SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 56K modem and usually connect at 28800 bps or even as bad as 21600 bps. My ISP, Dellnet (who I have been thrilled with in every regard except connection speed) tells me that my connect speeds are "typical".

My cable company doesn't offer cable modems.

I am 60 feet too far from the "central station" for DSL service. (That has been confirmed with several providers.)

What can I do?? Cost is a factor and cannot pay alot.

Although my neighborhood is heavily wooded, some people have managed to get a clear shot through the trees for satellite TV... isn't there an internet satellite option?

Any suggestions to solve my terrible connect speed would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MMM.. I guess you're one of the less lucky pppl... I in contraire here in Belgium have good luck with all the providers. 56kb is the standard even with all free ones. There's cheap and fast cable access, DSL access and sattelite.

I think sattelite does look promissing now they added a two way system to astra for internet which should be 4x as fast as cable or dsl.

Christophe

------------------
    Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
    WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not alone...! Another one at the mercy of slow speed internet connections!

I was so excited when I first got a 56k modem but found out I could only connect at 26.4 because my phone company (no names) says there are 'bad lines' and there is nothing they can do. Of course every problem we have with our ISP is due to 'bad lines' - common sense would say for them to fix them, but that is not in their picture...Often when I connect it is only 19k so I have to disconnect and then reconnect so that I can get my max of 26.4k!

I can't have DSL in my area, but my Cable company will be offering cable in a few weeks. It is double what I pay but since we have two lines, we will keep one line and sign up for cable. Should be about the same price...

I have tried everything to increase my internet connection, including various programs 'promising' to increase my speed. Even IE 5.5 didn't speed up opening website pages!

Even my college connection is 26.4 because it goes through the telephone line - so I have no alternatives. It was wait for DSL or cable - and cable came first.

I wish I had a magic answer, but as you can't have DSL or cable you may just be stuck!

Those that have fast connections give thanks every day when you go online, for there are many of us that don't have the connection speed that you take for granted!

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Direct TV offers Internet Access over their 18 inch dishes. Not sure of the costs involved but the system runs about $79 dollars. You should be able to find out more on their website. The download speed is 400 KBPS and the upload speed is limited to your modem (no two-way dishes are planned).

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:
    Direct TV offers Internet Access over their 18 inch dishes. Not sure of the costs involved but the system runs about $79 dollars. You should be able to find out more on their website. The download speed is 400 KBPS and the upload speed is limited to your modem (no two-way dishes are planned).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WLUKE, I recently saw in a magazine that Astra launched a new sattelite (but it has to be a big one to get highest speeds) which allows 400kbs uploading and 3000 kbs downloading (UNLIMITED). All YOU need to biuy is a dish and some special modem and a ISP which will only cost 15$/month.

Christophe

------------------
    Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
    WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There must be more to it than $15 a month...can it really be cheaper than, say, a plain old Earthlink account?

I'd wait it out a tad longer on the cable modem; expansion seems to be moving rapidly.

Also, I've used/use both DSL and Cable, and I can say that downloading webpages is nearly identical between them...very small differences. The only time you notice it is when you're downloading a large file...in fact, 56K is a fairly minor step down from DSL assuming you're just a normal surfer...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer – chris@mycoding.com
    MyCoding.com: Visit for Launch Notification!
    DomainMailings.com: Who Says All The Good Ones Are Taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk About Your Favorite Flicks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does it have to cost more than $15.00 a month Chris? Cable bandwidth is costly because of the infrastructure involved.

Radio bandwidth is free. Especially if they use RF, VHF or UHF frequencies. Right now we have satellites in orbit with hundreds of channels of extra capacity. If your television was digital the bandwidth required for each second of video would be 451,584,000 bits (640px * 492 lines * 24 bit color) just for the video. Yes that is approximately 450 megabits per second per channel. Now overlay stereo sound and blanking intervals and your probably close 1 gigabyte a second.

Now television satellites have the broadcast capability for 500+ stations, If they are using 250 of those stations then they have the bandwidth of 250 stations just doing nothing. That is 112,896 megabits or 112+ gigabits of bandwidth per second doing nothing. That is without compression. If you can compress the data using simple LZW compression you can get close to the terrabyte range in bandwidth.

This is only the television satellites and doesn't take into account communications satellites owned by AT&T, MCI, Sprint and other companies. Those satellites have at least twice the bandwidth available. Add to this the fact that Microsoft is partnering with other companies like Hughes (owner of DirectTV) and EchoStar (DishNetwork) to build and launch multi-billion dollar satellites expressly for data communications ala the TCP/IP protocol. Echostar is developing a satellite driven Internet system that will start at 30 Megabites per second or almost 4 times the max bandwidth of a cable modem.

$15.00 a month per subscriber is a lot more than what cable channels receive which runs between $.08 and $1.20 per subscriber depending on the channel. With that you get 100% coverage of the North American Continent, almost no infrastructure costs and access to hundreds of millions of potential subscribers because the same services could be routed through the systems of smaller cable companies who can't afford the infrastructure costs of installing their own servers and modems.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited August 06, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ted, I know how you feel! I myself had a cable modem last year when I lived in Ohio. It was pretty good, nothing special, though. Then, I had to move to New Jersey about 11 months ago and DSL/cable access wasn't available in my area. So, I am currently stuck with a 56K connection that connects at 24.6 and 28.8, at max. Luckily, DSL suppossidly will be coming in September, but I'm unsure of the providor and my location. Oh well... I'll live.

------------------
    Marc James
    Sports Central - All Sports, All The Time!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 56K modem connects at 26400 all the time too. What's worse is that there is Cable Access in my area, but my parents won't let me get it becuase "$38 a month is too much to pay for whatever that is".

ugh!

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to directtv.com (Wayne suggested direct tv) and didn't see anything about satelite... so I let the issue die for a while. Then I visited a friend in rural NY farmland, and he had satelite access. He convinced me to try it and referred me to directpc.com... and I became dis-appointed to learn that you still had to use your phone lines for upload. (I never thought about but it makes sense.) So, dis-appointed again, I stalled on my quest for a faster connection.

Then, the same friend gave me a call this past weekend. He just heard that Radio Shack is coming out soon with a 2-way satelite system.... upload and download.... FAST connection, just slightly more expensive than the one-way satelite systems. I ran down to R.S. right away, and confirmed this. The manager had just come out of a meeting in which this new product was discussed. They are coming out with a two-way satelite, and they are estimating that it will be in their stores before the coming holidays. They will have more info in their stores later in October. This looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't "have" to...just shocks me that a high-speed connection would cost less per month than a plain old dial-up ISP...better things usually cost significantly more.

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about SkyDSL? I don't know if it's offered in your area...

It's satellite based and all you'll have to do is installing that satellite [plate]...; I don't know how it's called in english, I looked it up but didn't find the word ... in German it's Satellitenschüssel

Whatever..., beneath you insert a PCI card and you should be connected. And it's even faster than the regular DSL speeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try http://www.tigertom.com/modem.htm for some tweaks.
    It's a bit out of date now (most tips are for Win95), but you might get some ideas.

TigerTom
    http://www.tigertom.com/personal-development.shtml -
    powah to da peepul!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm connected at 115,200 bps whatever the hell that means.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It means you don't have the right drivers for your
    modem. Not a catastrophe, but it fools some newbies
    into thinking they're on ISDN (until they try to download something )

http://www.tigertom.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DIMA
    It's satellite based and all you'll have to do is installing that satellite [plate]...; I don't know how it's called in english, I looked it up but didn't find the word ... in German it's Satellitenschüssel
    speeds
    Sattelite dish

Christophe

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Ted
    I went to directtv.com (Wayne suggested direct tv) and didn't see anything about satelite.
    I believe the address is with only one T. http://www.direcTV.com

They are just about the only guys who are a satalite-based ISP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by abahta
    Originally posted by Ted
    I went to directtv.com (Wayne suggested direct tv) and didn't see anything about satelite.
    I believe the address is with only one T. http://www.direcTV.com

They are just about the only guys who are a satalite-based ISP.
    It's http://www.directpc.com .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its the same company.... You would think they would cross promote their products. It uses the same satellites, same dish. The only difference is the receivers.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few months ago I posted this: http://www.msnbc.com/news/451080.asp?0nm=T11N

Two way satallite communication for roughly the cost of DSL.

It's all good.
    Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While satalites can offer losts of banwidth the latency is just horrible. Think about it. That satellite is a long way away - geosynchronous orbit is 22,236 miles up - and your packets have to go up to the satillite and back down to the ground station - thats 44,472 miles one-way. The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, so in optimal conditions, you're looking at almost 500 milliseconds for a ping to your ISP.

Fine for downloading big files, but **** if you want to play Quake3.

I think I'll stick with my load-balanced adsl/cable modem.

[Edited by jamesglewisf on 11-15-2000 at 06:26 PM]

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While satalites can offer losts of banwidth the latency is just horrible. Think about it. That satellite is a long way away - geosynchronous orbit is 22,236 miles up - and your packets have to go up to the satillite and back down to the ground station - thats 44,472 miles one-way. The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, so in optimal conditions, you're looking at almost 500 milliseconds for a ping to your ISP.

Fine for downloading big files, but **** if you want to play Quake3.
    Interesting point. Strange though, that my friend that has the direcPC satelite connection plays on-line action games often and successfully, and even speaks on a headset with game partners while he is doing it. He never mentioned that being a problem.

[Edited by jamesglewisf on 11-15-2000 at 06:29 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard or read anything about a latency issue with satelite connections. Satelite sounds like your best option.

Wait a minute! I've thought of another solution. Have you considered moving? I'll admit that it is a little bit more expensive than a satelite hookup, but it could work. You wouldn't have to move far, just about 61 feet. Just make sure that you move 61 feet in the right direction.

Isn't it weird that in our high tech world, 60 feet can separate you from the latest technology? I wanted DSL too, but got the same answer. It's pretty frustrating.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using satellite, you download information through the satellite and upload through a 33.6k connection. I am not sure if this is correct, but I think it is because satellites are one-way only. So you won't upload any faster, and playing quake III would be about the same as dialup.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My terrible internet connection is no more. Two weeks ago, while lamenting about the 2-way satelite costing $100 per month, I received notification that cable modem service was now available, and for $30 per month. I got it going today and surfing the web is now a completely different experience compared to dial-up. Oh happy day