SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have got to get a screensaver like that!

My 486 is surprisingly stable, it hasn't crashed once ever. If it was faster, I'd really like it.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you add up the years it would come out to a large number. How many people used just Windows 3.1 without DOS? None. So if you used Windows 3.1 for 4 years, you would have used DOS for 4 years.

I currently use Windows NT4.0, Windows 95 (2 computers at my desk, PCAnywhere connections to 6 more) and AIX (in the network room. Telnet connection mostly) at work and Windows 98 at home. If this goes on for a year I can only claim one of these operating systems? No that would be like only being able to claim one friend at a time.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited July 06, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still use most of the operating systems I stated above: Windows NT in school (soon to be W2000); Win98 on my main computer; Debian and Win2000 as 'experiments' on my main computer; Win3.1 when I'm helping my mum and sis; Win95 on my 9 yr old Dell and on my cousin's puter; and Mac OS when I go to my dad's house and help him out.

And I've just had a great idea... my school will now have a redundant copy of OS/2 (they ran it on the server of the old network) so I could nab that off them when I go back in September. I've already got two of their old RM machines! Boy, this is great

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is using Linux here for some time? I would love to know whether it CAN crash, I couldn't do this on my computer, in contrary to Win98 that crashes at least once a day.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by freesources:

And Elledan...you seem always the have the opposite opinion as mine... Why do you say Windows is unstable? Cause you couldn't tame Windows? Because weren't able to make it that it wouldn't crash? Or do you except a computer to run from 7 o'clock in the morning to 12PM night without a reboot (but not a forced one).

Christophe
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Christophe, I DO expect such a thing of any good written OS, I do NOT expect a GOOD OS to crash each two hours or having to reboot after each minor change or having the whole system to 'freeze' suddenly. With Linux and BeOS, I've never had such things, only with Windows 9x I experienced such discomfort (thank God there is always the resetbutton!). Go ahead, call me a Windows hater and you're right, 'cause after each systemcrash I can almost erase this whole f******g OS without having any regret.
    Sincerely,

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been *trying* to use it for a week now; it hasn't crashed. And Win98 crashes at least once a day on me too. I might not be getting rid of Win3.1 just yet, but as soon as I get WinMe I am throwing Windows 98 out of my *real* windows. I despise that product. Ugh.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Mac os 4-5 years are there other operating systems?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macintosh=expensive/stable
    Windows9x=less expensive/extremely unstable
    Linux=free/most stable
    BeOS=free/quite stable

Which one should you chose?

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garret?

So you seem to be a Macfanatic hé... Yes tere are others.. Like WINDOWS... the bestest OS EVER made.

And Elledan...you seem always the have the opposite opinion as mine... Why do you say Windows is unstable? Cause you couldn't tame Windows? Because weren't able to make it that it wouldn't crash? Or do you except a computer to run from 7 o'clock in the morning to 12PM night without a reboot (but not a forced one).

Christophe

------------------
    http://freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've crashed linux several times. I did just 1/2 an hour ago. I had a remotely mounted network drive and that computer crashed. Since I was using it, Linux freezes all the terminals. Fine. I go and remove all the mount point, but it still won't unfreeze. I finally manage to umount the drive, but the computer starts acting weird and I have to reboot. It freezes while trying to reboot.

Linux does have some very rough points, but all things considered, it is much more reliable then Windows 9x, NT, and most Mac configurations (but I hesitate to say a clean Mac system) put together.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C64 DOS
    C64 Basic(Not really an OS but it runs the C64)
    Windows 3.1
    MS DOS
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Redhat Linux
    FreeBSD Unix

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owen: Linux requires about 32 megs of ram. I had the same problem till I upgraded. I recently installed Free BSD and I like it better than linux. It comes with tons of great packages, apache, and more, plus its free!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought Linux Mandrake. Going to give it a run now, we'll see how it goes...

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by from.mars:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Linux requires about 32 megs of ram. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I have seen Linux run in 4 megs of RAM on a 386 computer. Embedded Linux systems run on as little as 1 meg of RAM and 2 megs of ROM.

What you should have said is "To use the GUI, Linux needs 32 megs of ram".

------------------
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh? I didn't mention memory. (But you do make a good point) However, it doesn't matter how much physical memory you have - the swap partition will cover for it presuming you have one. I have 64 megs physical and 128 megs swap. My computer at work (the one I was talking about) had 512 megs of RAM and roughly the same for swap and was a new machine from SGI, so you know that the hardware side is pretty safe. (In case you are wondering it was running SGI Linux 6.2 which is basically RedHat 6.2.)

I do want to try FreeBSD sometime... maybe I'll add a 4th OS to my personal computer... or get a webserver running it.

Owen

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by from.mars:
    Owen: Linux requires about 32 megs of ram. I had the same problem till I upgraded. I recently installed Free BSD and I like it better than linux. It comes with tons of great packages, apache, and more, plus its free!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I had rehat 6.1 with 16 megs of ram and it took forever to boot the thing, way before X even comes up. Once I upgraded the ram to 32, it came up within seconds! Now that I have been using FreeBSD, I have found it to be much better than Redhat Linux. It works better, X isn't set to automaticly start, and it is packed with tons of free packages that aren't included with other Distros. It even has emulators, messengers, and even security related programs like a BackOrifice Client.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by freesources:
    the bestest OS EVER made.

Because weren't able to make it that it wouldn't crash? Or do you except a computer to run from 7 o'clock in the morning to 12PM night without a reboot (but not a forced one).

Christophe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

as to the first thing here ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha just forget it don't make me laugh!! you do know that windows 2000 has a reported 28,000 known problems right?, and that reports by microsoft?

i think i'm going to have to side with Elledan here , Linux is good and stable not sure about BEos but so is a Mac, i don't expect to have to MAKE a computer so that it does'nt crash, it just should'nt thats what good os's do and as for running a computer all day without crashing thats normal! only silly pcs crash outright - other systems have this habit of telling you that they are running out of memory and just will not open another app or do what your asking - simple.

Gar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another question: which OS crashes during the installation? Or shows multiple blue screens when you're installing drivers right after the installation? Linux and BeOS doesn't even have to reboot before you can start working with it, while Win9x has to reboot four (!) times before you finally can start! And that's called a stable OS by Microsoft? Even their website runs on a Linux server...

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually Microsoft.com runs on 15 or 30 IIS/Win2k boxes. Hotmail doesn't run on Linux either, it runs on FreeBSD.

As for 'stable,' I opened Photoshop and mIRC. With 256 MB of RAM, even. It froze--"Your system is low on virtual memory."

What's funny is that I'm now on a Mac with 64MB of RAM and netscape, IE, Photoshop, Bryce, and poser open.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quinn:
    Virtual Memory is one thing... You didn't tell us you were getting that error. How much disk space do you have on the partition with NT2K? You should have at least 64 megs dedicated to virtual memory on your system.

Elledan:
    I don't know about you but I have only ever had Windows 9X reboot once during installation. I have tried to install Red Hat Linux 3 times in the past and never had a workable computer afterwards, this was following their step-by-step instructions. I had chosen Red-Hat on the press they were getting, I have since found out that they don't have the best implementation. Next time I try Linux I will use a different distribution. That won't be for 6 months though because I can't afford to have my computer go down again right now.

------------------
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by d3v:
    Actually Microsoft.com runs on 15 or 30 IIS/Win2k boxes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I saw UNIX errors a few times on Microsoft.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:
    I don't know about you but I have only ever had Windows 9X reboot once during installation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    When I clean install Windows, Windows automatically reboots itself 4 times or so.
    ------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

[This message has been edited by trcfreebies (edited July 17, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by d3v:
    What's funny is that I'm now on a Mac with 64MB of RAM and netscape, IE, Photoshop, Bryce, and poser open.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that ain't funny thats a system that works!!!!

Gar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:

Elledan:
    I don't know about you but I have only ever had Windows 9X reboot once during installation. I have tried to install Red Hat Linux 3 times in the past and never had a workable computer afterwards, this was following their step-by-step instructions. I had chosen Red-Hat on the press they were getting, I have since found out that they don't have the best implementation. Next time I try Linux I will use a different distribution. That won't be for 6 months though because I can't afford to have my computer go down again right now.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm using SuSe Linux 6.3 right now, maybe you could try it too.
    Another thing about Windows: I've just reinstalled it, for about five days and now already the system is slowing down while Linux runs just as fast, even though it's on my HD for more than a week. In those five days I've had 9 blue screens, more than 15 errors, IE caused a general protection fault and the system froze one time after explorer had done something wrong. And this is only the score after five days...

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a min. of 384 and a max. of 784 MB for my virtual memory on drive C: (I have several partitions over several HDs). The problem seems to have died down a bit.

Aidan:
    What UNIX errors have you seen on microsoft.com? Both MS Backstage and Netcraft show that "microsoft.com is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on Windows 2000."

I don't think you're talking about 404, 403, etc. errors because those are all HTTP (and also platform-independent) errors.

According to Netcraft, the only Microsoft-owned domain that uses and UNIX flavor is download.microsoft.com.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember the site or the error, it just cracked me up that MS had a UNIX error.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com