. And I don't even have to leave Linux to use it. There is a neat program, called VMware, that enables you to use Windows on Linux (or vice versa). So, I use Linux for everything (mainly for web developing, graphics, email, and web browsing).

------------------
    Antti
    Huotari.com/antti/
    LinuxWebDevNews.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh crap.. if that's the future I really don't want to live long... Without Windows nobody would be able to post comments here at this date because computers would have been something for the rich dudes.

And your Outlook Express crashed? HOW DO YOU GUYS DO THAT??? I have tried and it hasn't crashed in about 1 year... And that was just a small freeze.

Linux are good as web server, but I don't think it is easy enough - and by that I mean when there is only a small problem it is difficult to fix, unlike with Windows - and don't have enough programs supporting it yet to make it the best OS for home users. (Face it in 3 years Microsoft will probably make something with WIndows2000 for home users and if Linux doesn't change some things fast, they will fail)

Christophe

------------------
    http://freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freesources: Save your breath, 'cause the Open Windows projecting is running right now. This will produce a 100% Windows compatible OS WITHOUT any of the crappy code and a 'fresh' kernel. It seems very promising right now, so you could take a look at their site:
    http://openwindows.sourceforge.net/

Windows withouth Microsoft... Sounds like Heaven!

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of the release of Windows ME, legacy code will removed from Windows consumer versions. This means no "MS-DOS Mode", though it will still have a 32-bit command line utility. So the old and incorrect argument that Windows 9X is just a program on top of DOS will be further invalidated.

In October, Microsoft will release the first beta of Whistler. This OS is a complete merging of the two Windows Families based upon an improved Win2K kernal. It will support the devices and games home users need as well as have the stability and functionality that business users need. I personally am seriously thinking about skipping Windows ME and getting ahold of a beta copy of Whistler instead.

Linux is at least 2 years away from being capable of handling mainstream usage, considering out of the multi-billion dollar software market, approximately 60% of that is games for the Windows family of OSes. In order to capture that on Linux they need the same capabilities such as Plug and Play, Disc Autorun, Easy installation and removal routines and commercially packaged software (by which I mean pre-compiled with a setup program, installation manual and organized support). Until that happens it will remain a niche operating system.

------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did I crash OE? I opened it on my clean install of Win98.

Linux is not quite mainstream yet, but is getting pretty close. Real, old-fashioned, UNIX is what people use for 100% reliability. UNIX is still around and is very popular (and is more reasonable then what you might believe.)

freeresources &gt; Apple and Macs came before PCs really hit it off (certainly before they were reasonable.) I'll agree with you that Windows is a great beginner OS.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:
    As of the release of Windows ME, legacy code will removed from Windows consumer versions. This means no "MS-DOS Mode", though it will still have a 32-bit command line utility. So the old and incorrect argument that Windows 9X is just a program on top of DOS will be further invalidated.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. That's why I said 95/98, not ME and 2000.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Linux is at least 2 years away from being capable of handling mainstream usage, considering out of the multi-billion dollar software market, approximately 60% of that is games for the Windows family of OSes. In order to capture that on Linux they need the same capabilities such as Plug and Play, Disc Autorun, Easy installation and removal routines and commercially packaged software (by which I mean pre-compiled with a setup program, installation manual and organized support). Until that happens it will remain a niche operating system.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Plug in play exists for RedHat and SuSe (I know - it autodetected my new graphic card and changed the drivers.) Auto run has been in linux for 3 or 4 years. Easy install &gt; MUCH easier than windows. Simply run GnoRPM, select packages (open source, commercial, and free/shareware) from a list (a couple 1000 are listed by category: games, word processors, etc), click select, select any other progs you want, click install. The programs will be installed, configed, and activated with no further effort on your part. And no rebooting either. To install word perfect for linux you just download, unzip, and type install.sh and a graphical interface is presented. (the same as windows.)

Wluke - I wish you knew what you were talking about before you bash linux. Almost everything you said is wrong. (I do agree about it not being mainstream.)

Owen

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my beef with Linux: it is too damn static.

I run BeOS on my SGi 550 as a partner OS for Windows NT, and I can slip back and forth through the two OS's seamlessly.

However, if I, persay, had an SGi Octane 2 [yeeeah, like I'll get enough] and I installed NT onto it, I'd have to go through about a half an hour switching between the two systems.
    [Also, before you start, yes, I know that the SGi Octane 2 comes with Unix installed. However, it was just an example.]

Time is money, and I just don't have that kind of time.

[This message has been edited by Hypertrophy (edited August 04, 2000).]

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't 'tame' Windows. I'm a very proud Macintosh user and maybe one day when I earn enough money with my site I want to buy my own server, running Linux of course. But at the moment I'm awaiting Mac OS X. I've the Pre4 of OS X and it's still quite buggy.

I can only tell you one thing, Windows users, who even don't like the Mac. The following sentence is what I received in an email some time ago:

Windows is not the answer, it's the question and the answer is NO!!!

One more? Ok, here it comes:

On Windows you can almost run every game. But for serious working you better additionally install an OS.

LOL, ROTFL Haaaahahhaaaaa! I love these two quotations. =) :O :P

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann http://www.icosmoss.com - The Open Source Community

[This message has been edited by DIMA (edited August 04, 2000).]

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just can't help myself, here is one more:

VirusScan has detected Windows 2000
    (A)bort, (D)elete, (F)ormat C:?