SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if some here have a 'mentor' site or a website they look up to, whether its design style, content, or otherwise, I'm curious to know what sites give you inspiration.

And NO you cannot answer SitePoint. We all want to be like Matt

------------------
    Sparkie - SitePoint Moderator
    www.pawsitronic.com - The Site to Suit your Style!
    ICQ# 82621206 MSN: sparkiecat@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there goes my first answer!

I look up to ScreamDesign.com...not a mentor design, but I hope to be able to create metal/wire effects like that someday. Not that I'd ever make a site with such a huge load time, but it'd be nice to be able to.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer chris@mycoding.com
    MyCoding.com: Visit for Launch Notification!
    DomainMailings.com: Who Says All The Good Ones Are Taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk About Your Favorite Flicks!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.alistapart.com www.tema.ru http://style.verso.com/

to name a few...

not for the design itself but for the design philosophy

[This message has been edited by temis (edited August 07, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.loveme.com/

Feel the love.

------------------
    Mike Fisher
    Hypertrophy Design
    matrix@hypertrophy.thinkhost.com

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design of http://www.macgeneration.com/

------------------
    Matthias Hagemann

Need some source code?
    icosmoss.com - The Open Source Community

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of sites that that I look up to for inspiration, depending on what theme I'm trying to design. For professional business I like www.necxdirect.com and ,www.sausage.com, for flash capibilities I LOVE .www.anygivensunday.net. For design and content I like the javascript help site www.webcoder.com.

As I surf the net, I always look for sites I like and don't like and try and figure out why I feel the way I do, weither it's the colors used, layout, or navigation. I then try to use (or not use... depending) what I observe in the sites I design.

I've enjoyed reading through the "what are the worst 'prefessional' websites ever seen" threads. Thanks for the laughs.

[This message has been edited by HotDog (edited August 07, 2000).]

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have one site I look up to, it's more that I get my ideas from many other sites (not all of my ideas, luckily) and I try to combine those pieces with the site I'm designing.

The site that I'm designing at the moment, TriAxis , is totally my style, although I admit that I've used pieces of other sites, including the ones I've reviewed.

Good ideas just survive while the weak ones get endangered and die.

I don't think there is such a thing as 'the ultimate site' since no site can be perfect. What looked almost perfect four years ago is now being laughed at like in the thread on this forum 'What is the WORST website you've seen?'. I must admit that some of those sites looked really dreadful, even for 1996, though.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    www.emudreams.web.com
    Everyone has a destiny in life. Some just never reach it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Elledan:
    I don't have one site I look up to, it's more that I get my ideas from many other sites (not all of my ideas, luckily) and I try to combine those pieces with the site I'm designing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is so true, especially when I first started out a couple of years ago. I would see how someone did something and use it in what I wanted to do.

One thing I've found is you can't have a 'one type fits all' design type. A site should look like other sites with the same theme. For example, I wouldn't design a business site, like a bank or legal office, the same way I would design a shed business site. You have to keep in mind who is visiting your site and taylor to that audiance. Like you would dress differently depending on if you were going to a Broadway musical of a rock concert.

When I'm asked to design a site, I first spend some time looking at other sites of the same theme. I find ones I like and ones I don't. I see how they navigate and common catigories. I then take my notes and try and come up with better ways of doing what the compitition is doing, while trying to maintain the same standards.

The difference in my mind between a good web designer and a GREAT web designer is one that can design a website within the "parameters" of its class theme, but give it that extra little something that makes its visiters think "now that's cool". The sites that give me that "now that's cool" feeling are the sites I take note of and try and figure out why I feel that way. And then make it better. (God, this is starting to sound a lot like the Microsoft business philosophy, 'why come up with your own ideas when you can just steal the ideas of your competion.') You have to be origional and use your own ideas, but you also have to stay within the sites parameters.

The biggest problem I have is overkill. I spend more time trimming off fat than anything else. The sad truth is more often than not "less is more".

One of my most favorite sites is www.webpagesthatsuck.com. Never wanting to make his list helps more than anything.

OK, I'm shutting up now.

Joe Eliason

[This message has been edited by HotDog (edited August 07, 2000).]

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely www.andyart.com (now known as Scream Design). That guy has been around for years and he is good. www.sausage.com
    And also, when it comes to usability etc no one can beat Jakob Nielsen www.useit.com

------------------
    www.gib-online.com
    The Rock of Gibraltar on the WEB
    www.urban-studios.com
    ...for all your IT solutions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <advisor edit>

URL removed!

Bringing a thread back from the dead (this thread has been dead for over a year now) so that you can use it to place a plug for your web site could be viewed as SPAMMING and at the least is bad netiquette.

I notice that you have not yet taken the opportunity to place a link to your site within your signature (which you can edit from your profile). This is the appropriate place for self promotion. Please read the guidelines for more information on what you can put into your signature.

Best of luck with your site.

</advisor edit>

but .. hell.. i only just used templates for my site! didn't know a thing, my motto is:
    if there's a will, there's a way, brute force all the way!

Last edited by freakysid; Nov 26, 2001 at 12:39.
    all about knives? what would i know about em? oh well.. whatever!
    I'm a certified Ninjai fanatic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.cnet.com and all the sites on this network! They are the best in the way they have organized the content and the layout of the site.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man, this is an old thread...hehehe
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha yer it is... 2nd time lucky!

well i look upto any site that meets 3 requirments.
    1) nice design, i HATE poorly designed sites.
    2) easy navigation, nothing beats being able to find my way around a site.
    3) Informative, even if a site has little content, if it is good then i like the site, and im willing to ditch point 1 for a point 3 if i have to, but i will still look for a better site.

an example of a site/network i HATE, is internet.com, imo they have WAAAAY to much self promotion on all(generaly, i know there are a FEW good sites) there sites, this then means point 1 and 2 dont exist, (as you are lost in a maze of links) and i know somewhere there point 3 does exist, its just to hard to find.

and well yer, i look upto sitepoint... kinda obviouse that one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look up to http://www.2advanced.com

I love their simple but amazing looking Flash work.
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of days ago I was bored and just typed a few ridiculos domains in, as I often do, to see if anyone has got them. One of them is http://www.plasticmonkey.com

I am not really inspired by this site or anything but thought that there is some cool stuff. Personally I look at sites like amazon, cnet, etc., the sites that have been "designed by real pros for the use of common people". Obviously these people spend a lot of time, money etc., looking at not only the design aspect but also usability.
    http://ProgrammingBids.com-Get bids on Design, Scripts, Programming..
    http://WebHost Requests.com - request/post quotes on web hosting plans for FREE!
    http://Smallbiz Marketplace.com - small business + office services: request for or bid!
    http://Smallbiz Advice.com - get expert advice or be an advisor and earn money (new!)

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GUIStuff has always impressed me. This guy is phenomenal. I like MSN for the way content is laid out. CDNOW is a pretty clean site. Last, but not least is MySimon. Why? They get a lot of business. Thye must be doing something right!