SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only server of MS that runs on something different from Win2k is Hotmail, this one runs on FreeBSD.
    It seems that I was wrong again about MS... But I'm sure that they'll never use Windows98 or ME for a server

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft do use Unix on some of their servers not just for HotMail, I don't know which ones but they do.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services
    "Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Microsoft bought hotmail, hotmail was running on SPARCs. They switched over to NT and NT couldn't handle the site, so they had to stay with UNIX.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd never host my site on a server that runs NT...

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just kidding!

It's just that I prefer a Linux server above one that runs NT, I didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm sorry if I did...

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think your a fool for making that decision Elledan. I can't see why you would want to limit your options in any way.

But its your decision.

Don't tell me about security reports on hacker sites either because most of them are so anti-microsoft they are sure to be biased. Hotmail is another non-issue in my opinion because it well never run on NT without massive re-programming not because NT can't handle it. I personally review each program's/website's requirements and pick the best solution for the end-user.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh, but wait.....I previously checked on hotmail before making that post by using telnet to check the http headers on hotmail and it used to show as UNIX. I just checked now and it is currently running Windows 2000!

Check for yourself, follow the steps below

1 Open telnet
    2 Connect to hotmail.com port 80
    3 Type in "post / HTTP/1.0

You will get an http header, then an error, but you will see the Server as IIS 5.

------------------
    Wes
    wes@demoney.net
    http://www.demoney.com/www
    http://www.600webstudios.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hotmail is trying to change to Win2000. About 10% of their servers run Win2000 and the rest run linux/bsd. Eventrally they will move to Win. Who know if it will work correctly, tho.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serious? How much memory did that machine have? 32/64 MB? Else it wouldn't even start booting, I guess.

BTW I've installed SuSe Linux on the same 486 and it works perfect, I'm only trying to get the Xserver running.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    http://emudreams.tsx.org

Everyone has a destiny in life. Some just never reach it

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Elledan (far up in this topic):
    Ever seen an 486 with Win95 after 2 years? (never try it at home!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I have actually tried running win98 on a 486. Even after installing it took over a couple of minutes to boot. (Obviously)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main computer isn't much better than a 486, and I run Windows 98, BeOS, RedHat Linux, and Linux Mandrake off of it. It is a p166 with 80MB RAM.

I also have a 486 (66MHz, 16MB of RAM) that runs just Windows 98. It is very reliable - in fact it has not crashed ONCE EVER! However, it is pretty slow, and not fun at all.

I have Netscape 6PR1 installed on it and it took a very very long time to load. But besides that, performance is pretty good considering what it is.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We currently have 50 ruggedized laptops running Windows 95 with 16 megs of memory and a 1.5 gig harddrives. 45 have 486/66 processors in them and 5 have 133 MHZ Pentiums. Each machine is 2 years old and cost the company $5000 a piece (yeah it comes out to $250,000).

These machines work great on our wireless network with customized software for communication over Bellsouth's Mobitec network, GPS telemetry and a highly sophisticated messaging application.

The machines also work very hard as they are mounted in patrol cars where the internal temperatures can reach 140 degrees fahrenheit in the summer and almost freezing in the winter. You can drop these machines from 5 feet and they bounce. They'll survive water depths of up to 50 feet while turned on and still be functioning when you pull them out. 49 of our units are in active duty while the 50th sits in the Patrol Manager's office. Unit #50 is BER (Beyond Economical Repair). It was in a patrol car that caught fire and was totally destroyed. We sent the unit to the manufacturer and they were able to boot it up and retrieve important data over the network, no recovery tools were needed. The machine still works to this day but the magnesium case is melted in a couple of places.

Just in case your wondering about these machines you can see them on the web at Itronix. We are currently using the 6250 and its earlier sibling the 6000. Only the 6250 is still available though. Hopefully soon we will get our Fex21 evaluation model from the same company. Similar features as above but its about the size of a large paperback book and runs Windows CE.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com