SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft just introduced the brand new Internet Explorer 5.5 . I downloaded it and it works great

------------------
    Have A Nice Day
    Webmaster
    webmaster@supernovanetworks.com
    http://www.supernovanetworks.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was actually released about 1-2weeks ago.

------------------
    James Ussher-Smith jamesus@lineone.net
    640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981

[This message has been edited by James (edited August 09, 2000).]

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it was released about two weeks ago. Several friends of mine have messed around with it but said it is still buggy (just like all newly released Microsoft software ). I've been using IE 5.5 beta for several months and it has suited me just fine. You'd think though that the final release would be less buggy than the beta version, rather than vice versa. Go figure.

------------------
    Eric Radtke - SitePoint Chat Addict
    InterSurge Internet - Linux Website Hosting
    DomainMailings.com - Who says all the good domains are taken?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But then again the Beta release was not feature complete, so the final version has more features - therefore more code for bugs to creep into.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services
    "Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beta had almost all of the final features - Microsoft aren't silly enough to introduce brand new features at the late beta stages. So I think it is unlikely that there were more bugs in the final than the betas.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone of you guys tried Netscape 6 PR2?
    I've downloaded it yesterday, and it runs great! Except for the long loading time when you start the program, I think that it is a major improvement on NS 4.x and IE 5.0.

If you take a look at the Anandtech forums, you'll see there a lot of guys who had trouble running IE 5.5 and went back to 5.0, so I presume that this 'new' browser isn't totally flawless.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    http://elledan.virtualave.net
    Everyone has a destiny in life. Some just never reach it

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5.5 is not recommended for users of Windows 95 or NT4. While IE 5.5 will run on this systems, it has been recommended by MS engineers not to install it on them.

It was developed for Windows 98 and NT 2000. Just like Windows Media Player 7.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm definitely not going to upgrade just for IE 5.5

I'd rather wait for that Whistler OS that Microsoft is making...

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is whistler OS?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am waiting for Windows Millenium

I'll be using Windows 2000 and WindowsME sicne they each have what I need.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Sparkie:
    What is whistler OS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something wluke mentioned before, it sounds pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by eradtke:
    I've been using IE 5.5 beta for several months and it has suited me just fine. You'd think though that the final release would be less buggy than the beta version, rather than vice versa. Go figure.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would really want to comment this.

I've used the beta of IE 5.5 right from the beginning and it crashed every day twice, it didn't work well with Outlook Express and there were a lot of problems with 404 error pages. Now in the full version which I have installed two weeks ago I have NO problems. It hasn't crashed. Only twice and that was on the same website/day. I clicked a link which was probably javascript manipulated and it was probably something like Elledan's 'little prank'. So this wasn't IE's fault.

I find IE 5.5 extremely stable and bugfree. It also hasnt produced me any errors that sometimes accured when using older versions of IE and the use of ICQ.

Maybe your friends did not give IE 5.5 a real chance. It is impossible that the Beta of IE 5.5 was better than the full version. I KNOW it. I tested it for 4 months.

Christophe

------------------
    Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
    WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows Millenium which should come out in retail stores next month will include IE 5.5. Windows ME will be the last version of the OS that includes the hybrid 16/32 bit kernal for backwards compatibility.

Whistler is the code name for the new OS which will replace both NT 2000 and Windows Millenium. Whistler Beta 1 comes out in October which means it will probably be ready for retail in 1st or 2nd quarter 2002. Maybe as early as 3rd quarter 2001.

Whistler incorporates a new kernal based on the Windows 2000 kernal. It will be a hybrid 32/64 bit kernal (on Intel and compatible CPUs) and will support the same software that 2000 and ME supports.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded from IE 5.0 to IE 5.5 and my browser went nuts...half the time it would freeze up upon its launch; a total nightmare. Thankfully, my computer gave me the option to revert back to the original version of IE I had on my computer when I first took it out of the box: IE 4...this didn't support much in terms of CSS and such (at least compared to what I'm used to), but it functioned properly.

I'm just hitting myself over the head trying to get IE 5.0 installed like it was before; so far with no luck.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer chris@mycoding.com
    MyCoding.com: Visit for Launch Notification!
    DomainMailings.com: Who Says All The Good Ones Are Taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk About Your Favorite Flicks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I want to say that IE5.5 worked fine for me. They have this cool thing where you can right-click on the scroll bar and do the usual things from a pop-up menu. Not particularly useful, but very cool..

Owen

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Maybe your friends did not give IE 5.5 a real chance. It is impossible that the Beta of IE 5.5 was better than the full version. I KNOW it. I tested it for 4 months.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    All I can say is they tested the full version for several days and could tell right off the bat that there were several noticeable bugs that the beta version did not have. Don't expect me to remember what they were though, this was over two weeks ago.

I've been using IE 5.5 beta since its release several months ago, and I have been just fine with it. If there was anything really desirable to me in the full version, maybe I would consider using it, but not with the added bugs. IE crashes often enough for me already, I don't need any more problems. Let me just add though that this latest beta has a much lower crash rate than previous versions I have used.

------------------
    Eric Radtke - SitePoint Chat Addict
    InterSurge Internet - Linux Website Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me state AGAIN that in more than two weeks that I have 5.5 Internet Explorer has crashed 2 times. But because it was on the same day and the same site I'm going to investigate on another computer to see if it wasn't the 'elledan' bugg who did it.

It is kindof weird and insane that Internet Explorer 5.5 runs so differently on different PCs.

TWTCommish: I'm really interested to know what differnce there is between our computers that it works completely different. I'll try to catch you online some day. So sorry you have probs with it. Me, being the one who recommended it.

Maybe I have the perfect system... And I actually never downloaded any Windows Update thing. Although I'm going to take a llok at their website for some important updates...

Christophe

------------------
    Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
    WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had IE 5.5 beta for about 2 months now, and I upgraded to the final version the day it came out...and I don't think it has crashed once (not even the beta). And I have an old system (AMD 233, 64Mb RAM).
    I have not found any bugs that actually cause crashes or other problems with my PC.

------------------
    James Ussher-Smith, jamesus@lineone.net
    640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    freesources:
    IE 5.5 beta has crashed, on average, about twice every day or two ever since I have been using it. This is pretty reasonable for Explorer, which has been known to crash several times a day for me with previous versions. I don't know if the full version causes any more or less crashes, but until patches are out for the existing bugs then I will be staying away from it. Just a personal preference, not trying to influence what other people decide to do.

------------------
    Eric Radtke - Visit SitePoint Chat!
    InterSurge Internet - Linux Web Hosting