SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, its been a long day, and I couldn't think of a better way to describe it in the subject line

I see it all over, it is probably easy, but I don't know how to do it:

If a web visitor types in your domain, typically the index file in the main directory is displayed.... instead, how do you get the message board in your cgi-bin to display?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd suggest useing a meta refresh tag, or a better option would be to do a redirect command in the .htaccess file.

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com
    Personal Site

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which of those two options do you think would fair better with search engines?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    name it index.cgi

This has to do with server settings and the server should default to serving any page named index.* If it doesn't contact your hosting company and ask them to do this for you.

Do not use a metarefresh, search engines hate that.

Chris

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Do not use a metarefresh, search engines hate that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks, thats what I thought.

Are you suggesting however, that I rename the main ubb script to "index.cgi"? Seems that would be really time consuming to catch all the references in every script, thus, kind of risky when I want to launch the site in just a couple days.

Maybe I would be better off with an index.html page that has a "Click to enter the forums" link. That is an annoyance to many visitors I am sure though, since the forums themselves are to be the main content of the site.

P.S.- Are there any downsides as far as Search Engines are concerned if using the htaccess method?

[This message has been edited by Ted (edited August 12, 2000).]

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know about the internal ubb stuff, I only know that if you want it to access the a script by default then rename it index.cgi

On a side note any file can be configured to be served as the default page. On alot of NT systems default.asp is served rather than an index page.

So ask your hosting company about changing the default to whatever the ubb script is named.

Chris