SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Message board newbie questions

I'm doing a site for an organization and it will require a messageboard. I haven't installed one yet and I don't know where to begin.

So I have a bunch of questions that hopefully you guys can help me with:

a) Are there any really good and secure remotely hosted free message board?

b) what are the disadvantages of such a message board?

c) If I need to install and run my own, what do I need to have and learn? (I'm a PHP newbie and totally ignorant in mysql)

d)Are there any scripts I can use for this?
    http://www.soapbox101.com

Forum Mathematics Geek Agent Dwarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Message board newbie questions

EzBoard is all I can think of on top of my head. Try a search.

It doesn't look professional, and unless you pay a fee, you have ugly, disturbing ads. Usually they aren't as flexible, too.

c) If I need to install and run my own, what do I need to have and learn? (I'm a PHP newbie and totally ignorant in mysql)
    All you need to know is your MySQL details (get this from your webmaster).

Yes, many. For free ones, Check this thread out, it's on another forum.

I heard phpBB and Invision Board are excellent.

If you're willing to pay, vBulletin is the only way to go. http://vbulletin.com. $85 for a year and $160 to own, I believe. Powerful, secure, and easy to set up.

Hope that helped

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Message board newbie questions

Originally posted by Agent Dwarf

EzBoard is all I can think of on top of my head. Try a search.

It doesn't look professional, and unless you pay a fee, you have ugly, disturbing ads. Usually they aren't as flexible, too.

All you need to know is your MySQL details (get this from your webmaster).

Yes, many. For free ones, Check this thread out, it's on another forum.

I heard phpBB and Invision Board are excellent.

If you're willing to pay, vBulletin is the only way to go. http://vbulletin.com. $85 for a year and $160 to own, I believe. Powerful, secure, and easy to set up.

Hope that helped
    yes, EZBOARDS is the first that comes to my head too. also, if you want, try Network54. i found that to be good to use when i first started out.
    if you want to make your own (reccommended), you'll probably have to buy space, PHP/MySQL compatible, and bandwidth, because most free sites wont give you this for free. i would recommend vbulletin, tho i have very little experience with it, it is very good from what i have seen. if you dont have the money, the next popular choice is phpBB (its free). with forums like these, its very easy to use (you dont have to know mysql/php unless you want to get really advanced) it has their own database manager, admin control panels, etc.
    my friend made a forum on this site called Bobby.Net (http://bb.bobby.net) you can upgrade to not get the ads. i would really recommend buying your own space for a forum, you have much more control over it.
    InQuE

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Message board newbie questions

Originally posted by goma
    If you've go with phpBB, it's very easy to set-up, even with almost no knowledge. The installation page asks for a few MySQL Details that you can find out from your hosting company. I recently installed a phpBB forum onto a site and found that the only hard part is customizing the look to your site, such as colors and graphics. But if you don't mind the default, you're fine. Also, phpBB has a great community forum where you can get all the help you need.

Good luck!
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies everyone

Some friends also recommend PhpBB. But I think I should confirm with the hosting I have in mind if they have mysql on their servers.
    http://www.soapbox101.com

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are "decent" ones, but if you plan to build a large site or want easy access to your data, I don't recommend them.

Can't get your data very easily if you want to upgrade to some other type of forum. Limited customization.

You don't really need to know much more than basic CPanel use and how to type in database names, etc.

If you can afford it, vBulletin is a little better than phpBB, in my opinion. Otherwise, I use phpBB on 4 sites and recommend it. If you need help with it, you can visit http://www.phpbbhacks.com - which is my site.

Good luck, let me know if you have anymore questions (posting here would be fine).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use OpenBB and I like it very much... It's really neat, altough costumization may take a while.
    zweistein.web - tips&tricks for webmasters, music, programming, computers, Python, etc. new!!! English version, too!
    email | ICQ: 161202879 | AIM: zweistein2169