SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first website was on Geocites. Dont laugh but it was a Pokemon website, i knew nothing about design but my site became very popular.
    At its height it was getting 50 pageviews a day. I signed up with safe-audit but i never really made any money. When geocites merged with yahoo all site wouldnt show up and i decided i just would leave it.

Ive tried a few other things but that was my first experience in web design. I am now way better at designing sites and i know most html code.

In this thread share your first website experience.

(oh and by the way any member sites still with geocities dont show up unless you re-signup.)

------------------
    Have A Nice Day
    Webmaster
    webmaster@supernovanetworks.com
    http://www.supernovanetworks.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first site was 6 or 7 years ago. Prodigy was my ISP and I had my page hosted through them that way.

It was a typical teenager site, fire, barbed wire horizontal bars, naked women. The most complicated thing I made for it was an image map and a transparent gif. Of course that was about as complicated you could get back then.

Chris

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first site (1996) was for anthropomorphic 'furry' art (that is, animals with human characteristics..). that I draw on occasion.

It got a lot of visits and great feedback, but I eventually took it down because I didnt have time to work on it anymore. At that time I didnt know a whole lot about the mechanics of web design, and now that I do, I think I'll reinstate the site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kept my first page that made it to the net. It's not too bad, is it? http://www.pbbt.com/old/ and http://www.pbbt.com/old/humor/ I first made them around 1997, but have recently (last year) added some links and traffic stat buttons to figure how many people are visiting and where links are coming from so I can update the links.

It has enough keywords in it that search engines love it so that's why I put links everywhere to my new site.

One of my pages (top ten reasons macs suck) is actually pretty popular. And I just added a nifty poll thing to it. (though people constantly complain about it being outdated. I always reply "that's why its at pbbt.com/old" )

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first site online (My actual first design was an offline portal) is located at http://surf.to/levada

But I don't know it is still available though... It should be.. Just try... It is amazingly gray )

Oh yeah.. I developed it 1.4 years ago with FPExpress

Christophe

------------------
    Freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site
    WebmasterCJ design - opening new worlds for small prices

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My really first web-site was created at 15. I always have been interested in open source and exchanging them with others to bring out cool useful software in the end. The most complicated thing was to find a name for a company. Something like Odyssey Systems, wouldn't be too wrong and quickly found a free host: Freeservers.com or dencity.com. After some time I discovered that this name is already taken (for some water systems).

But hey, I must admit that my web-site at that time looked very ugly! Black text on a darkblue background. Veeery simple tables for the nav at the top and below just text (not surrounded by <td> ). I'm very proud of my knowledge in HTML and as the reviews of my design says: I'm did some good work.

And yes, Pokemon pages are very popular now. When I was in Japan I liked Pokemon but soon I trashed everything about it Sorry that I didn't visit your site, Supernova. At that time I didn't even know what the Internet is...

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann - matt@icosmoss.com
    Need some source code?
    icosmoss.com - The Open Source Community

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first site was on Geocities too - and it's still there! ROFLMAO

If you really wanna see it, then drop over to http://www.geocities.com/musakmaster but I haven't updated that thang in about 2 years now. Moved on to bigger and better things. Oh well.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built my first site in 1993/94, you can imagine what THAT was like. The most complicated thing you could do was insert an image! Anyway, it is still on a server called JUMPER which my friend runs. ATM it is sitting in his bedroom looking for a new home, so if anyone in the UK wants to give JUMPER a home please let me know.

------------------
    www.gib-online.com
    The Rock of Gibraltar on the WEB
    www.urban-studios.com
    ...for all your IT solutions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clicked one of your links in the java app (aaah!) that went to your school's homepage. I love the popup menu to get nearby attractions. One of the items was bars. Hehe.

Aaah the music!

Owen

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by BC:
    My first site was on Geocities too - and it's still there! ROFLMAO

If you really wanna see it, then drop over to http://www.geocities.com/musakmaster but I haven't updated that thang in about 2 years now. Moved on to bigger and better things. Oh well.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got AOL in 1994 (after seeing a bunch of ads on Nickelodean to go to Keyword: Nick...so we got AOL). After about 6 months I got bored with AOL and I made a website - JRS385's Homepage - with AOLPress. I ran that for a while, then moved on to making a more advanced, non-personal-homepage website (I'd tell you what my second website was...but then I'd feel really dumb - it's worse than Pokemon). And I have also since moved on to more advanced ISPs.

(Gotta learn how to spell)

[This message has been edited by JRS385 (edited August 10, 2000).]

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owen, pathetic ain't it? ROFLMAO

Yeah, those were the days before I knew JScript properly.... I'm gonna archive that site when I get my new blog site back up....

Btw, in case you were wondering, that music midi is about 168Ks. Ouch!