Thread: Cj Question

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cj Question

hello,

I was wondering when does CJ update their stats? It can't be in real-time because when I clicked on a link it stillshowed what it was at before....,

thanks

Bruno Delepierre
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I assumed that they do have real time stats for transactions but I'm not sure that they are real time for clicks . However you should log-in again to see the changes anyway. Just click a cj link and log in to your account. In my opinion it's not important anyway: cj is a reputable company unlike some other affiliate networks out there. You do get your money so real time click stats aren't that important.

Hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, from my experience, different sections of reporting, etc., are updated in different frequencies.

First, ignore all the mini reports on the first page you see after login. Those are the slowest to update (I think they are changed on regular schedules, some of them daily, etc.).

Second, my understanding of the CJ system is that there are "transaction" servers that record everything and then other "crunching" servers which read the data from those servers and load it into the master database which means it finally goes into reports and balances.

I have a site that can push hundreds of transactions within hours after sending an e-mail newsletter. I often leave the transaction history page loaded in one of my browsers and refresh it every 15 - 30 minutes or so. When I was first trying to figure it out, I watched it for about an hour refreshing 1 - 2 times per minute.

The "lag" from a completed transaction to reporting of that transaction can vary significantly. In some cases it takes an hour or two for the transaction to show up. In others, it shows up within a few minutes.

Over a longer sampling of time (after two years of watching this), it seems to me that CJ's systems consume the data in five minute intervals and it doesn't necessarily pocess all data in any given interval during peak times. I've seen transactions come in out of order. I've seen 40 minutes go by with no transactions and in the next 3 minutes 100 transactions show up that were done in the last 40 minutes.

My observations are exactly that, observations, and should not be taken as fact. I'm relying on only the side of the system that I can see and observe and I could be way out in left field.

What I do know for a fact is that the system is what I'd refer to as "near real time" with slight delays which can vary in length depending on a number of factors. It wasn't until some considerably time watching it that I came to the personal conclusion that it appears to be loaded in five minute intervals and that conclusion results from a system whereby I have SID's (specific user transaction ID's) and was able to watch a streaming output of link hits from my website in one monitor while reloading cj reports in another, and noticing that transactions seemed to be loaded in mini batches rather then any specific systematic manner.

Again, nothing concrete, just my observations and opinions based on those observations.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Real Time" does not mean "immediately." I think CJ's help/FAQ section even says something about that.